Things someone else just wanted to say......

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Things someone else just wanted to say......

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 pm

"I got into the car and drove to the nearest bar 10 miles away. When I pulled into the parking lot there sat our rider-mower right by the entrance. He'd driven that mower right down a main highway. He looked up and saw me and said, ‘Well, fellas, here she is now. My little wife, I told you she'd come after me.’"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22 pm

NOTHING CONFIRMS RAMPANT STUPIDITY FASTER...
Than reading reviews of my own movies. I usually try to avoid the experience - but this one takes the cake. Often, to my great amusement, a critic will mention my past films in glowing terms, when at the time those same films were savaged, as if to highlight the critic's flawed belief of my descent into mediocrity. You see, my dear fellow FBookers, I have rarely gotten great reviews… on any of my movies, apart from those by reviewers who think for themselves and make up their own opinions. Sadly those type of reviewers are nearly all dead. Good reviews often come many years after the movie has opened. I guess I have the knack of rubbing reviewers the wrong way - always have. This time of course they have bigger axes to grind - they can rip into my movie while trying to make their mainly pale asses look so politically correct by screaming "white-wash!!!” like the deranged idiots they all are. They fail to understand, or chose to pretend to not understand what this movie is, so as to serve some bizarre consensus of opinion which has nothing to do with the movie at all. That’s ok, this modern age of texting will probably make them go the way of the dinosaur or the newspaper shortly - don't movie-goers text their friends with what they thought of a movie? Seems most critics spend their time trying to work out what most people will want to hear. How do you do that? Why these days it is so easy... just surf the net to read other reviews or what bloggers are saying - no matter how misguided an opinion of a movie might be before it actually comes out. Lock a critic in a room with a movie no one has even seen and they will not know what to make of it. Because contrary to what a critic should probably be they have no personal taste or opinion, because they are basing their views on the status quo. None of them are brave enough to say “well I like it” if it goes against consensus. Therefore they are less than worthless. Now that anyone can post their opinion about anything from a movie to a pair of shoes to a hamburger, what value do they have - nothing. Roger Ebert wasn’t bad. He was a true film lover at least, a failed film-maker, which gave him a great deal of insight. His passion for film was contagious and he shared this with his fans. He loved films and his contribution to cinema as a result was positive. Now we have a pack of diseased vultures pecking at the bones of a dying carcass. Trying to peck to the rhythm of the consensus. I applaud any film-goer who values their own opinion enough to not base it on what the pack-mentality say is good or bad.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:26 pm

So, what some of them are saying now is that they don't care if Nadiya committed a crime or not--she has to stay locked up because of her "antipathy to everything Russian."

There are some signs of antipathy:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Raguber wrote:

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:11 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:26 pm

LOL SHOOT.

Except "SHOOT" doesn't actually mean shoot.

Yakima Canutt wrote:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:23 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:45 pm

they are saying when Baron Zemo appears in May, he will not be wearing his special purple outfit

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:37 am

Two weeks. It’s been two full weeks since Sleepy Hollow ended a bad third season with one of the most awful, infuriating hours of TV I have ever watched. It was a finale that blew up the show’s soul (nearly literally!)—and even now, I can’t stop thinking about how much I hate it.

I had already pretty well given up on Sleepy Hollow, whose third season had managed to get even worse after its impressive awful second season squandered all the show’s promise (and most of its premise). I was only watching the few remaining episodes out of momentum, mostly, fast-forwarding through the many, many, many bits that didn’t include the show’s two leads, Abbie Mills (Nichole Beharie) and Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison).

That just underscored the show’s main problem: The season’s overarching battle against the shockingly uninteresting foes was a waste of time. But what’s kept fans watching has been the foundational Abbie/Ichabod partnership—which has been the foundation of the entire show.

What Sleepy Hollow did was kill that relationship, forever, by killing off Abbie.

Yes, half of what made the show so durn swell [speaking of Percocet - ed.] in the first place—and half of what kept us watching even as the series slid from mediocrity to abject badness is gone, forever, and the show even managed to make this event as horrible as possible. It would have been irritating enough that Abbie sacrificed herself to save the world from season three’s infuriatingly generic villains, but this is literally the second time she’d done it this season. Her exit wasn’t even original for season three, and Sleepy Hollow didn’t—actually, it couldn’t—give viewers a decent explanation of why this time she was super-permanently dead but the last time she died it was no big deal. Sleepy Hollow spent the entire episode trying to convince us this second death had some kind of emotional impact beyond infuriating us. It failed.

And this dumb, stupid, awful death makes all the bullshit we suffered through over the last two seasons so much worse. Seeing the show squander the initially amazing Abbie/Ichabod relationship was like watching a beloved friend suffer for years from an illness—except when it finally came time for her to be released from her misery, she was brutally murdered instead of passing away with some sort of dignity. Basically, we suffered patiently through two years of crap, waiting for the show to fix the entire damn reason we loved it in the first place, only for the show to suddenly say, “Not only are we not going to fix it, we’re breaking it permanently, and all the time you spent waiting, hoping for it to get better was for nothing.”

Now here’s the thing: Beharie’s departure may not have been Sleepy Hollow’s choice. The Hollywood Reporter says that Beharie had been trying to get off Sleepy Hollow for a while, and nearly managed to convince them to let her die in the mid-season finale. The same article also mentions that Tom Mison had been trying to lessen his screen-time on the show. Both of Sleepy Hollow’s stars suddenly wanted to be on Sleepy Hollow as little as possible, and given the show’s downward spiral of quality after season one, there’s a very obvious reason why.

I don’t blame Beharie for wanting to abandon a show that went from clever to bad to crushingly dull and dumb in three seasons. Nor do I blame Mison for wanting to appear as little as possible in it. Hell, I didn’t even like watching the show for an hour a week. But I absolutely blame the show for its two stars suddenly hating being on it. There’s no way they could have enjoyed the terrible plots and dialogue they were suddenly forced to perform, or how the show turned went from a surprise hit to a slow crushing disappointment, as if it had been secretly waiting to live up to the dismal expectations we’d all had, when we first heard that Fox was remaking Sleepy Hollow but in modern times.

Now to be fair, there is the possibility that Mison and Beharie actually hate each other—this happens on more shows than you might think—and the writers were forced by the actors to diminish the Abbie/Ichabod relationship. This seems unlikely to me, given how natural and genuine their characters’ friendship seemed in season one—but still, they are actors. This is what they’re paid to do! (Although very few actors can completely hide total contempt for their co-stars.)

But even if that were true, it would only explain why the show messed up Ichabod and Abbie—not how it turned the series’ clever mythology into an overcomplicated, overwrought mess in season two, or how it made its two foremost villains into boring, childish bores, or Hawley, or, why, when the show had basically reset itself and dispensed with almost everything besides Abbie and Ichabod for season 3, it completely failed to make the new villains or the new storyline even slightly interesting.

And it also fails to explain how Sleepy Hollow could handle Beharie’s departure and her Abbie’s death so badly that even people who had stopped watching the show were furious about it. It wasn’t just an insult to the character and the actress, it was an insult to every single viewer who had fallen in love with this weird, once wonderful show, and then stuck with it, even as declined.

Apparently, there’s a good chance Fox will renew Sleepy Hollow for a fourth season, where Ichabod Crane will look for a new, predestined partner, as well as a secret, evil-fighting society that George Washington founded (which somehow has never even been alluded to, despite Ichabod spending most of his time dealing with instructions Washington left for him from the past.) It’s possible that this new partner will be a perfect companion, and will finally return Sleepy Hollow to greatness.

I sincerely doubt it. More to the point, I’ll never find out, because I am absolutely not watching this goddamn show when (or if) it returns this fall. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’m still going to be angry four months from now.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:04 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:Now here’s the thing: Beharie’s departure may not have been Sleepy Hollow’s choice.
The pinhed is astonished that anyone whosoever could possibly think it was Sleepy Hollow's choice. She probably figured "been there, done that, now it's time to make some movies."
Nothing could save SH now unless they move it to DC and mash it up with the teenage spy show. But that won't happen because the producers/writers/showrunners lack the pinhedz vision and daring.  

And speaking of Disney, in today's episode the teenage spy has to find a way to prevent Paul Ryan (who has been possessed by demons and been selected to be Trump's running mate) from taking control of the White House after Trump is elected and then eliminated.  affraid
But thinking on that I can't see how Ichabod could be of assistance.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:29 am

Cyborg Ryan and Don Trump are characters on Zendaya's Disney show?  that is that is surprising

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:33 am

What is it with the Hillary cult?

As a lifelong Democrat, I have trouble understanding the fuzzy rosy filter through which Hillary fans see their champion. So much must be overlooked or discounted—from Hillary’s compulsive money-lust and her brazen indifference to normal rules to her conspiratorial use of shadowy surrogates and her sociopathic shape-shifting in policy positions for momentary expedience.

Hillary’s breathtaking lack of concrete achievements or even minimal initiatives over her long public career doesn’t faze her admirers a whit. They have a religious conviction of her essential goodness and blame her blank track record on diabolical sexist obstructionists. When at last week’s debate Hillary crassly blamed President Obama for the disastrous Libyan incursion that she had pushed him into, her acolytes hardly noticed. They don’t give a damn about international affairs—all that matters is transgender bathrooms and instant access to abortion.

I’m starting to wonder, given the increasing dysfunction of our democratic institutions, if the Hillary cult isn’t perhaps registering an atavistic longing for monarchy. Or perhaps it’s just a neo-pagan reversion to idolatry, as can be felt in the Little Italy street festival scene of The Godfather, Part II, where devout pedestrians pin money to the statue of San Rocco as it is carried by in procession. There was a strange analogy to that last week, when Sanders supporters satirically showered Hillary’s motorcade with dollar bills as she arrived at George Clooney’s luxe fund-raiser in Los Angeles.

The gushy indulgence around Hillary in the Manhattan media was typified by Vanessa Friedman’s New York Times piece, “Hillary Clinton’s Message in a Jacket,” after last week’s debate. Evidently oblivious to how she was undermining the rote sexism plank in the Clinton campaign platform, Friedman praised Hillary for “playing the clothing card” against Sanders: Hillary’s long white jacket made her look like “New York’s white knight,” riding to the rescue.

Gee, that sure wasn’t my reaction. My first thought was: “Why is Hillary wearing a lab coat?”

The protective major media phalanx around Hillary certainly extends to her health issues, which only the Drudge Report has had the courage to flag. In assessing possible future occupants of the White House, the public has an inalienable right to know. I was incredulous at the passive gullibility of the media, including the New York Times, last July, when a woman internist, identified as Hillary’s doctor, released a summary letter about her health that was lacking in the specifics one would normally expect in medical records. Does anyone really think that world-renowned Hillary, whose main residence for years has been in Washington and not Chappaqua, has as her primary physician an obscure young internist in Mount Kisco, New York? It’s ludicrous on the face of it.

And what about that persistent cough? “Allergy season,” the hacking Hillary claimed on a New York radio show this week. (“You all right? Any mouth to mouth CPR?” joked a host.) I’m just a Ph.D., not an M.D., but I’ll put my Miss Marple hat on here. Am I the only one who noticed Hillary’s high-wrap collar, pallid, puffy face, and bulging eyes during her choleric New Hampshire primary concession speech in February? (Another unusually high collar followed the next morning.)

My tentative theory is that Hillary may have sporadic flare-ups of goiter, worsened under stress. Coughing is a symptom. High collars mask a swollen throat. In serious cases, an operation may be necessary. Is this chronic thyroid condition disqualifying in a presidential candidate? Certainly not in my view, but I don’t like being lied to—by candidates, campaign staffs, or their media sycophants.

Hillary’s road map to the Democratic nomination was written by “Tricky Dick” Nixon, who after his acrimonious defeat in the 1962 California gubernatorial race doggedly restored his standing in the GOP by doing the “rubber-chicken circuit,” building up the grass-roots connections that allowed him to win the White House six years later. Similarly, Hillary has spent the years since her 2008 loss to Obama in deepening and tightening her relationships with state and local Democratic politicians, community leaders, and urban ministers nationwide—for whom she has assets of infinite largesse.

When pro-Hillary media taunt Bernie Sanders about what his campaign has or has not financially contributed to lower-level Democratic races, they are foolishly exposing Hillary’s modus operandi. Nixon’s rubber chicken has turned into one mighty gilded bird.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 04, 2016 1:36 pm

(this tweeker's pa directed such features as The Kentucky Fried Movie and The Animal House)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 04, 2016 7:20 pm

yeah, it's funny how Abrams, Kennedy, Kasdan said they were all about evoking the original trilogy in TFA, but actually Rey's excessive talent at everything is much more reminiscent of young prequel Anakin than Luke ... oh wait ... oh but ... no ... you don't think ... oh but what if ... OMG ...

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 04, 2016 7:29 pm

and Max Landis, you overstate the case a bit - it's pretty clear Finn is a young trooper, who, when forced to kill civilians for the first time, cannot, and then deserts. Likely ashamed by his former affiliation, he then enjoys the sensation of being mistaken for a resistance hero by Rey, and goes along with the charade, and is swept into the fray.  And he isn't as static as you suggest.  Nor is Rey.  They both have their moments of trepidation and second thoughts midway thru at Maz's joint.  That section of the picture could be called Doubt & Fear at Kanata's Pirate Castle.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 05, 2016 7:38 am

Max Landis, your basic point about Rey being way better at stuff than Luke holds true, but whether this is lazy scripting / feministing / or related to some yet unrevealed plot point, like such as Rey is the granddaughter of The Force Messiah ... we cannot be certain.

Your point of backstory or futurestory not mattering, because we have to know now for the film to work, like such as in Star Wars '77 ... well, Lucas didn't know if he would ever get to make a sequel, so SWars '77 had to work as a self-contained picture.  But like The Phantom Menace, The Force Awakens is known to audiences to be the first of a trilogy, so the fan~base will want some things to be not yet revealed.

And, Max Landis, you cheat a bit by citing Luke-Fails from Episode V and Episode VI, after your initial thesis of comparing Episode IV Luke to Episode VII Rey.  

I will bet dollars to dough-nuts that Bad Stuff happens to Rey in Episode VIII, quite possibly culminating in a Rey-Fail.  The Middle Chapter of these trilogies is known as the Bad Stuff Happening Episode - in Episode II, Obi & Anakin almost get killed by Count Dookus, and have to be saved by Yoder; in Episode V, Luke gets chopped up and is saved by his sister.  Plus, Episode VIII helmer Johnson is less of a conventional crowd-pleaser than Abrams.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 07, 2016 5:00 pm

George Will Is A Haughty Dipshit

George Will should have been left unemployed and starving ages ago. Newspapers are dying off and people despise the media more than they have ever despised the media—which is saying a lot—and yet here fucking George Will remains, along with the Noonans and Friedmans and Brookses of the world, gainfully employed despite being a worthless, fart-sniffing boob. Try as the world might, we can’t seem to rid ourselves of idiot columnists who make $300,000 just to sit down and invent political trends from looking out the fucking parlor window. "The tea leaves tell me that this election will be decided by what I call The Beta Dads."

I don’t get how these people have retained any credibility. It makes me wonder if the Illuminati really DO exist when hundreds of these fuckfaces gather annually at the White House Correspondents Dinner, all seemingly united in an effort to shield Wolf Blitzer from justified ridicule. Wanna know why Trump is stomping a mudhole in the rest of the GOP field? Look at Will’s fucking placeholder column from Sunday:

Republican voters, particularly in Indiana and California, can, by supporting Cruz, make the Republican convention a deliberative body rather than one that merely ratifies decisions made elsewhere some of them six months earlier.

It’s true, because voters don’t deliberate at all. They’re just lever monkeys who cast their ballot by shooting an AK at a wall of candidates while blindfolded. This kind of “We can’t actually take these voting results seriously!” take isn’t Will’s alone. Earlier this spring, Times columnist and ideal hentai porn consumer Ross Douthat essentially said the same shit:

Americans speak and think in the language of democracy, and so these arguments will find an audience, including among party leaders and delegates themselves. But they cut against the deeper wisdom of the American political tradition. The less-than-democratic side of party nominations is a virtue of our system, not a flaw, and it has often been a necessary check on the passions (Trumpian or otherwise) that mass democracy constantly threatens to unleash.

I know! I wish this democracy didn’t have so much DEMOCRACY in it, you know? Once in a while, it’s important to disregard the will of the voters and leave the selection process to people who know BEST. And how do we decide who knows best? Who should be the Mecha Delegates? Well… we’ll just KNOW!

Here’s more of Will…

A convention’s sovereign duty is to choose a plausible nominee who has a reasonable chance to win, not to passively affirm the will of a mere plurality of voters recorded episodically in a protracted process.

God help me, I’m gonna defend Donald Trump here, because he has won more than a mere plurality of his party’s moron voters. In fact, he’s on the verge of breaking the all-time record for primary votes in that party. HMMPH! ‘TIS A MERE PIFFLE! As if having a protracted process somehow invalidates the whole thing. WHOA, HEY, THESE PEOPLE VOTED IN CAREFULLY SCHEDULED STAGES IN WHICH THEY HAD AMPLE TIME TO VET EACH CANDIDATE! We can’t have that! By God, some of these voters wear JEANS, Martha!

The minority of people who pay close attention to politics…

This fucking guy. You know who pays attention to politics in an election year? Nearly EVERYONE. My neighbor isn’t like, “Donald Trump? Nope. Never heard of him. I’m afraid I’ve been sticking to sports this whole time.” Will and his cocktail party ilk are under the remarkably mistaken impression that only THEY understand the ins and outs of this process, all because they went to a Bob Woodward key party. Think about how isolated you have to be to believe this. Think how tight that bowtie must be to cut off the circulation to your crème fraiche brain. Will continues:

…[this] includes those who define an ideal political outcome and pursue it, and those who focus on the worst possible outcome and strive to avoid it. The former experience the excitements of utopianism, the latter settle for prudence’s mild pleasure of avoiding disappointed dreams.

Mmm! Ohh! Oh, such pleasure from all this PRUDENCE! I just wanna beat it into a dish towel, so overwhelmed am I by the prudence.

If Trump is nominated, Republicans working to purge him and his manner from public life will reap the considerable satisfaction of preserving the identity of their 162-year-old party…

You have no identity. I hate to break it to you, but political parties are just hunks of voting beef that drift and adapt their platforms over the course of time in order to remain in power. If anything, your party’s identity today is that of a bunch of gun-toting racists who would block Congress just to keep them from building a goddamn road. That’s your brand, amigo. That’s why your boy Trump is winning. Don’t fan yourself and act surprised that this is your crooked party’s handiwork. You’re not above it. You’re the dime-store professor they trot out to make this all sound respectable, and you do a lousy job of it.

A train full of lye just derailed in this town. The Metro is gonna shut down for six months. And everyone in Flint is drinking lead sewage. And here’s George Wil demanding that history stop a little bit longer. I hope a Trump voter keys your BMW, you twit.

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 07, 2016 10:25 pm

What if all of my summer movie predictions are wrong? What if Captain America: Civil War utterly pantses everything in sight, including Finding Dory? What if the third time isn’t the charm for Star Trek Beyond or if audiences aren’t desperate to see another Jason Bourne? Looking over the release slate for the summer that starts tonight, I noticed something that, quite frankly, I should have noticed before: A bunch of the franchise biggies are opening somewhat close to each other and will be lacking certain positive variables the second or third (or fourth) time out. And that removes a key advantage which benefited many of their predecessors.

In 2003, Finding Nemo benefited from swiftly declining May blockbusters (X2 and The Matrix Reloaded) and a relatively unpopular and quick-kill friendly June slate (2 Fast 2 Furious, Hollywood Homicide, Hulk, Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle). As such, it swam all summer, or at least until Pirates of the Caribbean sailed to the rescue in mid-July. And comparisons to Toy Story 3 are fine, but Toy Story 3 landed in the middle of a summer so utterly terrible that Sony's The Karate Kid remake felt like honest-to-goodness Oscar material just by being pretty darn good.

In 1996, Independence Day was not only one of the biggest summer blockbusters audiences had ever seen. It also, save Joel Schumacher’s leggy R-rated adult drama A Time to Kill ($14.8 million debut/$108m domestic final), basically closed out the season in early July thanks to the 1996 Summer Olympics taking place in Atlanta that year. The Bourne Ultimatum basically closed out the tab on summer 2007 as well, opening in early August, as did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 2014 and (give-or-take The Wolverine) The Conjuring in 2013. Now both respective sequels open on top of each other in early June.

The first Star Trek benefited both from glowing reviews and white-hot buzz, but also from a pretty terrible summer kick-off movie (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), a mediocre and underperforming Memorial Day tentpole release (Terminator: Salvation), and a near-lack of June tentpole competition until Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Star Trek Into Darkness faced off against Fast & Furious 6 in weekend two and a still strong Iron Man 3 on its opening weekend. But had a solid four weeks before Man of Steel flew into town, by which time Star Trek Into Darkness had already earned 92% of its domestic total. Star Trek Beyond opens a week after Ghostbusters, a week before Jason Bourne, and two weeks before Suicide Squad.

So what we have here are a bunch of sequels that will be opening in very different circumstances from their predecessors. The Conjuring 2 opens in mid-June against Now You See Me 2 and Warcraft and a week before Finding Dory, while the buzzy Lights Out debuts on July 22nd against Star Trek Beyond. Will Independence Day: Resurgence fare as well when it’s merely another mega-tentpole in a summer filled with them, as opposed to the inadvertent summer closer and also the most eye-popping summer fantasy spectacular since Return of the Jedi? Jason Bourne gets a late July slot this year, but the real summer closer will be Suicide Squad a week later (that’s another post for another time).

Star Trek Beyond will also have to deal with just being another big blockbuster in a July filled with them, while Finding Dory may not be the great summer glimmer of hope as were Finding Nemo and Toy Story 3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows opens a week after X-Men: Apocalypse and Alice Through the Looking Glass. Ghostbusters sure as heck faces a different summer landscape than Ghostbusters II did in 1989. Oh, and Alice 2 isn’t the first post-Avatar 3D blockbuster, in early March no less, but now just another big fantasy film. This time out, it’s just that “other” Disney release between Civil War and Finding Dory.

What this all means, assuming I’m not just talking myself out of my potentially accurate initial predictions, is that many of these franchises will have to live and die on the strength of their brand and their would-be quality. They won’t have the benefit of being the biggest game in town, the last game in town, or the great summer blockbuster to rescue us from a sea of mediocrity. It’s going to be really interesting to watch, as this summer sets the template for every summer going forward, with a deluge of pre-dated franchise installments that will have to do battle with each other under new and arguably “when everyone’s special, no one is” circumstances. Game on…

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 08, 2016 9:43 am

Dweezil,
Strange to be writing this in public, but I don't know how else to respond.

After reading the article in The New York Times, I'm not sure how else to reach you. If we talk through our lawyers, it's not because I want that. It's because you've refused to talk any other way. I've been reaching out to you for months. I even tried to set up a family meeting so we could discuss all of our family issues, but you repeatedly said you couldn't fit it into your schedule, and that you weren't available to attend without your lawyers present.

Instead, you've given this incomplete, misleading story to the NYT and the media, and invited the whole world to take sides about our family business. Now, we're becoming "that family" – the spoiled brats arguing in public about who deserves what.

I understand you're hurting and angry. We all are. But the more we fight about this in the press, the worse it gets for all of us. We're not gaining anything by doing this in public.

If you're not willing to talk to me, though, I don't know what else to do. The New York Times has a story about a version of me that isn't based on facts or reality, and I don't know how else to set the record straight – or get you to talk to me – except to write this here, where people can form opinions by reading what I said for themselves.

If you want to share private facts and legal documents, we can do that too, because honestly, we both know what'll happen: it will give everyone a complete picture of what's happening. Not the distorted one that's out there now, which makes it look like this is about business crushing art, or me being a greedy assburger who wants to take away your rights.

I don't know how else to start, so I'll just respond to a few things I've read:
1. The article claims that you're no longer allowed to perform under the name Zappa Plays Zappa.
Not true, and we both know it. I have never asked you to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to use the ZPZ name. You've only been told that you can't keep using the name without agreeing to a fee of $1 per year, which you're fully aware of, but never mentioned in your interviews. I'll come back to that in a second. But just so everyone is clear:
Fact: You can absolutely keep touring under the name Zappa Plays Zappa.
You could do it tomorrow, and honestly, I hope you will. You’re a fucking guitar god and in my opinion one of the best guitar players in the world. You do an amazing job playing our father's music with total integrity. Your tours help keep Frank's name alive, just like the work Gail and I have done through the ZFT.

This isn't about your tours, or art, or even about you. This is about the way the Trust was set up ages ago: if any of us use the "Zappa Plays Zappa" name for commercial purposes, a share of the profit goes back to the ZFT, to cover the high costs involved in maintaining the business and releasing more of Frank's content for the fans. Period.

The point is: No one is stopping you from using the name, as long as you follow the exact same rules as the rest of us.

And before anyone starts thinking that we're trying to screw you, let's talk about fees again.
2. The article claims that if you perform without paying the ZFT an "exorbitant fee," you'll be charged up to $150,000 for each song you play.
Again, not even close to true.

Honestly, this was the part that really hurt, because now a lot of Frank's fans think I'm some greedy dude who's just in this for the money. Can't blame them. It sounds like blackmail. Like I don't want you to be able to play Frank's music. If I read that article without knowing the rest of the facts, I'd think I was a greedy assburger too.

It's just not true.

Personally, I don't think the fee Gail asked for was exorbitant. If you want, we can share the exact terms with the public, instead of just asking them to take our word for it. But even if the price was too high, it doesn't matter anymore, because I didn't want it to be an issue for you. That's why I suggested a workaround.

So, if you're going to share family business with the whole world, I wish you'd tell them the whole story:
Fact: The "exorbitant fee" you're now being asked to pay the ZFT, to keep using Frank's name and performing his songs, is $1 per year.
That's not because the ZFT needs that money. I think we can live without an extra buck every year. It's because that token payment handles the legal requirement. Even though I thought the original fee was reasonable, I wanted to find a way to get us past this.

And again, it's not just you: it's all four of us. If I want to perform Frank's music, I'll pay $1. So will Diva and Moon. That's just the deal, and I think it's a pretty reasonable solution.

One dollar, man. It doesn't seem like The New York Times knew that part.

And that's what hurts. If I was the greedy, deceitful assburger I'm reading about, I wouldn't be working this hard to find a way to make everyone happy.
3. The article suggests that this is all happening suddenly, that I'm changing the terms of your deal with the ZFT, and that you're being singled out.
Again, none of this is true.

First, this isn't sudden or new. That was always the deal Gail put in place – not just for you, but all of us. Gail's decision was always that any of us who want to use the name – you, me, Moon, Diva – can perform under that name.

But be honest: Frank Zappa's legacy isn't something we built, and "Zappa Plays Zappa" isn't a name that any one of us "owns" or has special claim to. We all got the same name at birth, and as the four beneficiaries of the ZFT, we all have an equal right to benefit from that name.

That's why Gail decided that any Zappa using the name "Zappa Plays Zappa" would pay a percentage of profits to the ZFT, where it could keep the family business going.

That rule doesn't just apply to you. It's for all four of us.

A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but when you pay that fee – not even up front, but with a share of the profits you made performing our dad's music, and selling merchandise with his picture and name – it's not like it goes into my pocket. Most of it goes to the ZFT, so we can afford to keep remastering and releasing more of Frank's music to the fans, and building the business.

I know the business side of Frank's legacy is less romantic than going out and touring with the music, but it's pretty damn important to me, and to the fans. It's also pretty damn expensive – and takes a ton of work. That's why Gail told us we have to sell the house: because she knew how much it would cost to maintain the catalog, work out deals with distributors, and get more content out to fans. Gail spent most of what we had just fighting to make sure we'd keep the rights to Frank's catalog.

And when the ZFT does have profits, we split them between the four of us. I'm getting enough heat on social media that I'm betting a lot of people don't realize that you also receive funds from the ZFT. Even when you do pay fees to use the Zappa name, and sell Zappa merchandise, you receive a portion of the profits from it.

I could say more, but it still feels weird to be saying all of this in public, especially when it feels like everyone is hoping for more drama. But, if I keep seeing inaccurate and misleading articles about what's happening, I don't know what you want me to do. Pretend it's true? Can't do that.

Again, if you won't talk to me about this, and want to work things out in public, we can. Privacy has always been important in our family, but that doesn't mean I have anything to hide. I just don't see how it helps anything to get the media and the public to take sides, especially when they don't have all the facts.

If you're willing to talk – and not just through a lawyer – I hope you'll call me.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 11, 2016 3:56 pm

While surfing Tumblr (under my fan name, not my pro-pseudonym), I saw the posts about calling Leia Huttslayer instead of ‘slave Leia.’ This was exactly when I was outlining the section where this part of Leia's history winds up intersecting with the plot of Bloodline, so when I saw the post saying, ‘From now on, she should be called Huttslayer!’ I reblogged it and wrote something like, ‘NOW IT IS LAW.’ Nobody knew that it was me, though. Besides the feminist arguments behind ‘Huttslayer,’ which I agree with, I think the term makes so much sense in-universe. Killing a Hutt with your bare hands? Not easy. Any human who managed to do that would be remembered for it, particularly when the Hutt in question was as powerful and as hated as Jabba.

I literally cannot remember a time when I was not asking myself what events in Star Wars were like for Princess Leia. The good side of all this is that what looked like ‘goofing off’ or ‘daydreaming’ these many years has all turned out to be valuable career preparation. Haha, study hall monitor. Take THAT.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Wiki quotes Alexander Hamilton as saying the following:

"All communities divide themselves into the few and the many. The first are the rich and well-born, the other the mass of the people... The people are turbulent and changing; they seldom judge or determine right. Give therefore to the first class a distinct and permanent share in the government."

Some would say that this view has been vindicated--this year if not before.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top