Things someone else just wanted to say......

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Things someone else just wanted to say......

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:19 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/opinion/obeidallah-snl-isis-skit/

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:21 pm

[url=Native Americans reveal how they REALLY feel about Thanksgiving http://dailym.ai/1XiQVlU]food [/url]

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:51 pm

not discussing what they say, what's the problem with the word discover? You can't discover something that doesn't exist already, and things are discovered by/FOR some people. In this case for the europeans of the time.

I see thing is they thought they were THE people of the time

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:54 pm

d e wrote:not discussing what they say, what's the problem with the word discover? You can't discover something that doesn't exist already, and things are discovered by/FOR some people. In this case for the europeans of the time.

I see thing is they thought they were THE people of the time
I've heard school children say (because their teachers told them to say it) "Columbus didn't discover America because it was already inhabited." Which is to say that somebody else already knew about it, so Columbus was not first.

And yet, people will say "I discovered this charming little restaurant in the French quarter ..." even though thousands of people had discovered it previously. geek

This is another example of (as Richard Betts would say) "So, this is just politics then."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:56 am

Mmmmm, truth.click

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 am

there's a new school of thought that asks "what would Jaden Smith say?" WWJSS

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:58 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:16 pm

woo wrote:Mmmmm, truth.click

I forgot to indicate that the truth I was mmmmming was pinz' and d.e. otro's...I just threw in the meme for shits and giggles click

That vid has me in stitches

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:02 pm

New York Daily News
December 8, 1979
Kathy Carroll

“Star Trek,” that futuristic TV series that captivated millions of earthlings in the ’60’s, has, thanks to popular demand, been converted into a monster of a movie. On second thought, this long-awaited science-fiction adventure saga is not so much a movie as it is a sort of giant display case, designed exclusively to show off the latest space gimmickry and photographic tricks invented by Hollywood’s most creative special effects artists, Douglas Trumball and John Dykstra.

Under the listless direction of Robert Wise, “Star Trek - A Motion Picture” continuously grinds to a complete halt as the camera lovingly scans some expensive piece of equipment - like the massive-looking replica of the Starship U.S.S. Enterprise, and the sound level of composer Jimmy Goldsmith’s ponderous music rises accordingly.

“Star Trek” fans (who are known as Trekkies although it is said that some prefer the more formal Trekkers) will be pleased to note the return of their favorite stars, all of whom look a little older, if not wiser.

William Shatner (who remains teary-eyed throughout the movie apparently to show that he is quite overcome by this reunion with his spacecraft), as Admiral James Kirk, has used his forceful personality to regain command of his old ship, the Enterprise. He is reluctantly joined by the ship’s one-time resident physician and self-appointed psychiatrist, the gruff Dr. McCoy (De Forest Kelley, who looks much the worst for the wear and tear of the last ten years, but who also supplies some welcome humor.).

As the re-designed Enterprise heads out into space on the now standard mission of having to intercept a mysterious planetary intruder that is presently on a collision course with the planet, Earth, another familiar face materializes. With his slanted eyebrows and pointed ears, he could only be the all-knowing Vulcan, Mr. Spock, and he could only be played by the impeccably straight-faced Leonard Nimoy.

There are newcomers aboard the Enterprise, among them a bald-headed, but still striking-looking navigator (Persis Khambatta) who quickly reassures her fellow passengers that “my oath of celibacy is on record,” and the newly replaced captain of the Enterprise (Stephen Collins) who exchanges meaningful looks with the Deltan navigator throughout the voyage.

Spock, after he first makes contact with the intruder (which is later discovered to be a “living machine” in search of its “Creator”) reports that it is “cold” and it lacks “mystery.” The same could be said for “Star Trek.” It is a purely mechanical movie that is no more dazzling to the eye than a nighttime landing at Kennedy airport.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:27 pm

It’s difficult to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture and not see the influence of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. The film moves at a slow pace. It is filled with long shots of spaceships that are meant to inspire awe and reverence. Its plot lacks a real villain and instead focuses on a mission of discovery. This last bit has more in common with the original Star Trek series than 2001, but both focus on exploring big, cosmic ideas rather than setting up direct and traditional antagonism. The film is decidedly clean, clinical, and cold.

Once upon a time, this was the only Star Trek movie people had. It came out in 1979, a decade after the original series ended. Imagine what it must have been like to see the Enterprise in all that puffed-up cinematic glory after only knowing the ’60s small screen version. The presentation may seem a little overdone and showy now, but you can see the logic behind such an aesthetic.

The Motion Picture was a larger hit than you might expect. But it also cost a lot more than you would think. (Stop it with all that assuming, people!) Profits weren’t as great as Paramount wanted, and as a result, they decided to go a different direction with the next Star Trek movie, booting Gene Roddenberry from creative control and giving the reins to producer Harve Bennett and director Nicholas Meyer.

Their answer? “Hey, let’s Star Wars this shit up a little!” (Not a direct quote.) Wrath of Khan couldn’t be any more different than The Motion Picture. Gone are the long, languid shots of spaceships. The bland, almost pajama-like outfits have now been replaced with regal military duds. Instead of exploring a completely mysterious object, we get an all out battle between two cunning adversaries. You have a big-ass spaceship! Why isn’t it shooting anything? C’mon!

You can feel Star Wars at the edge of these decisions, which is interesting since the first Star Wars was released before The Motion Picture and had no bearing on that film whatsoever. When Wrath of Khan came out, Empire Strikes Back was already two years old. It isn’t like Star Wars made its mark on Star Trek right away.

Pulpy and full of great antagonism, Wrath of Khan should be a Star Trek disaster but succeeds because it somehow retains a strong Star Trek identity in the face of this influence rather than bend to its will. There is a space battle, but it’s far more a game of chess than cops & robbers, retaining the original series' strong naval hook. Kirk succeeds by being smart and resourceful far more than by shows of strength. The film’s central struggle supplies both immediate entertainment and thematic commentary on the characters involved.

The newer Star Trek movies, on the other hand, chase Star Wars with far more zeal than Wrath of Khan and have lost a lot of what makes us love Star Trek in the process. Wrath of Khan got it right. These movies could be fun and smart at the same time. While hardcore fans of the original series can find a lot to love about The Motion Picture (I love it), it’s hard to deny Khan’s place as the best Star Trek movie. Sometime’s it’s okay to give in to what all the cool kids are doing. Just a little. Seriously, not too much.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:01 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Is my Mom going to endorse Donald Trump for President of the United States?

That’s the rumor, and I’ve been too busy with diapers to delve too much into politics these days. But the rumors were enough to cause staffers from Ted Cruz’s office to slam my mom.

“I think it [would] be a blow to Sarah Palin, because Sarah Palin has been a champion for the conservative cause, and if she was going to endorse Donald Trump, sadly, she would be endorsing someone who’s held progressive views all their life on the sanctity of life, on marriage, on partial-birth abortion,” Cruz campaign spokesman Rick Tyler said on CNN’s “New Day.”

I like Cruz. In fact, I met him last year, and I believe anyone’s better than Hilary Clinton. But here’s the thing, Sen. Cruz.  My mom has consistently supported you and encouraged you.  You’ve been a great advocate for conservative causes, and she’s stood by you when others haven’t.

“I would not be in the U.S. Senate today if it were not for Governor Palin,” you’ve said before.  

After hearing what Cruz is now saying about my mom, in a negative knee-jerk reaction, makes me hope my mom does endorse Trump. Cruz’s flip-flop, turning against my mom who’s done nothing but support and help him when others sure didn’t, shows he’s a typical politician.  How rude to that he’s setting up a false narrative about her!

America doesn’t need that.  We need someone who has a vision for economic prosperity, who won’t let us get kicked around in the world, and who will fight for our future.

I didn’t go to Harvard Law School, but I know this:  You can like two people in a race, but there will only one president.

The audacity to suggest that because she chooses one over the other will somehow “damage” her just shows arrogance.

You’ve also said, “She can pick winners!”  I hope you’re right, and that she endorses Donald Trump today for President.

Buy my Mom’s new devotional, Sweet Freedom, in bookstores everywhere!

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Freedom-Devotional-Sarah-Palin/dp/1621574636/

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm

"Bernie Sanders went to the Soviet Union on his honeymoon and I don't think he ever came back."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:45 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-mozzarella-sticks-missing-cheese-2016-1

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:08 pm

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/31/the-bernie-bros-narrative-a-cheap-false-campaign-tactic-masquerading-as-journalism-and-social-activism/

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm

In the case of Trump, though, the GOP shares the blame, and not just because his fellow Republicans misdirected their ad buys or waited so long to criticize him. Trump is in part a reaction to the intellectual corruption of the Republican Party. That ought to be obvious to his critics, yet somehow it isn’t.

Consider the conservative nonprofit establishment, which seems to employ most right-of-center adults in Washington. Over the past 40 years, how much donated money have all those think tanks and foundations consumed? Billions, certainly. (Someone better at math and less prone to melancholy should probably figure out the precise number.) Has America become more conservative over that same period? Come on. Most of that cash went to self-perpetuation: Salaries, bonuses, retirement funds, medical, dental, lunches, car services, leases on high-end office space, retreats in Mexico, more fundraising. Unless you were the direct beneficiary of any of that, you’d have to consider it wasted.

Pretty embarrassing. And yet they’re not embarrassed. Many of those same overpaid, underperforming tax-exempt sinecure-holders are now demanding that Trump be stopped. Why? Because, as his critics have noted in a rising chorus of hysteria, Trump represents “an existential threat to conservatism.”

Let that sink in. Conservative voters are being scolded for supporting a candidate they consider conservative because it would be bad for conservatism? And by the way, the people doing the scolding? They’re the ones who’ve been advocating for open borders, and nation-building in countries whose populations hate us, and trade deals that eliminated jobs while enriching their donors, all while implicitly mocking the base for its worries about abortion and gay marriage and the pace of demographic change. Now they’re telling their voters to shut up and obey, and if they don’t, they’re liberal.

It turns out the GOP wasn’t simply out of touch with its voters; the party had no idea who its voters were or what they believed. For decades, party leaders and intellectuals imagined that most Republicans were broadly libertarian on economics and basically neoconservative on foreign policy. That may sound absurd now, after Trump has attacked nearly the entire Republican catechism (he savaged the Iraq War and hedge fund managers in the same debate) and been greatly rewarded for it, but that was the assumption the GOP brain trust operated under. They had no way of knowing otherwise. The only Republicans they talked to read the Wall Street Journal too.

On immigration policy, party elders were caught completely by surprise. Even canny operators like Ted Cruz didn’t appreciate the depth of voter anger on the subject. And why would they? If you live in an affluent ZIP code, it’s hard to see a downside to mass low-wage immigration. Your kids don’t go to public school. You don’t take the bus or use the emergency room for health care. No immigrant is competing for your job. (The day Hondurans start getting hired as green energy lobbyists is the day my neighbors become nativists.) Plus, you get cheap servants, and get to feel welcoming and virtuous while paying them less per hour than your kids make at a summer job on Nantucket. It’s all good.

Apart from his line about Mexican rapists early in the campaign, Trump hasn’t said anything especially shocking about immigration. Control the border, deport lawbreakers, try not to admit violent criminals — these are the ravings of a Nazi? This is the “ghost of George Wallace” that a Politico piece described last August? A lot of Republican leaders think so. No wonder their voters are rebelling.

When was the last time you stopped yourself from saying something you believed to be true for fear of being punished or criticized for saying it? If you live in America, it probably hasn’t been long. That’s not just a talking point about political correctness. It’s the central problem with our national conversation, the main reason our debates are so stilted and useless. You can’t fix a problem if you don’t have the words to describe it. You can’t even think about it clearly.

This depressing fact made Trump’s political career.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:26 am

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/free,_white,_and_twenty-one

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:23 am

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698699904303132672

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:21 pm

“I think what Justice Scalia wants to know is what James Madison thought about video games. Did he enjoy them?”

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:19 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:“I think what Justice Scalia wants to know is what James Madison thought about video games. Did he enjoy them?”

Of course he did; little Jemmy was only 4'11", so he couldn't get a date. Videos games was all he had. Neutral

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top