Next film I might see

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Next film I might see

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Rolling Eyes

It’s a story to savor in the mere telling, a melodramatic construction that virtually sings with the breadth of experience and history that it brings to bear on Eilis’s voyages and Eilis’s dilemma. That’s why the sense of cinematic emptiness and narrative reduction that “Brooklyn” conveys, the nearly ridiculously blanked-out botch of a movie that results, is all the more disappointing. Despite the formidable artistry exerted by its actors on its realization, “Brooklyn” isn’t so much a bad movie as it is a virtual self-parody of a genre—that of the minor, dignified, clean-hands art-house preciosity.

Eilis’s innocence couldn’t be purer or blanker if she had been imported straight from “Little Red Riding Hood,” and the simplicity of the good—and the bad—folk back home in Enniscorthy couldn’t be more apparent. It’s a halcyon vision of the Old Country, tarnished by one blight—Eilis’s boss in the store—who might as well come on-screen wearing devil’s horns and a pointed tail.

The events seen in “Brooklyn” happen to coincide with the filming and the release of John Ford’s “The Quiet Man,” another story of immigration (albeit in the other direction). There, the richness, the rowdiness, the ruggedness—and the complexity, the intricate rituals, the festering conflicts, the barely healed historical wounds—of life in an Irish country town emerge with a grandly troubling allure. Whatever the townsfolk are in Ford’s film—comical, bumbling, braggadocious, headstrong—they’re also deeply, even tragically, in the know. They’re anything but innocent.

But if “Brooklyn” greenwashes Ireland, it utterly sanitizes Brooklyn. The Brooklyn in which Eilis lives and works is the Town Without Garlic, an odorless and textureless approximation in which the comically chewy stage accent that Cohen lends Tony and a few spoken references to the Brooklyn Dodgers sprinkle a bit of grit on the action. Eilis lives in Brooklyn, works in Brooklyn, goes out in Brooklyn, and makes a point of how she doesn’t know the big city. She doesn’t go to Times Square, to the Empire State Building, to Rockefeller Center. She has no sense of New York mythology, no anticipation, no curiosity. She apparently never glanced at a guidebook or an Encyclopaedia Britannica entry but goes to New York as a blank slate with a blank mind.

Yet here’s Tóibín, writing in the Guardian, about the background to the story and the film:

---Almost every family in every generation in Enniscorthy had members in England and the US. In the summers, many of them would return for a brief holiday, the American emigrants much less than the English ones because of the distance and the expense.… In America, they made clear, you could become a millionaire. Even the ones who had not become rich themselves sounded, or looked, as if some day they might be worth a fortune. It would just take a bit of luck.---

The smart and capable and curious young Eilis arrives in New York with a head full of stories and myths and dreams, arrives in a city that she’s been hearing about throughout her life, is surrounded by the real places that have been the stuff of her local lore—and, in the movie, Eilis expects nothing, imagines nothing, knows nothing, sees nothing, does nothing. Ronan is compelled to portray her as an absolute tabula rasa and to fill that blankness with a pure, almost angelic light of innate, naïve virtue that is the subject of no spiritual conflict, no self-aware vision, no conflict with worldly aspirations or the ordinary course of banal and profane existence.

By odd coincidence, “Brooklyn” is coming out two weeks before another movie about a department-store clerk in New York in the early nineteen-fifties, Todd Haynes’s “Carol,” which is also the adaptation of a novel—in this case, by Patricia Highsmith. There’s a suggestion of Eilis’s world in “Carol”—working people striving to get through the day and to find fun at night, which they do with an uninhibited vigor. There’s no suggestion of the world of “Carol”—of artistic aspirations and unruly desires—in “Brooklyn.”

The simplifications and sanitizations of “Brooklyn” would be only dreary if they merely served the purpose of a streamlined and simplified story-telling mechanism. What renders them odious is the ethos that they embody, the worldview that they package. The emptied-out view of the early fifties, of an Irish village and of New York City alike, is a crucial aspect of the movie’s positioning for its art-house audience. The movie targets viewers who want to be kidded into believing in their own sophistication by the sheer privilege of having been born later, flattered into belief in their own progressiveness because of their greater fund of knowledge, because of their awareness—or, rather, belief, as reinforced in a movie such as “Brooklyn”—in the mentally impoverished naïveté of the modern past.

Hollywood melodramas made in the early fifties about life in New York, even those made on a studio back lot and despite the self-censoring strictures of studio production, offer more flavor and detail, more rough-and-tumble and more tangled social fabric, than does “Brooklyn.” The taut aesthetic of classic Hollywood dramas, facing production codes as well as actual censorship, runs on the fuel of all that was known but couldn’t be said, of all that was seen in life but couldn’t be shown on-screen. “Brooklyn” looks narrowly at the most narrow public images of the era and takes it literally, looking backward condescendingly and conveying the idea that people back then really knew nothing, really saw nothing. That’s the falsehood on which the movie’s fiction depends.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Pretty harsh.

But do you want to know what the pinhed finds odious? I'll tell you anyway. It's reviewers who tell anybody that liked the movie that this is them:

" ... viewers who want to be kidded into believing in their own sophistication by the sheer privilege of having been born later, flattered into belief in their own progressiveness because of their greater fund of knowledge, because of their awareness—or, rather, belief, as reinforced in a movie such as “Brooklyn”—in the mentally impoverished naïveté of the modern past."

So, the reviewer targets viewers who can be kidded into thinking that they have to dislike the movie so that the reviewer won't whither them with his distain. Rolling Eyes

Just for that, the pinhed thinks it's the greatest movie since "Heavens Gate."bounce

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 pm

that's the latest asshole from the New Yorker mag- the only major critic i saw who didn't like the sappy movie. the dude from the San Fran Chron looved the thing, but then, he also went gaga for SPECTRES

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:52 am

It was pretty bland, but it did not "kid me into believing in my own sophistication by the sheer privilege of having been born later, flattered into belief in my own progressiveness because of my greater fund of knowledge, because of my awareness, or belief ... in the mentally impoverished naïveté of the modern past."

Is this new guy a student intern or something? He reminds me of the old University of Minnesota student paper.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:16 am

Anyways, I reckon Trumbo is next.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 am

pinhedz wrote:Is this new guy a student intern or something? He reminds me of the old University of Minnesota student paper.

maybe a grad student who lost his beard comb

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:43 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:but then, he also went gaga for SPECTRES

But Pierce Bronsan had a different take on SPECTRES

"It's is neither fish nor fowl. It’s neither Bond nor Bourne. Am I in a Bond movie? Not in a Bond movie? ... I thought it was too long. The story was kind of weak -- it could have been condensed. It kind of went on too long. It really did."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:35 am

Star Wars ain't got nothing on Zoolander 2...Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:48 am

I'll take this over Starry Battles any day!...Jajajajajajajajajajajajajaja!

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 am

except Zoolander One only had about three and a half chuckles in it, o wel

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Joe dirt 2 and possibly a Super Trooper 2...meaty bones.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Strange to read about Stallone this way...maybe it is true.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:12 pm

that film porbably better than it looks, director a young man from Oakland hood who did the Fruitvale Station film, which was more watchable than most Spik Lee joints- director Coogler grew up watching Rocky films becus his dad was fan, but Coogler preferred Apollo Creed charcter becus was black - anyhow, new film was not made as sequel-itis cash-in, as  i understandd

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:16 pm

i gess it has alrady been established that Mugatu of Zoolander was named after the dreaded MUGATO of Neural  

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Let’s start with the bear attack, because it’s one of the most amazing spectacles of the movie year 2015. On its own, it’s reason enough to see “The Revenant,” and there are plenty of other reasons. For weeks, there have been rumors that the scene shows Leonardo DiCaprio getting sexually assaulted by a bear. That does not happen. What happens is even worse.

DiCaprio plays a fur trapper, in 1820, out in the Northwest wilderness, who thinks it might be a good idea to shoot a couple of bear cubs. He doesn’t notice the enormous mama bear running up behind him until he turns around just as he’s getting pounced on. What follows is a scene that delivers in a number of extreme and wonderfully conflicting ways.

It is harrowing. It is technically remarkable, because there is no doubt in any viewer’s mind that DiCaprio really does have a bear throwing him around and stepping on his head. It is a beautiful piece of bear-fight choreography — it’s clear that serious thought went into how this fight would progress for maximum impact.

There’s also just enough emotional distance for us to enjoy what’s happening. The bear, after all, does have a point. And this distance allows us to notice and experience the scene’s other great pleasure: It’s funny. Bears are so cute and cuddly that to see one go berserk on a guy, particularly one who has it coming, has a certain absurd satisfaction.

“The Revenant” is loosely based on the real story of Hugh Glass, an American fur trapper who was abandoned by his companions after the unfortunate bear incident and left to die. Despite infections and festering flesh, he somehow survived and navigated his way across 200 miles of hostile wilderness.

It’s an amazing survival tale, and the movie itself looks like a survival chronicle. That really is DiCaprio with ice stuck in his beard. That really is DiCaprio wading through and immersing himself in freezing water, over and over. Part of the pleasure of “The Revenant” is in watching freezing people from a warm, cushy seat in a theater.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:57 am

update: in Hail! Caesar! Tilda Swinton plays 2 characters that come from the premise, what if Hedda Hopper had a more evil twin? So Tilda Swinton is appearing as Thora Thacker and Thessaly Thacker.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:

update: in Hail! Caesar! Tilda Swinton plays 2 characters that come from the premise, what if Hedda Hopper had a more evil twin? So Tilda Swinton is appearing as Thora Thacker and Thessaly Thacker.

I reckon I'll go see that one then (maybe next, maybe not).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:42 pm

or prehaps the premise was "imagine if Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons were twin sisters ..." Shocked

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:21 am

In response to interview questions about the lack of racial diversity in the movies, the brothers said they have a tendency to make movies about jews and Minnesotans, because, ... just because.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:50 pm

pinhedz wrote:In response to interview questions about the lack of racial diversity in the movies, the brothers said they have a tendency to make movies about jews and Minnesotans, because, ... just because.

http://news.yahoo.com/coen-brothers-dont-understand-questions-174600871.html  

A quote from that article:

"Being famous in 2016 requires an awareness beyond yourself and a sense of social justice — that's indisputable." 

Pove it!

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:07 pm

There's also this article (which I have on actual paper newspaper):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/qanda-coen-brothers-respond-to-criticism-over-diversity-talk-about-hail-caesar/2016/02/03/f55cb2c8-c9f4-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html

In which they say this:

Joel: "Take any particular actor or writer or filmmaker, and you go, “Your movies should be more this or more that or more the other thing.” The only sane response is that you can only write what you can write. You can’t sit down and say, “I’m going to write something that follows the dictates of what the culture thinks should be happening, in terms of cultural diversity in storytelling.” To be honest with you, that’s completely lunatic."

Ethan: "We actually write movies in which the characters are Jews or Minnesotans."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Clooney’s comments led to a backlash from some quarters. It was noted that his films — and yours, for that matter — aren’t particularly diverse.

as far as i know, there have been no noteworthy "quarters" delivering sustained "backlashes" against the Coen Bros for their period depictions of numskull whites and scheming jews. this strikes me as journo interviewer skullduggery more than anything else

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:31 am

I think Etahn said "Go ahead and make stuff up, we don't care,"

and Joel said: "Say that you said it."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

Is it true that there is bad buzz about the next Allegiant movie?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:25 am

I am taking a break from dystopian teen insurgent gladiator movies until 2020 and The Rising of The Gloaming Ones

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top