Next film I might see

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Next film I might see

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:24 am

Yoshida Emily was talking about how, for all the liberties the new Ghost in the Shell takes with its source material, it’s more invested in that title, specifically the “ghost” soul of its cyborg protagonist, than any of its predecessors in the long-running Jafranchise. That’s not to say that it does anything dramatically interesting about that soul, or asks many challenging questions about what it’s like for a person to persist, divorced from their original body. But it is obsessed with idea that Major “Mira” (ScarJo) must unlock her true individuality to defeat the system, an extraordinarily American narrative shoddily grafted onto the original story like a black-market crab-claw arm. The body rejects it almost immediately.

If Paramount just wanted to do a female-led cyberpunk Bourne Identity, probably nobody would have minded. But to associate a straightforward “Who am I?” action film with a franchise as philosophically noodly as Ghost in the Shell is disingenuous and pointless — you deny existing fans the actual post-self substance of the thing they like, and you alienate newcomers with a weird title and the obligatory skeleton of an existing franchise, which, when it’s not being explored, comes off as needlessly complicated. Why does a newcomer to Ghost in the Shell care about Section 9, or the idea of cyberbrains, if it’s not integral to the questions the film is asking? Why is this a story about robotics? Why is this Ghost in the Shell?

The answer to the last question is unfortunately obvious: It’s a means of lifting set pieces and conceptual designs without getting accused of copyright infringement. Whereas American comic-book adaptations pepper their films with nods to obscure characters and comic-only plotlines to stoke the emotional memory of their core fan base, Ghost in the Shell winks at things and moments — enhanced keyboard fingers, invisible fight scenes, detachable eyes, an adorable Basset hound — all ripped from their original context and compiled in what amounts to a look book. This is telling: The filmmakers think little of the emotional and intellectual connection fans already have with this property, and have put all their chips on the aesthetic. It’s exhausting to watch them curate what parts of the story’s Japanese origin are worth keeping and which can be discarded.
Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:25 am

Chuck Selfridge wrote:
Major “Mira” must unlock her true individuality to defeat the system

Sleep Sleep Sleep
Sleep Sleep Sleep
Sleep Sleep Sleep
Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Chuck Selfridge wrote:Major “Mira” must unlock her true individuality to defeat the system
Spoiler--I saw it and Chuck is incorrect. bounce
pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:03 pm

bounce
Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:38 pm

pinhedz wrote:
Chuck Selfridge wrote:Major “Mira” must unlock her true individuality to defeat the system
Spoiler--I saw it and Chuck is incorrect. bounce
The robocop redo is better because the cyborg has a nicer figure and doesn't move so klunky.

In some other respects the original was better, such as better emoting by Weller and humor by Verhoeven.

Some say the cartoon had deeper oriental existential philosophizing and political commentary, but the pinhed wouldn't know about that.
pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:51 am

erm, I think we might have to go back a bit further to William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, and Philip K. Dick.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top