Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Next film I might see

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:00 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:10 pm

I understand that there is a whole movie out about the Patels--called "Meet The Patels," or something like that.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:22 am

from the minds of Ravi & Geeta Patel

official tagline :

"A laugh-out-loud, real-life romantic comedy!"

Neutral

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:50 am

The story goes that Patels think it best to marry other Patels, of which there are many in the US, and one can collect resumes and go around to meet-ups all over the country. It's sort of like going to job fairs.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:55 am

I also understand that Johnny Depp might be back.

Although some critics seem to think he portrayed "The Banality of Evil" possibly too effectively, resulting in a movie that might be considered banal.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Paul Schrader said it's a decade or so past the sell-by date, but he is a bit of a cynical Simon

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:01 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:from the minds of Ravi & Geeta Patel

official tagline :

"A laugh-out-loud, real-life romantic comedy!"

Neutral
The pinhed recognizes the concern that the redoubtable Gujarat Patels might be trivialized by being portrayed as cute and funny, like leprechauns.

But my big question is--did Ravi get married? If not, how can this movie be called "romantic?" Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:25 am

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/freida-pinto-opens-up-about-her-split-from-dev-patel-2015104

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:59 pm

It’s quite possible that Steve Jobs was a jerk, but it’s hard to imagine he was precisely the kind of jerk that we find in “Steve Jobs.” In this imaginative riff, directed by Danny Boyle and written by Aaron Sorkin as a kind of three-act play, Jobs is relentlessly unpleasant, unreachable and uninspiring, not a visionary so much as a sleek, nasty businessman — but he’s entertaining. He is always entertaining.

In “Steve Jobs,” the screenwriter’s signature is as obvious as in a Preston Sturges or Woody Allen film. The characters all sound exactly like they’re in an Aaron Sorkin movie, ping-ponging wisecracks, pithy observations and casual but devastatingly accurate putdowns, and to say that this is anything less than delightful would be churlish. In its 122 minutes, “Steve Jobs” is never a great film, but it never becomes tiresome. When the soundtrack pumps up to tell us that it’s about to end, it leaves the audience wanting more.

The film takes place on three different days, Jobs’ product launches in 1984, 1988 and 1998; and aside from very brief flashbacks — literally, just a flash here and there — the film stays contained, playing out in real time within each act. Jobs (Michael Fassbender) moves restlessly from room to room, steamrolling and threatening people (never charming them), as the important figures from his life turn up, either to get abused, ask favors or tell him off.

Actually, sooner or later everyone gets to do all three. There’s Apple CEO John Sculley (Jeff Daniels), trying to put lightning in a bottle as Jobs’ boss; Steve Wozniak (Seth Rogen), the technical brain behind the home computer, who tells Jobs that he is tired of being thought of as Ringo when he was really John; and Joanna Hoffman (Kate Winslet), his marketing director and the closest thing he has to a friend.

The movie tries to locate its heart in Jobs’ relationship with his out-of-wedlock daughter, Lisa (played at different ages by different actresses). He starts off rejecting her and denying his paternity in a callous way, but gradually thaws, at least somewhat. Actually, the movie does find its way to some emotion through this strain, but Sorkin and Boyle overplay it, by trying to make it the movie’s overarching story, the emblem of its hero’s personal progress over 14 years. They can’t succeed, because there’s neither enough drama nor transformation in the relationship, but also because the audience’s interest is limited. We’d rather know abut the guy who invented the iPod.

As Jobs, Fassbender is fine on his terms, as the embodiment of Sorkin’s vision. He’s quick, brilliant and impervious, and the matinee idol looks don’t hurt. Just breezing through the room, his Jobs is an impressive man. What he lacks is the thing that the film probably didn’t need, but that the real Steve Jobs did need and had. Fassbender isn’t endearing. He’s not someone you love in spite of yourself. He’s not boyish and charming. Ashton Kutcher, playing the same role in a lesser movie (“Jobs” from 2013), had these qualities. He made you understand why people bothered to put up with him. By contrast, people are up with Fassbender’s Jobs because he’s boss, or because, like Hoffman, they like him for inexplicable reasons.

Some of the best scenes take place between Jobs and Wozniak, who are more like McCartney and Lennon than they realize, with each possessing necessary qualities that the other lacks, and each both resenting and loving the other guy for it. Seth Rogen conveys a sweetness of nature and a forgiving awareness of Jobs’ strengths and weaknesses, while Fassbender looks at him as though he were some piece of ungainly but essential equipment best kept under a drape. At one point, in passing, he refers to him as Rain Man.

Boyle films the proceedings on a slightly grainy stock that gives the movie just the hint of a documentary. There’s propulsion and energy. He takes Sorkin’s script and pumps it with amphetamines.

The movie’s biggest weakness is that it ends too soon. “Steve Jobs” is the second Jobs film to not include its inventor’s great 21st century innovations, the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad. To be sure, “Steve Jobs” has its own integrity as the story of the young innovator, but it’s a little like making a movie about Thomas Edison and stopping somewhere between the phonograph and the lightbulb.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Is that the one where them New Yorkers ride on down to Kansas City to find a win, but all they end up with is some really great bbq'd vaca? Woohoo Royals! 2 Games down. Sweep dem damn yanks right into the East River..they can swim with the da fishes while masking their tears.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:29 am

^^Perfect response...

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Last edited by d e on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 am

^
I HATE that buzzing. Mad Mad Mad Mad

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Last edited by woo on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 pm

They say there is a new movie about Dalton Trumbo starring Mr. Breaking Bad.

There will be a limited engagement, which will include the neighborhood artsy place.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:40 pm

i thought that was a play ... no i gess the Cran play was about LBJ ... when is the Cumberbunch Donald Trumpo biopic coming uot

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:42 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:30 am

How about this one? They say it might be poignant and old-fashioned and stuff (even though it stars a girl that had a birthmark the size of Mexico in her last movie).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:37 am

^
Speaking of Irish Catholics and Italians, did I ever tell you the funny story about how I lived in New York for a while when Aunt Mae was still alive?

She thought she was responsible for me, so she called up every day. Shocked

-- Alright, kid, where were you last night? Suspect

-- If you must know, i had a HOT DATE. What a Face

-- With WHO? Suspect

-- You don't know her.

-- What's her name? Suspect

-- Carla Palazzola Dipascuali.

-- NO!  affraid

-- She's Catholic.    

-- Yeabut, ...

Needless to say, the pinned had actually just been at the store restocking the rice and beans.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top