Coincidence

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coincidence

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 am

The post makes the keen observation that "improbable things happen all the time because many, many things happen all the time."

For example, the probability of winning the Powerball lottery is less than 1 out of 175,000,000. So you have no chance of winning it--nobody does. bounce

But someone wins it every year, and the person that wins it had no chance of winning it--the same as everybody else. geek

Sen. Barbara Mikulsky says that she "does not believe in coincidences." People who say that don't know they are saying something stupid--they think it's smart to say that.

The fact is that everything that happens is a near-impossible coincidence; what were the odds that anything that happens could happen? Near impossible.

But Mikulsky is a US Senator, so what can you expect?

The pinhed has also said "There are no coincidences," but that was just for the movie. rabbit

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Coincidence

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:10 am

Last edited by d e on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:18 am

I probably should have posted the entire article from the Post. The Post cited the lottery example, which is a good example for pure probability, because there are no complexities--just chance.

Mikulsky was saying that the recent 3 1/3 hour shutdown of the Dow Jones stock exchange must have been a terrorist act, because: "I don't believe in coincidences."

I don't think that context makes her look any smarter.

But the broader context is that the pinhed wasn't so much interested in the Post's putdown of Mikulsky as in the realization that everything that happens is virtually impossible. What were the odds that you would be born on your birthday? virtually zero. Shocked

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:15 am

Last edited by d e on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 am

d e wrote:the other day as I was walking on the street I thought: "of all that could have happened this happened". For a second it felt as if I had just landed on the planet and made it more interesting
That's the same thing I was thinking. Shocked

This is what Paul Kammerer called "the law of seriality."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: