ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Post  woo on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 am

I'm waiting with anticipation to learn how Shakira becomes Gypsy Daisy...

woo

Back to top Go down

Re: ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Post  pinhedz on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:43 am

Woo wrote:I'm waiting with anticipation to learn how Shakira becomes Gypsy Daisy...
You do you know it wasn't the other way around?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:02 am

Oh! what a tangled web we weave,
-- Sir Walter Scott

I know that you are all anxious for the pinhed, and you want to see him busted out of the Cook County jail ASAP. But the purpose of an Epilogue is to tie up all of the loose ends, and we left some dangling from an earlier date.

Recall that day long ago in May, when an unexpected wrinkle appeared in the Dillinger brothers sinister plan, and LaRue acquired the means to make a nuclear explosive device:

John – “We been robbed, Frankie. Who’d a thunk there’d be dishonest persons here in the heartland!” Mad

Frank – “Everything’s gone?” Shocked

John – “Everything. Could you see anybody out the window from where you were sitting?”

Frank – “All I saw was a little girl”

John –“How little?”

Frank – “Teenager.”

John – “Why would someone like that take it? She wouldn’t be able to do anything with it."

Frank – “Not unless she knows physics.”

John – “Girls don’t do physics--they do home economics.”

Frank – “Whatever you say, Precinct.”

John – “How many times I gotta tell you not to call me that? I hate that—it’s like back when the schoolyard bullies used to call me that. How would you like it if I went back to calling you Woo?”

Frank – “No, please, anything but that—it’s like all those screaming girls back in the schoolyard.”

John – “We gotta do something fast. The Big Boss is not going to be happy.”

Frank – “You got that right; Saint Jude will be most displeased. But he won’t ban us. We’re too important for his grand plan.”

John – “Well, I sure hope you’re right. But we gotta get back with Franco Rasetti* PDQ.”

Frank – “Is he in Canada yet?”

John – “Right across the border from Naniboujou. He’s our closest link to Enrico Fermi back in the old country.”

Frank – “OK, we’d better meet with him sooner rather than later.”

John – “And try to keep your mind off those women for a few days.”

Frank – “Don’t you think Abe Zimmerman’s girl is a hot little number? Reminds me of a Nashville chic I used to know.”

If you believe that, I have a Bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

It's like the famous tale of the legendary bandito Joaquin Murrietta (ca. 1829–July 25, 1853?) Did the California rangers who collected the $1,000 reward really kill and behead Murietta? Don't make me laugh--that head had red hair. Razz Everyone knows that Murietta lived to become Antonio Baderas.

Actually, Precinct could not have died in Chicago that July, because he was already in Canada with Rasetti. As was the case with Murietta, some poor patsy took the fall for Precinct. Take it from me, and you can take it to the bank. Cool

I think you've already guessed what happened next (you've probably been a step ahead of me all along). The Franco Rasetti Winery was the perfect cover for the Dillinger Brothers operations--perfect for concealing the gas centrifuge plant for uranium enrichment. They kept their heads low and stayed out of trouble until Precint made the foolish mistake of trying to muscle his way into Auk-Island-Winery turf.

So now he's a wanted man in Twillingate--but I'm getting ahead of the story ...

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:45 am

pinhedz wrote:
Woo wrote:I'm waiting with anticipation to learn how Shakira becomes Gypsy Daisy...
You do you know it wasn't the other way around?

Well, no. Either way, it's killing me--and I thank you.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 am

I know everyone looks forward to the action scenes, but sometimes exposition is also necessary to make sense of it all.

To LaRue, stealing the plans for "the gadget" had been an innocent prank, and it was fun figuring out the various masses of enriched uranium that would be necessary for critical mass at various enrichment levels (and the size of the explosion would be the biggest she'd ever seen cheers ).

However, even though LaRue is by no means a dim bulb, it took several years of course work before she began to grasp the significance of "the gadget," and the ominous meaning of it's having been found in the hands of mobsters. How could the Dillingers be on the verge of developing a fission device?

Long before Frank enlisted in the Army and went to Sicily to meet Suze Rotolo's future mother, LaRue had begun her post-graduate fellowship with Enrico Fermi at the University of Chicago. The more she learned, the greater her anxiety became. The Dillingers couldn't possibly have come up with "the gadget" by themselves, so who was helping them? Werner Heisenberg? Surely not Enrico Fermi? silent

While LaRue was puzzling over this enigma, the Dillinger brothers were in Canada preoccupied with wine-making and uranium enrichment (not counting Frank's regular trips across the border to Hibbing to rendezvous with Beatty Zimmerman), but they had not forgotten about LaRue. Nobody rips off the Dillinger brothers and gets away with it--it was just a matter of time before they would track her down. affraid

Working with Fermi under a post-graduate fellowship was very stimulating, but every day LaRue couldn't help wondering--could he be the one that's in with the mob? What would be the motive, to make Italy the first nuclear power? What if they double-cross him, and the mob becomes the first nuclear power? Neutral

Last edited by pinhedz on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 am

After months of soul searching, LaRue decided she had to confront Fermi:

LaRue: -- Dr. Fermi, are you free? Do you have time for us to have a talk about something?

Fermi: -- Of course, LaRue. Isn't it exciting how our nuclear pile is progressing? Very Happy

LaRue: -- Yes, but I have to talk to you about a different subject.

Fermi recognized this was a serious matter, and that it might be unpleasant. Neutral

LaRue: -- I have something to show you; have you ever seen this before? Suspect

Fermi takes the paper and puts on his reading glasses. Then his eyes grow wide:

Fermi: -- Where in heaven's name did you get this? Shocked

LaRue: -- I stole it--from mobsters--the Dillinger Brothers.

Fermi heaved a deep sigh:

Fermi: -- It is as I feared. Rasetti has committed a very rash act.

LaRue was relieved--evidently it was not Fermi who had committed the rash act. Fermi went on:

Fermi: -- Back at the Physics Department at the University of Rome in via Panisperna, there were five of us. We were like brothers, they called us "I ragazzi di Via Panisperna," because we were always together, always working, but the work was a joy. We loved making discoveries about nuclear energy--it was our obsession.

Fermi's face brightened for a moment, but then he heaved another deep sigh:

Fermi: -- Who would have believed it could come to this? Franco Rasetti was like the rest of us, he didn't care anything about politics, but when Fascisti came to power, he changed. Mad

LaRue: -- How so?

Fermi: -- He became power hungry. He came to believe that Italy should have world-power status. He didn't want to help the Americans, he wanted Italy to develop the first nuclear-explosive.

LaRue: -- Why would that make him go in with gangsters?

Fermi: -- Money, LaRue. The most difficult problem is acquiring enough fissile material for a critical mass. He realized he could only do it with financial help.

LaRue began to realize the possible consequences of her long silence:

LaRue: -- They've had years to develop their uranium enrichment capability--what will we do? Neutral

Fermi: -- There's no time to lose!

He thought hard for a minute. Being a world-class genius, that's all the time he needed.

Fermi: -- I think I have the solution!

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 am

We have to get back to the future and rescue the pinhed. bounce

No, wait--first we have to find out what Fermi's brilliant plan is:

pinhedz wrote:He thought hard for a minute. Being a world-class genius, that's all the time he needed.

Fermi: -- I think I have the solution!
Fermi: -- You must win their confidence.

LaRue:-- No way! I could get killed.

Fermi: -- But you have no choice.

LaRue: -- Do too, I don't want anything to do with them.

Fermi: -- No, you don't. It's not a matter of you going to them, they will come to you. They'll find you--it's only a matter of time.

LaRue: -- How can they find me?

Fermi: -- It's what they do; they'll find you like a bloodhound. No one has ever stolen from them and got away with it. I'm surprised they haven't found you already.

LaRue turned thoughtful. What Fermi was saying made a lot of sense.

LaRue: -- How can I win their confidence? Won't they just kill me?

Fermi: -- Not right away. You have something they want, and they'll find out where it is first. That will give you the time you need to convince them that they need you alive.

LaRue: -- Why would they need me alive?

Fermi: -- Because of what you know. You know more than Rasetti now, because he has been isolated for the last 18 months. He can no longer follow the progress we are making. I have not communicated with him--none of the Panisperna group will talk to him. The gangsters need you to tell them what to do next.

LaRue: -- But we don't want them to know--do we?

Fermi: -- As long as we know--from you--what stage they have reached, we can make sure they don't get to their destination. They'll think you are a spy in their midst, but you'll really be a spy in their midst!

A heavy burden for a teenager to take on, but what were the alternatives?

After a long thoughtful silence, Fermi went on:

Fermi: -- I don't know how long it will be before they find you, but I have a favor to ask in the meantime.

Just what LaRue needed--another onerous task on top of all the stress. But Fermi went on:

Fermi: -- We need to write a letter to the President.

LaRue: -- What?!

Fermi: -- We need to warn him about the danger. Roosevelt might not pay any attention to me, so Einstein has promised that he will sign the letter if I write it. So, I said that I would write it, but ... you know .. my English ...

LaRue: -- Oh, yes! We all know.

Fermi: -- Will you help? Tell him about the danger, use your own words, and Einstein will sign it.

LaRue moved to the chair in front of the old manual typewriter and began to think. Then, she began to type slowly:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:01 am

Once again, I've been receiving PMs demanding more explanations.

People want to know how Woo could have been transformed from Frank Dillinger, the ruthless--but irresistable--gangster, into the almost pure spiritual being that we all know as Woo, who would later invoke the forces of nature atop Mount Naniboujou.

This could only have happened in Canada.

Against all expectations, when the Dillinger brothers joined Franco Rasetti in Canada to pursue their sinister plot under the cover of an innocent wine-making venture--the Franco Rasetti Winery--the winery actually made money. As it turned out, people visiting north-eastern Minnesota and buying souvenirs were gullible enough to want to sample novelties like Vin des Bleuets-Framboises, and Franco--much to his chagrin--found himself the toast (so to speak) of the Naniboujou Lodge and surrounding localities.

But, as you can well imagine, people producing wine in Canada experience a good deal of "down time." Frank (Woo) found himself taking long walks through the wilderness, and even discovered paths that took him back and forth between Minnesota and Canada without encountering another human being.

It was inevitable that he would encounter members of the First Nations, and so he did.

Their way of life intrigued him (also, some of them were quite fetching), and he began to use much of his down time reading about them and their history.

Last edited by pinhedz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:28 am

And wouldn't you know it--one day a mysterious young beauty came across the border looking for a job as a cocktail waitress at the Naniboujou Lodge:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:52 am

pinhedz wrote:LaRue: -- I stole it--from mobsters--the Dillinger Brothers.

lol!

tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:11 am

pinhedz wrote:And wouldn't you know it--one day a mysterious young beauty came across the border looking for a job as a cocktail waitress at the Naniboujou Lodge:

Oh My...

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:17 am

Once again, I've been receiving PMs demanding more explanations.

People want to know how Woo could have been transformed from Frank Dillinger, the ruthless--but irresistable--gangster, into the almost pure spiritual being that we all know as Woo, who would later invoke the forces of nature atop Mount Naniboujou.

This could only have happened in Canada.

Hahahaha. Just call Woo, Brasco, Donnie Brasco...

Didn't we learn the "deets" is really the "deed"?---but that in the epilogue.

Is LaRue a time-traveler? Edit:

Snaggletooth – “Naniboujou 2011. You must have been having some dream.”

Pinhed – “No, it wasn’t a dream, it was a real place, and it was 1934; and Rue and Andy and ISN and everybody … and you were there, in the bar in Duluth.”

There is something going on here with time-travel, but I don't know what it is. Is this all a dream? When this ends will John Lennon be heard singing "the dream is over, yesterday..."

I think Heisenberg from 'Breaking Bad' is in this tale too.

Maybe the cast of this motley crew is really on a mysterious island that has mystical powers. Anyone seen Hurley? I wonder if Michelle Bachman is gonna end up in this tale appearing as the Devil's dumb sister, Satana Dee.

I wonder the age of Shakira in that photo. Back it late '90s when I'd see her on 'El Gordo y la Flaca'...I'm gonna stop now.

The sweety at the doc's office calls me gangsta. I put a spell on her.

I stayed in Canada for a month one night.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:43 am

Woo wrote:There is something going on here with time-travel, but I don't know what it is. Is this all a dream?
Andy wrote:"Maybe it was in the past, or it might be yet to come in the future. Ever since time went into a flux, it's become very difficult to remember anything."
... or maybe it was really John Fahey who said that. Who can remember?

All I can tell you is that the story you are about to see is true--only the facts have been changed.
If Eddie can pass through a worm hole and come out a polar bear, Woo might have spent more time in Canada than he remembers. geek

And if Woo's memory is not so good any more, remember that Frank was shell-shocked in Sicily. He spent the rest of the war in Captain Rotolo's company of partisans, but most of the time he was being nursed by Rotolo's lady friend Maria Theresa.

And by the time Frank rejoined the family business in Canada, Bobby Zimmerman and Suze Rotolo were both already toddling merrily around and falling down on the carpet in front of their respective cuckolded "fathers." Laughing

August 25, 1940 -- Beatty Zimmerman pregnant

August 26, 1940 -- Frank Dillinger enlists in the Army

May 25, 1941 -- Robert Allen Zimmerman born

November 20, 1943 -- Suze Rotolo born

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:10 am

So LaRue made it through the war without being abducted by the Dillinger gang. Go figure. But after all, running a high-end resort and a Canadian winery doesn't leave much time to pursue nuclear-weapons acquisition.

But inevitably the day came. Rue was at her desk late one night, pondering over the possibility of using a fission device to drive a fusion stage, when a hand with a chloroform-soaked rag suddenly covered her nose and mouth, and she lost consciousness.

How long was she unconsciousness? She didn't know. She came to slowly in an elegantly furnished room decorated in a native-American motif. She was in a large cushioned arm-chair, and everything was blurry, but she could make out two figures standing in front of her.

As they came into focus, it was as she expected--there were Frankie and Johnny. affraid

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:36 am

Woo wrote:Didn't we learn the "deets" is really the "deed"?--but that in the epilogue.
That was first mentioned in Episode I.

But I should probably remind you (I have to remember that possibly not everyone has followed everything) that there are actually two deets--one for the shoreline property including the Naniboujou resort, and another for the property farther inland that includes Mount Naniboujou.
And at this point in the story, the brothers still have the deets.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 am

I don't think you need me to tell you that Woo has noticed the new cocktail waitress--but more about that later.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 am

Right now it's early Saturday morning in the Naniboujou dining room (let's hope LaRue is OK Neutral ). When the doors open, Franco Rasetti will be hosting one of his popular monthly wine tastings.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 am

Instead of the usual saucy late-night entertainment, you can expect tasteful Celtic harp music:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:19 am

Forgive me if I get off on another brief tangent, but in response to those comments about "time travel," I would point out that some people just seem to never get old.

Case in point, Franco Rasetti hosting his very first wine tasting back in the 1940s:

... and Franco hosting his last wine tasting in 2001 (a little more gray, maybe, but that's about it):

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:46 am

And, not to leave any loose ends hanging, here's Rasetti's obituary (which I am not making up):

"FRANCO RASETTI dies at the age of 100

Franco Rasetti, who has died aged 100, was the last surviving member of the group of Italian scientists, led by Enrico Fermi, which succeeded in splitting the atom during the 1930s. Both men left Italy before the Second World War, Fermi moving to America and Rasetti to Canada.

When Fermi began working on the Manhattan Project at the University of Chicago, developing the atomic bomb, Rasetti refused to join him, although he was not a pacifist. His former colleagues cold-shouldered him from then on. Rasetti then began to study botany."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:56 am

pinhedz wrote:

Oh my...

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:17 am

[quote="pinhedz"] And if Woo's memory is not so good any more, remember that Frank was shell-shocked in Sicily. He spent the rest of the war in Captain Rotolo's company of partisans, but most of the time he was being nursed by Rotolo's lady friend Maria Theresa. [quote]

Just the other day I told my sobrina that Theresa is one of my favourite names.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:29 am

Not Dead Yet wrote:Oh my...
Poor Woo; he's headed for the worst crisis of his life, and doesn't even realize it. Neutral

But we left Rue in a tough spot, too.

As a rule, a movie script should have dialogue, but I think you all know that she handled the situation and came out of it with a whole skin.

Yes, she convinced the Dillingers that she was as power-mad as they were--she wanted world domination, and knew they could achieve it if they all worked together. They thought they might have difficulty getting her to divulge where she had hidden the diagram of "the gadget." Imagine their surprise when she pulled it out of her shoe. Shocked

They liked her style (although her ruthlessness was almost scary).

She told them emphatically that she was way ahead of Rasetti in development of a workable fission device. John wondered if that was true (and what the heck it meant), so the next step was a sit-down with Rasetti.

As the three of them entered the dining room of the Lodge, the wine tasting was in full swing and Rasetti was holding forth, expounding on the virtues of the Franco Rasetti Winery product line:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:02 pm

LaRue and the brothers sat at a table in the corner until Rasetti finished his pitch:

"First, on the nose, you will delight in the pronounced candy and bubble-gum scents, which even exhibit a sense of terroir, or terruño. On the palate, there is a juicy acidity, but deliciously fruity and always sweet, but nonetheless a long, lingering dry finish with a hint of damp dog fur and pronounced mineral and formaldehyde tones, a result of the rocky soils in which the fruit is grown. Taste it once and you will never forget--serve it to your guests, and they will talk about it for days!"

The guests all sampled the wine with exclamations of delight. John beckoned to Rasetti to come over to the table. As he turned away from the wine-tasting group, Rasetti's broad smile turned into a grimace, then a scowl.

As he reached the table he said:

"You know what I have to work with! True grapes will not grow from frozen rocks! My family would not drink this wine--they would not put it into their sauces--it would only be fit to poison the Borgias!"

Then he saw LaRue and stopped short:

"Forgive me, dear lady. Franco is rude--Franco is a brute. This outburst was not for your eyes and ears ..."

"Sit down," said John "she wants to go in with us."

Franco's eyes grew wide:

"And she is ... the one? You have come from Fermi's laboratory?"

Without a word, LaRue pulled 4 thick laboratory notebooks from her briefcase and dropped them on the table. Rasetti seized them greedily and began to pour over the contents.

John smiled and said: "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Cool

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:07 am

The wine tasting was a bit more crowded than usual, thanks to a group that had arrived all in one vehicle. It had pulled up shortly before the beginning of the event, much to the delight of the arriving guests, most of whom had never seen a large 1925 touring car before (this one driven up all the way from the Fort Snelling military base).

Andy was driving, as usual (they'd never allow the pinhed to drive), but the pinhed and Nash were both in the front seat too--the pinhed to navigate, and Nash to act as den mother. The rest of the bunch were piled in behind them, and over the 3-hour trip from Fort Snelling, Nash had grown hoarse from turning around and yelling: "You all settle down and shut up! You can go to the bathroom when we get there--no, we're not there yet!"

Now, finally, they were there. A cluster of people gathered around to admire the old car. A matronly lady asked "Is this your car?"

The pinhed said "It belongs to Fort Snelling, but we're using it for a sort of a reunion get together. The last time this group were all together like this was for a Bob Dylan tour years ago--with this very same car; we started in Hibbing and ended up in Dinkytown Very Happy "

The lady said: "That sounds like fun! Who's Bob Dylan?"

[Goodness--was that Beatty Zimmerman? ]

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top