ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Post  pinhedz on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Episode I needs an epilogue (it left too many loose ends hanging).

Episode I, epilogue, part 1:

It has been three days since the deluge subsided, and the scene in the Naniboujou bar has grown quiet again. Snaggletooth had been giving out the cheap stuff for free to pacify the NET fans, and it worked. With such a long line for the restrooms (even the mens’) many left the building to relieve themselves and thankfully passed out on the grass.

Those who were still in the bar were either passed out, hungover, or too lethargic and enervated to say “WOO!” anymore. A man in a fake moustache was checking all the beer bottles to see if there was anything left in them.

Still awake at the bar, pinhed was in his third day of droning on about Minnesota history, geography and geology (something about an ancient sea that deposited the limestone, shale and sandstone before the glaciers moved in and … blah, blah, blah). Felix was snoring with his mouth open, but Andy was trying to act interested.

They had sampled nearly all of the wine list by this stage, and Snaggletooth was trying to offer them some very long-in-the-tooth Beaujolais nouveau (1996, if memory serves), but Andy was not falling for that. Even Felix jerked awake momentarily, long enough to say:

-- “Our troops will be havin’ naught to do with any such swill as that, thank you very much!”

Rue and Twood had pulled their canoe onto the beach and made their way up to the lodge. They weren’t saying much—feeling bad about the NET fans they’d accidentally blown up—so they were at the other end of the bar drowning their sorrows in beer.

The pinhed had moved on to some story about Frank Hibbing and the founding of Hibbing, Minnesota, back in the 19th century.

Pinhed – “And from Bob’s own words we know that Frank Hibbing is the key to decoding his obscure lyrics. You can read the album notes to John Wesley Harding, and it plainly says “The Key Is Frank.”

Andy – “I believe that to be nearly perfect nonsense pinhed, and I totally disagree, but I will disagree respectfully.”

Pinhed – “Be that as it may, Frank was a very interesting character. Did you know that he also owned the two Naniboujou properties—the beach area including the resort here, and the larger property, including Mount Naniboujou?”

Andy – “But surely this place was not built by a country bumpkin like Frank Hibbing! Where would he have got the money for anything so lavish? And what’s the story with this place, anyway? Here we sit in the middle of the wilderness, right next to the Canadian border, and we find ourselves in a lodge and banquet hall fit for the richest of the rich.”

Pinhed – “It’s no mystery, really. This place was built by and for wealthy gangsters—including Frank Dillinger—during the prohibition era.”

Andy – “Ahah-gotcha! That means the key is Frank Dillinger!”

Pinhed – “Oops, I didn’t think of that.”

Andy – “So does that mean that Frank Hibbing was in with the gangsters?”

Pinhed – “That is not entirely clear. I’m not sure how the gangsters acquired the properties, or if they even owned the properties legally. It was a lawless time, after all, and few would have undertaken to cross the likes of Frank Dillinger.”

Andy – “But surely their must have been legal documents.”

Pinhed – “Yes, I’m not sure what happened to those. But I remember reading one time that they were last known to be in the keeping of a certain A. Zimmerman in Hibbing.”

Andy – “So what do we know about this enigmatic “A. Zimmerman?”

Pinhed – “Only that he was some sort of small-time business man. The Hibbings likely had to sell the properties when they were in financial difficulties, and Zimmerman probably just bought the real estate as an investment.”

to be continued ...

Last edited by pinhedz on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 am; edited 4 times in total

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Post  eddie on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:26 pm

"After the deluge..."

Hmm. Like the ancient classical writers, you begin, I note, "in media res". Good tactic.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Re: ATU--The Movie, EPISODE I (with epilogue part 1 and 2) -- and EPISODE II -- and EPISODE III -- and EPISODE IV

Post  pinhedz on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 am

I forgot to set the scene first:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 am

Continue on, pinnie...

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Pardon the exposition:

Abe Zimmerman, born in 1911, had been an aspiring businessman almost from birth. By the age of 7 he was selling newspapers and shining shoes. He was a wheeler-dealer, but he was not reckless--he graduated from High School in 1929, and shortly after witnessed the most catastrophic stock-market crash in US history. He was not a man to ignore a valuable lesson. So he did the responsible thing and took a steady job with a solid company--Standard Oil.

Abe saved his money and within a few years felt prosperous enough to pursue the girl of his dreams (the fact that he had done some successful land speculation on the side didn't hurt). So he commenced to courtin' and a sparkin' with local beauty Beatty Stone.

In late 1933, Abe made a land deal that he thought could be his big break--but he needed it to turn out well, in order to be able to live his dream with Beatty.

Abe's windfall was the result of bad fortune for the Hibbing family to the south. They had developed the Naniboujou properties on the northern coast of Lake Superior as a posh resort back in the prosperous 1920s, but the depression had hit them hard. The maintenance cost in the harsh northern climate had drained their resources and the great lodge and banquet hall were becoming rundown. They had to sell, and they had to sell for what they could get.

On the one hand, Abe acquired Naniboujou at a bargain price, but there was a downside--he still had to go into debt to buy the lavish resort, and he had to mortgage all of his other properties.

All would work out for the best if he could just find the financial backing to restore Naniboujou to it's former glory--but where could he find such a wealthy guarantor?

Abe was a man of foresight, and he had already taken care of that angle, as he explained to Beatty, who was still only 18, going on 19.

It is May of 1934, only weeks from the wedding. Abe's parents are out, so Beatty is making dinner for the two of them:

Abe: "The key is Frank."

Beatty: "And what exactly is that supposed to mean--The key is Frank?"

Abe: "You're about to find out--I invited them for dinner--two brothers."

Beatty: "You what? What makes you think we have enough hot dish?"

Abe: "Mom always keeps lots of noodles and Campell's cream of mushroom soup in the cupboard."

Beatty: "But what about jello salad? Did you think of that? If I have to make more, it takes 4 hours to set!"

Abe: "You can give them mine" said Abe, sheepishly.

Just then there was a knock at the door, and Beatty scurried to put water on the burner for noodles and started opening the Campbell's soup cans.

She turned around as the two men entered the kitchen--the Dillinger brothers, John and Frank:

John was a typical tough, sneering gangster type, but Frank had a boyish insouciance which, combined with a dangerous, roguish glint in his eyes, made women swoon.

Beatty felt weak in the knees:

"W-won't you sit down?" she said, wiping her hands on the dish cloth.

Frank saw that she had a sturdy domestic look about her as she went about her business in her apron. Frank had a weakness for such women (unbeknown to the floozies that fell all over him at the nightclubs and speakeasies).

[I'm not sure where this is going, but something tells me Abe might not be Bob's real father Shocked ]

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Frank sat at the kitchen table drinking in Beatty, until Abe awkwardly interrupted:

Abe – "Ahem … we can go to the dining room to talk until dinner’s ready."

Beatty – "Yes, you men can do your man talk in private, and I’ll bring in the hot dish in a little bit."

So Beatty was working away, when the doorbell rang again unexpectedly.
And there at the door were 3 teenage girls she had never seen before.

Cath – "Hello, are you Mrs. Zimmerman?"

Beatty – "Not yet. Who are you?"

Cath – "I’m Catherine, and these are my two friends, Tatiana and Moonbeam. We’ve come all the way from Australia for the Bob Dylan walking tour of Minnesota!"

Beatty – "That sounds like fun; who’s Bob Dylan?"

Cath – "We read that Bob was conceived right here in this house."

Beatty – "I don’t think so, sweetie. There aren’t any Welshmen in this part of Minnesota."

Cath – "Have you and Abe been conceiving any babies yet?"

Beatty – "The very idea! [she blushes] We aren’t even married yet. And those times in the back seat of the car, we were careful."

Cath – "Oh, I can tell this is the right place. This is where it all started! We start here in Duluth, then we go to Hibbing, and it finally all ends in Dinkytown!"

Abe heard the doorbell and came out to see who was there.

Beatty – "These girls are looking for someone named Bob Dylan. Do you know who that is dear?"

Abe – "He can’t be from around here."

Cath – "Dylan wasn’t his real name."

Abe – "Gave himself a new name? Same old story with all those Odessites, I guess."

The business conference having been interrupted, Frank Dillinger came back into the kitchen. This time it was Tatiana who went weak in the knees:

Tatiana -- "Hello handsome! Haven't we met before? Didn't you used to be a pirate? I love you "

Out of nowhere, pinhed, Felix and Andy walk in.

Andy -- "Maybe it was in the past, or it might be yet to come in the future. Ever since time went into a flux, it's become very difficult to remember anything."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 am

Cath sees the pinhed and gives him a wry look:

Cath - "So, you've pulled yourself away from that Ali-Baba north-woods lava-field bar? Are you still enchanted by that brazen hussy with all the identities?"

Pinhed [blushing, as always] -- "No, I'm through with her for good. I poured a bucket of water over her, and she melted."

Frank D. -- "Who told you about the place up north? Pretty Boy better not be thinking about muscling in on our deal! Suspect "

But for all his gruff exterior, Frank was nevertheless a bit taken with Cath's petite spunkiness.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Some might think it far-fetched that this crowd suddenly showed up all at the same time at the same place, but there is a perfectly plausible explanation. The pinhed had offered to be tour guide for the group, as long as Andy agreed to drive. With his connections at Fort Snelling, the pinhed managed to secure temporary use of a large 1925 model touring car (he told the commander it was a matter of national security):

With 10 people in the Zimmerman’s kitchen, things are starting to feel a bit crowded, but there are still two of the ATU road show that are unaccounted for. Upon arriving in Duluth, Pinhed, Andy and Felix had naturally headed for the bar while the crewe from Kangaroo couldn’t wait to find Bob’s house.

But LaRue was most chagrined to learn that the drinking age in Minnesota is 21, while the pinhed figured he could just keep her and Twood tethered to the railing outside the bar. But, as usual, those crazy kids wandered off somewhere. The pinhed knew that the first thing they’d do would be to try to find some high explosives or build a sub-atomic particle accelerator.

So the pinhed was glad when the Zimmermans and Dillingers excused themselves to take care of their financial matters, so that he could round up the tourists (which is like trying to herd cats or moderating a discussion forum). As the ATU tour group loaded themselves into the touring car to begin the search for Rue and Twood, the pinhed noticed something odd—why was the trunk to the Dillingers’ car open? : Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 pm

and so it was ...that tats and Frank Dillinger.......

Smile
Cool I love you Sad sunny Smile Smile Smile

tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 pm

tatiana wrote:and so it was ...that tats and Frank Dillinger.......

Smile
Cool I love you Sad sunny Smile Smile Smile
But don't forget that Beatty is also weak in the knees. I'm afraid there might be some broken hearts before this is over. Neutral Sad

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:12 am

Back in the Zimmerman dining room, the Dillinger brothers had little difficulty coming to terms with Abe Zimmerman on a plan for revitalizing Naniboujou. What was high finance for Abe was just small change for the mobsters.

But when John happened to look out the window, he saw that the trunk of their car was open. He made a mad scramble for the front door, but there was no one in sight. When he reached the car, he saw that the worst had happened—all the materials acquired from Enrico Fermi by way of the Italian mob in Chicago where gone.

The sample gas centrifuge tube was gone, along with the block of beryllium, the blue prints for the reactor, and—worst of all—the plans for “The Gadget.”

Frank came up behind John:

Frank – “What’s up Johnny? Did you run out for some good reason?” scratch

John – “We been robbed, Frankie. Who’d a thunk there’d be dishonest persons here in the heartland!” Mad

Frank – “Everything’s gone?” Shocked

John – “Everything. Could you see anybody out the window from where you were sitting?”

Frank – “All I saw was a little girl”

John –“How little?”

Frank – “Teenager.”

John – “Why would someone like that take it? She wouldn’t be able to do anything with it."

Frank – “Not unless she knows physics.”

John – “You said it was a girl; girls don’t do physics--they do home economics.”

Frank – “Whatever you say, Precinct.”

John – “How many times I gotta tell you not to call me that? I hate that—it’s like back when the schoolyard bullies used to call me that. How would you like it if I went back to calling you Woo?”

Frank – “No, please, anything but that—it’s like all those screaming girls back in the schoolyard.”

John – “We gotta do something fast. The Big Boss is not going to be happy.”

Frank – “You got that right; Saint Jude will be most displeased. But he won’t ban us. We’re too important for his grand plan.”

John – “Well, I sure hope you’re right. But we gotta get back with Franco Rasetti* PDQ.”

Frank – “Is he in Canada yet?”

John – “Right across the border from Naniboujou. He’s our closest link to Enrico Fermi back in the old country.”

Frank – “OK, we’d better meet with him sooner rather than later.”

John – “And try to keep your mind off those women for a few days.”

Frank – “Don’t you think Abe Zimmerman’s girl is a hot little number? Reminds me of a Nashville chic I used to know.”

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

The "Panisperna Boys:"Oscar D'Agostino, Emilio Segrè, Edoardo Amaldi, Franco Rasetti, and Enrico Fermi (1934)

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:50 am

Time marches on, and so must our story:

June 10, 1934 -- Abram Zimmerman marries Beatrice Stone

July 22, 1934 -- John Dillinger dies in a shootout with police

December 1, 1938 -- LaRue detects traces of barium after bombarding uranium with neutrons. Lise Meitner congratulates her for discovering nuclear fission

December 10, 1938 -- Enrico Fermi emigrates to the US and offers LaRue a post-grad fellowship at the University of Chicago

August 25, 1940 -- Beatty Zimmerman pregnant

August 26, 1940 -- Frank Dillinger enlists in the Army

May 25, 1941 -- Robert Allen Zimmerman born in Duluth

December 15, 1959 -- Bob Zimmerman sits alone in his gray room over Grey's Drug Store in Dinkytown. He writes earnestly in his UofM spiral notebook:

"Robert Allen Zimmerman'

[Not good. Not a good name for a folk singer. Try something else--remember, THE KEY IS FRANK]

"Robert Allen Dillinger"

[No--too stiff and formal]

"Bobby Dillinger"

[No way--too dorky]

"Bobby Dillin"

[Too cute]

"Bob Dillon"

[Better, but it needs to be more offbeat]

"Bob Dylan"

[Yes, that's it]

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  LaRue on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 am

You're my hero, Pinz! I love you

Last edited by LaRue on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total

LaRue
Suzerain Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 am

Embarassed

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 am

The man with a fake moustache drops a bottle, the pinhed jerks awake, and sees that now both Felix and Andy are sound asleep. From behind the bar, Snaggletooth scowls at fake moustache man, and then sees that the pinhed is awake:

Snaggletooth – “I think you’ve outdone yourself this time pinhed, besides putting everyone else to sleep, you even put yourself to sleep.”

Pinhed – “Where are we? What year is this?”

Snaggletooth – “Naniboujou 2011. You must have been having some dream.”

Pinhed – “No, it wasn’t a dream, it was a real place, and it was 1934; and Rue and Andy and ISN and everybody … and you were there, in the bar in Duluth.”

Snaggletooth – “I’ve worked in lots of bars in Duluth.”

Pinhed – “You may laugh, but there’s a loose nuke somewhere in the north woods, and Bob Dylan is not who people think he is. What’s more, if Frank lived through the war, he’s after LaRue for sure.”

“Ahem” says LaRue, standing behind the pinhed, “I can tell when people are talking about me, you know.”

Pinhed – “OK, all I want is a straight answer to a straight question. Did you make a nuclear explosive device? Don’t beat around the bush—just answer me straight.”

LaRue—“And if I did, which is not to say that I did or I didn’t, what’s that to you?”

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 am

It just hit me--Frank Dillinger and Woo are the same person. affraid

Which means that Bob is Woo's offspring. silent

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 pm

pinhedz wrote:It just hit me--Frank Dillinger and Woo are the same person. affraid

Cool

tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:33 am

pinhedz wrote:It just hit me--Frank Dillinger and Woo are the same person. affraid

Wow...where have you been? Probably smoking weed with his wacky brothers. And you created the dang story. Be affraid. Be very affraid. I'm in a murderin' mood and I got my eyes set on the creator who won't let me die.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 am

aloha wrote:And you created the dang story.
So you think I'm just making this up?

As for killing you off, you could die on Omaha Beach, Hiroshima, or Canada. Any preference?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:32 am

pinhedz wrote:
aloha wrote:And you created the dang story.
So you think I'm just making this up?

As for killing you off, you could die on Omaha Beach, Hiroshima, or Canada. Any preference?

It's not made up if you believe it's true.

I'd perfer dying on Shakira...a. I think my boy, Bob, would too.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 am

I think I had better check with the women on the forum to find out if there are any objections.

Objections? Speak up now before the movie turns pornographic.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:46 pm

What's that? You want to hear 'Objection' by Shakira? Why, so do I. Yeah!

Pornography? Written artfully, it could be a quite beautiful scene in the film. Well, in a creepy kind of way. There is an opportunity for some comedy as well. Anyway, you're the creator, write what ya please...

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:53 pm

you know, i was just sitting here, thinking about how much of everything is just one horrific comedy.

lol!

tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top