View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Yak's Summer Movie Preview

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

(attn- possible spoilers)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: The Yak's Summer Movie Preview

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 11:06 am

The most important thing to know about the summer movie season is that Paul Rudd will NOT be playing the Hank Pym incarnacion of ANT-MAN.  He will be the Scott Lang incarnacion of ANT-MAN.  Michael Douglas will be appearing as Hank Pym in the film.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 11:07 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:The most important thing to know about the summer movie season is that Paul Rudd will NOT be playing the Hank Pym incarnacion of ANT-MAN.  He will be the Scott Lang incarnacion of ANT-MAN.  Michael Douglas will be appearing as Hank Pym in the film.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 23, 2015 7:07 am

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING ABOUT TOMORROW LAND

indieWIRE, Greg Cwik May 17, 2015

Bird has crafted a gorgeous world rife with creativity and inventive images. A Spielbergian sense of candid awe and wonder permeates each scene with a nostalgic edge.

CineVue, Edward Frost May 21, 2015

An amalgamation of Disney's heritage, current status and future enterprises that starts in the evocatively rendered 1964 World's Fair, Tomorrowland is a refreshing and well-intentioned standalone piece that revels in a creatively manufactured appropriation of the conglomerate's existence.

San Francisco Chronicle, Mick LaSalle May 21, 2015

The movie is saying something worth hearing about the place the future holds, the concept and promise of it, in human existence. It’s an attempt to wrest that vision from the narrow fantasies of doom-peddling action filmmakers. That’s an attempt worth making.

Tampa Bay Times, Steve Persall May 21, 2015

There's a surprising number of salient, even revolutionary notions about human nature and intelligence throughout, none fully explored but enough to make the running time at least 20 minutes too long.

New York Magazine (Vulture), David Edelstein May 21, 2015

It’s so smart, so winsome, so utterly rejuvenating that you’ll have to wait until your eyes have dried and your buzz has worn off before you can begin to argue with it. And you should argue with it — even if you had a blast, as I did, and want to see it again with the kids, as I do — because it’s a major pop-culture statement with all sorts of implications, both vital and nutty.

The A.V. Club, A.A. Dowd May 19, 2015

Bird stages the PG mayhem with his usual grasp of dimension and space, his gift for action that’s timed like physical comedy. He keeps the whole thing moving, even when it begins to feel bogged down by preachiness and sci-fi exposition.

TheWrap, Inkoo Kang May 17, 2015

Tomorrowland is a globe-trotting, time-traveling caper whose giddy visual whimsies and exuberant cartoon violence are undermined by a coy mystery that stretches as long as the line for “Space Mountain” on a hot summer day.

Philadelphia Inquirer, Steven Rea May 21, 2015

Unlikely to be remembered in decades to come - or even in months to come, once the next teenage dystopian fantasy inserts itself into movie houses.

Boston Globe, Ty Burr May 21, 2015

The thing barely makes a lick of sense. Rapturous on a scene-by-scene basis and nearly incoherent when taken as a whole, the movie is idealistic and deranged, inspirational and very, very conflicted.

The Telegraph, Tim Robey May 21, 2015

Tomorrowland is half a day having all the fun of the fair, and half a day paying for it back in the classroom.

Time Out London May 18, 2015

When it puts down its copy of ‘Political Philosophy for Dummies’ and focuses on character and action, Tomorrowland is a blast.

Slate, Dana Stevens May 22, 2015

Tomorrowland is a highly original, occasionally even visionary piece of sci-fi filmmaking, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good movie.

New York Post, Lou Lumenick May 20, 2015

The film never adds up to the sum of its parts, effectively a two-hour trailer for a movie I’d still be interested in seeing.

The Playlist, Rodrigo Perez May 19, 2015

Steeped in a nostalgia that often feels borrowed and canned—the space-age era impulses of progress and possibility from the 1950s and ‘60s—Tomorrowland asks that you never give up or lose hope, literally and figuratively, over and over again, to the point that the movie has little else to say.

Portland Oregonian, Marc Mohan May 21, 2015

Multiplex audiences can choose over the next few weeks between two starkly different views of the future. The remnants of humanity struggle for survival in the brutal world of "Mad Max: Fury Road," while Tomorrowland offers an optimistic retro-future paradise full of jetpacks and robots. Me, I'll take post-apocalyptic desert wasteland over soulless corporate utopia any day of the week.

The New York Times, A.O. Scott May 21, 2015

Its idea of the future is abstract, theoretical and empty, and it can only fill in the blank space with exhortations to believe and to hope. But belief without content, without a critical picture of the world as it is, is really just propaganda. Tomorrowland, searching for incitements to dream, finds slogans and mistakes them for poetry.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Joe Williams May 21, 2015

Disney’s gimmick of naming movies for its theme-park attractions crashes and burns in Tomorrowland, a here-and-now caper that will confuse children, bore adults and offend anyone who’s ever taken a science class.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 24, 2015 10:20 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 24, 2015 10:24 am

Deadspins Daily

Tomorrowland is a movie about optimism and hope and brightness and good cheer, which probably explains why it put me in such a foul mood.

There are all sorts of plot lines and setups going on here, but that’s what everything comes down to: The world is terrible because we’re all feeding the wrong wolf. Now, I get this message in theory, and I don’t even disagree with it. But it curdles and sours in this case, because it’s so oppressive. This is a Disney movie about how humanity needs more Disney movies—that sort of vague, empty Disney wisdom where we stop obsessing over the complexity of the world and the legitimate darkness out there, and just all go out into the forest and sing. Have a Coke and smile! Tomorrowland’s “good cheer,” in many ways, comes down to nostalgia. All this talk about the 1964 World’s Fair (which I was not around for, but man, considering how often it’s used as the launching pad for American ingenuity and a wistful reminder of What We Once Were, it must have been amazing) and old-timey robots and NASA-driven laments that We Don’t Dream Anymore ... the whole thing feels, at times, like Baby Boomers shaking their fists at Those Kids Today. We were like this before. Why can’t we be again? Well, because you’re not freaking 12 anymore. The world’s tough sometimes. Take this movie, for example.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 am

Yeahbut, Mrs pinz wants to see it, because, I suspect, it's got George Clooney. Rolling Eyes

What else would anyone want?* Other than green Zoe Saldana? I love you I love you I love you

*Note: that answer to that is Antonio Banderas. Rolling Eyes

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 25, 2015 4:00 pm

ohuh, J-Park4 star Chris Pratt is stepping in dino dung and has already issued the apology on Social Instantgram:

"I want to make a heartfelt apology for whatever it is I end up accidentally saying during the forthcoming ‪#‎JurassicWorld‬ press tour. I hope you understand it was never my intention to offend anyone and I am truly sorry. I swear. I'm the nicest guy in the world. And I fully regret what I (accidentally will have) said in (the upcoming foreign and domestic) interview(s).

I am not in the business of making excuses. I am just dumb. Plain and simple. I try. I REALLY try! When I do (potentially) commit the offensive act for which I am now (pre) apologizing you must understand I (will likely have been) tired and exhausted when I (potentially) said that thing I (will have had) said that (will have had) crossed the line. Those rooms can get stuffy and the hardworking crews putting these junkets together need some entertainment! (Likely) that is who I was trying to crack up when I (will have had) made that tasteless and unprofessional comment. Trust me. I know you can't say that anymore. In fact in my opinion it was never right to say the thing I definitely don't want to but probably will have said. To those I (will have) offended please understand how truly sorry I already am. I am fully aware that the subject matter of my imminent forthcoming mistake, a blunder (possibly to be) dubbed "JurassicGate" is (most likely) in no way a laughing matter. To those I (will likely have had) offended rest assured I will do everything in my power to make sure this doesn't happen (again)."

SPOILER: DON'T ENGINEER A DINO HYBRID AND NAME IT INDOMINUS REX - THE GODS CAN'T STAND THIS TYPE OF HUBRIS, 4 REEL

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 25, 2015 4:15 pm

but these dumb movies and sporting events are just the circuses from The Bread & Circuses stratagem to distract EL PUEBLO from starting LA REVOLUCION

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:Bread & Circuses

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down