Next film I'll not see

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Next film I'll not see

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Next film I'll not see

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:55 am

Academy voters seem to be under two false impressions, which will converge in giving the Oscar to Redmayne. The first false impression is that the highest form of acting is to imitate the stages of an illness. The second false impression is that an equally high form of acting is to play a famous person, convincingly. So it must be that if you convincingly play a famous sick person, you have reached the pinnacle of artistry.

But this is nonsense. Art, great art, happens when there is no road map, when the artist is out there all alone, creating his or her own path, pushing through the dark to some new, undiscovered place. Art is what is created, not imitated.

If an actor is playing a real person, he has his endpoint already in sight. He knows what he has to look like and sound like. Moreover he has the aid of every technical department to bring off that illusion.

And if an actor is playing someone with a disease, particularly a degenerative disease, the physical path for the character can be finely delineated. Without delving inside, without making powerful emotional discoveries or employing an actor’s intuition, he can sit down with the script one side, a timeline in the middle, and a list showing the typical progress of a disease — or the specific progress of his character’s disease — and start plugging in ailments and details of deterioration.

He can practically choreograph this on the first day of working on the script. The rest is just filling out the form — not easy, but definitely predetermined, with little room for doubt and no mystery.

And this is all-important, because doubt and mystery usually torture actors through every stage of a performance. Knowing you can do something fifty different ways, but only one of them might be right — and you don’t know which one it is — plagues every decision that an actor makes. To find your way through that maze, by following some solid thread of truth and emotion — that is the miracle of acting.

Conversely, if all you have to do is follow a road map — and remember not to be able to move your leg in one scene and have trouble talking in the next — you have it comparatively easy. Yet pushovers in the Academy will reward you with an Oscar.

The good news, to the extent there’s good news, is this. These imitation performances, these illness performance, these famous people impersonation performances — they win Oscars, but they always lose history. Forget about fifty years later — ten years later, nobody cares.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I saw that; I was wondering if a film about a mathematician would have any mathematics in it.

I probably could have answered the question without seeing the movie. The Hawking movie didn't tell Hawking's work, just as the Turing movie did not tell Turing's work.

As for Yakima's point, it's a legitimate point that Ed-Red doesn't necessarily deserve an acting award for a performance that was basically an impersonation.

Nonetheless, since an impersonation was what the occasion called for, I would still give Ed-Red a round of applause just for so splendidly rising to the occasion, such as the occasion was.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:46 am

cheers

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:47 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:21 am

The Elton John Legacy Collection liner notes inform me there was a Tetsuo trilogy.

Tetsuo Episode I : The Iron Man

Tetsuo Episode II : The Body Hammer

Tetsuo Episode III : The Bullet Man

これは、その腸盗まれる妖精のためにある

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:38 am

I almost couldn't make it through the trailer.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:54 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 17, 2015 8:04 am

I think that I probably won't see the Yves Saint Laurent movie, because I have no sense of style and I don't think even Yves can help me. Neutral

[On the other hand, it's possible that pinhed garb might become the most stylish thing one day, and it's just my timing that's bad]

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 8:11 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Vampire Academy

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:03 am

It's possible for movie-makers to make lots of money off of dead people--but we don't need to help those greedy movie-makers: bounce

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top