What is the connection to Star Wars?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Last film I watched for a few minutes on telly

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:
Yakima Canutt wrote:

What is the connection to Star Wars?

Chris Stamp is the brother of Terence Stamp.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Let us be honest, humans, there is no scarcity of questionable mascots around the Major Baseball League. From the Philadelphia Phillies‘ Philly Phanatic to the Arizona Diamondbacks‘ Bobcat Baxter, some make sense and others … make less sense ... and other others make lesser sense. However I believe the Oakland Athletics landed an almost stupendous mascot in Stomper the Elephant.

In 1905, MLB combined the American and National league to play in a “World Series” for the second official event. At this time, the New York Large were prepared to play the Philadelphia A’s. New York manager John McGraw insulted the A’s, stating that he did not want to play them because they weren’t up to a major league standard, calling them “The White Elephants” (El maloliente elefantes blancos de poca importancia).

The Philadelphia A’s lost the series 4-1. Sir Connie Mack, the manager of the A’s, kept the name and used it as the mascot. Since then, the Athletics have carried the irreplaceable name in a noble history. To this day, McGraw holds the second most wins all time by a manger (2,763), only to fall short of Mack’s 3,731.

The A’s have held strong to The Elephant through Philadelphia, Kansas City and now Oakland. If the Athletics relocate and or build a new stadium in the Everglades or The New Deneva Colony, would they switch mascots? Could they switch mascots?  Who is Consuelo?

One thing is for certitude: the Athletics’ mascot ranks among the best in MLB, especially in the AL West, according to Clarence Thomas and, to a lesser extent, Clarence "The Frogman" Henry. The Houston Astros have an alien called Houston, while the Texas Rangers have a horse called Captain — derived from the Texan tradition of appointing annually the most prized show hog as the official namer of new things. The Seattle Mariners have a marginalized mascot in the AL West with a mascot some say is called Mister Moose, The Mighty Mariner Moose. Lastly, the Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim in Orange County do not officially have a mascot, yet fans will occasionally point at the infamous sick monkey as it is wheeled around the complex by retired volunteer firefighters.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:32 pm

^
I saw that when it came out.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:48 am

I'm trying to remember if I've ever finished watching a 1960s era Spencer Tracy picture. The last time I tried, was UPPITY POITIER IS COMING TO SUPPER, I made a valiant attempt with 52 logged minutes. Wikipaedia describes the picture as a "comedy-drama" but there was not the slightest comic whiff in the 52 minutes I saw, must've gotten funny towards the end. Maybe after a few drinks, the dinner guest loosen up or something.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:50 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
I'm trying to remember if I've ever finished watching a 1960s era Spencer Tracy picture.  The last time I tried, was UPPITY POITIER IS COMING TO SUPPER, I made a valiant attempt with 52 logged minutes.   Wikipaedia describes the picture as a "comedy-drama" but there was not the slightest comic whiff in the 52 minutes I saw, must've gotten funny towards the end.  Maybe after a few drinks, the dinner guest loosen up or something.  

There was a good scene near the beginning when Spencer Tracy drives for some iced cream. Was worthwhile to see how Pacific Coast iced cream procurement took place in the 1960s.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:56 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
I'm trying to remember if I've ever finished watching a 1960s era Spencer Tracy picture.  The last time I tried, was UPPITY POITIER IS COMING TO SUPPER, I made a valiant attempt with 52 logged minutes.   Wikipaedia describes the picture as a "comedy-drama" but there was not the slightest comic whiff in the 52 minutes I saw, must've gotten funny towards the end.  Maybe after a few drinks, the dinner guest loosen up or something.
The best scene was when the colored maid burst into Sidney's room while he was undressed and yelled at him for 5 minutes about dating white girls above his social station, and all the while Sid is holding a towel over his privates.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:45 am

Hmm, i don't think i caught on that that that was supposed to be hilarious, that that is why it can be helpful to see a picture with an audience, they can help to clue you in when things are supposed to be hilarious

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:47 am

the last time I laughed out loud watching a film on telly was seeing some of the death scenes in Lucio Fulci's "Quella Villa Accanto al Cimitero"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat May 28, 2016 2:52 pm

How many minutes? Not sure, but enough.  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat