The Most Popular Minnesota Snooze Banjo Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Most Popular Minnesota Snooze Banjo Topic

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:58 pm

OK, so what precisely is all the confucion about?  OK, so I am considering several sources materials ...

-the novel The Chronicles of Rob Dylan Episode I by Rob Dylan

-Spitfire Pictures & Sikelia Productions Present Mratin Scorsese's NO WAY HOME - The Story of Rob Dylan from Before He Started Doing the Kermit Voice and Phoning It All In

-The Collected Works of Minnesota Paul Nelson and Also A Demoralizing 160 page biography of Minnesota Paul Nelson, Who Ended Up Toothless and Hungry Working At a Video Cassette Rental Shop Before He Went On Existential Hunger Strike and Died and No One Noticed Until Neighbors Got Tired of the Bad Smells, written by a Trusted Friend

-Some account by Johnny B. Pancake, who was the Spirit Guide of 'The Burlap Slim Canyon Revival Report,' I don't remember exactly where this account was coming from, sorry

OK, so these sources give differing accounts of when Rob Dylan stole an arse-tonne of discs klassiko from some dudes, because Rob Dylan had a hebraic sense of entitlement and he thought he was The Big Cheese of The Mind's Stye who draws schemes along with some form of the dark prince ( yes, that one)

Butt sea, one source will say the "records" belonged to Johnny Pancake, one source will say they belonged to Minnesota Paul Nelson, and then, arghhh, another source will swear that the infamous fate platters belonged to both John Pancake AND Minnesota Paul Nelson! pig !

and this is not just some yawn-spawning, fanbot trivia duff- in our pantheon of Amrican History, the precise platter ownership turns out to be more than signifikant, for the following reeson : OK, I guess I won't explain that reeson now

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: The Most Popular Minnesota Snooze Banjo Topic

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

I skimmed around and read half or more of the book Remembering Paul Nelson of Mercury Records, Rolling Wenner Mag, and Well-Stocked Good-Taste NYC Video Rental Shop ... one thing for sure jumped out at me like a colt or a mustang, or one of the more jittery burgundy roans ... St. Olaf College Paul Nelson was buddies with dead songster Warren Zevon, and Paul Nelson of the North wrote about hangin with Warren Zevon and Crystal Zevon and then the harrowing times when Warren Zevon was really drinking too much alcohol and people were trying to get him to cool it down, because they liked him and he was way more talented than Bruce Browne, also he was funny, and his father was a professional gambler jew..but his mom was one of those uber-kooky Mormons

any how, Paul Nelson is a goodly writer in the "let's tone down the guff because we are fans of Back 2 Basics Boiled Cynical Detective Fiction" vein ... mas supremo contrasting to Lester Bang or Miukiael Gilmore or what have you ... except when Paul Nelson tries to emulate Lesten Bangs and does the thing where one writes the review just after one has just taken a melange of las drogas mas loco and one is listening to the record for the second time when one Bangs the type-writer with a talapoin monkey from Inner Gabon while one is sweating bullets

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Pancake definitely said the discs were his, but Nelson never said (I least I never heard him say it) that the records were his'n. bounce 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21 pm

At the very least, I think we have to be open to the possibility that some of Nelson's discs got mixed in with the Pancake Collection. Again, this isn't trivial, but is in fact somewhat pivotal.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Before I can turn my attention to the critical question, I have to absorb the shocking news that Paul Nelson is deceased--not only deceased, but deceased since 2006. Neutral 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 am

One source, who talks as if he knows what he's talking about--has this to say about that (which is not to say that Bob didn't rob Nelson as well):

"When Bob Dylan left Dinkytown, the Minneapolis neighborhood where he spent his one year at the University of Minnesota, for New York City’s Greenwich Village, he went with Jon Pankake’s blessing. He also went with some of Jon’s most precious records-which he stole right off the shelves and put in his duffel bag. When Jon discovered the theft of his records he became enraged at this hobo vagabond minstrel and vowed to track him down and recover them."

"Fast forward six months and Dylan was now sleeping on someone else’s couch-the Mayor of Greenwich Village. That would be Dave Van Ronk. Jon Pankake showed up at his door and when the purpose of his surprise visit became known, all hell broke loose. Pankake broke a bottle off at the neck and started swinging it over his head, aiming at the scruffy ne’er do well who had since become the talk of the town-based on his performances at Izzy Young’s Folklore Center and Gerdes Folk City, where he was now opening for the likes of Mississippi John Hurt and the new bluegrass sensation-the Greenbriar Boys. That didn’t mean squat to Jon Pankake-he came to get his records back."

"It was just at that precipitous moment for modern folk music history, ladies and gentlemen, that Dave Van Ronk showed up, diffused the situation and saved Bob Dylan’s life. Jon got his records back, and a chastened Bob Dylan went on to write Blowing In the Wind and Masters of War, for which I think Van Ronk deserves no small credit. The records Jon Pankake retrieved from Dylan’s duffel bag were the first Folkways recordings of The New Lost City Ramblers, which he rescued and took back to Dinkytown."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 am

^
That might be a tall tale Suspect --but the talker talks a good talk. 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 05, 2014 3:25 pm

The future would hold different things for John Pancake and Nelson ... John Pancake would leave The New Granite Riposte in acrimony following controversy over his proposed ongoing Exotic Pancake Recipes feature ... Nelson would smoke over one million Nat Sherman MCD cigar-ettes ... and, according to Mr. Dinkins, would have something to do with the scouting of Buster Poindexter's first major gigg:

Nelson's torturously slow unraveling, which ended at Evergreen Video on Carmine Street, would begin with Nelson's difficulties in the undertaking of a massive multi-volume project tentatively titled A Treatise on Neil Young ... ... a certain Hugh "Wavy Gravy" Romney theorized that Nelson was driven mad by the Young composition, "DANGER BIRD" ...

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:10 pm

In Bob's bio he asserted that Pankake was pretty harsh, considering that he couldn't play an instrument.

But Bob did not mention that Marcia Pancake was a member of the Brandy Snifters:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top