Ukraine--not a party, that's for sure.

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ukraine--not a party, that's for sure.

Post  u on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 am

Last edited by Bot Walker on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:04 am

Speaking of macho baritones and bassos, the traditional depiction of Khan Konchak in the opera "Prince Igor" looks like this:

But in a recent student production, Khan Konchak is more like Putin vs Vitali Klitchko (listen to the spectators giggling  ):

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 am

KONCHAK:
Are you well, Prince?
Why so pensive?
Well, do you want me to release you
And let you return to your own land, to your home?
Just give me your word
That you will never raise your sword against me
And that you will not stand in my way.

PRINCE IGOR:
I will tell you directly, concealing nothing:
Just give me my freedom,
I will once again gather my forces,
And I will strike at you again,
I will attempt once more
To drink the water of the Don from my helmet!

KONCHAK:
I like you!
You are brave
And not afraid of the truth.
I am the same myself!

Oh, if only
We were allies:
We would conquer all of Rus!
Like two panthers
We would prowl together,
We would feed together on the blood of our enemies,
And we would keep all in fear, bowing before us:
The slightest wrong move, and impale them on a stake,
Or off with their heads.

Isn’t it so?
Well, there’s no making deals with you!

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  u on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:59 am

Last edited by b on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 pm

I’m confused. A few weeks ago we were told in the West that people occupying government buildings in Ukraine was a very good thing. These people, we were told by our political leaders and elite media commentators, were ‘pro-democracy protestors’.

The US government warned the Ukrainian authorities against using force against these ’pro-democracy protestors’ even if, according to the pictures we saw, some of them were neo-Nazis who were throwing Molotov cocktails and other things at the police and smashing up statues and setting fire to buildings. Now, just a few weeks later, we’re told that people occupying government buildings in Ukraine are not ‘pro-democracy protestors’ but ’terrorists’ or ’militants’.

Why was the occupation of government buildings in Ukraine a very good thing in January, but it is a very bad thing in April? Why was the use of force by the authorities against protestors completely unacceptable in January, but acceptable now? I repeat: I’m confused. Can anyone help me?

The anti-government protestors in Ukraine during the winter received visits from several prominent Western politicians, including US Senator John McCain, and Victoria Nuland, from the US State Department, who handed out cookies. But there have been very large anti-government protests in many Western European countries in recent weeks, which have received no such support, either from such figures or from elite Western media commentators. Nor have protestors received free cookies from officials at the US State Department.

Surely if they were so keen on anti-government street protests in Europe, and regarded them as the truest form of ’democracy’, McCain and Nuland would also be showing solidarity with street protestors in Madrid, Rome, Athens and Paris? I’m confused.

Can anyone help me?

A few weeks ago I saw an interview with the US Secretary of State John Kerry who said, “You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” But I seem to recall the US doing just that on more than one occasion in the past 20 years or so. Have I misremembered the ’Iraq has WMDs claim’? Was I dreaming back in 2002 and early 2003 when politicians and neocon pundits came on TV every day to tell us plebs that we had to go to war with Iraq because of the threat posed by Saddam’s deadly arsenal? Why is having a democratic vote in Crimea on whether to rejoin Russia deemed worse than the brutal, murderous invasion of Iraq – an invasion which has led to the deaths of up to 1 million people? I’m confused.

Can anyone help me?

We were also told by very serious-looking Western politicians and media ’experts’ that the Crimea referendum wasn’t valid because it was held under “military occupation.” But I’ve just been watching coverage of elections in Afghanistan, held under military occupation, which have been hailed by leading western figures, such as NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen as a “historic moment for Afghanistan”and a great success for “democracy.” Why is the Crimean vote dismissed, but the Afghanistan vote celebrated? I’m confused. Can anyone help me?
Syria too is rather baffling. We were and are told that radical Islamic terror groups pose the greatest threat to our peace, security and our ’way of life’ in the West. That Al-Qaeda and other such groups need to be destroyed: that we needed to have a relentless ’War on Terror’ against them. Yet in Syria, our leaders have been siding with such radical groups in their war against a secular government which respects the rights of religious minorities, including Christians.

When the bombs of Al-Qaeda or their affiliates go off in Syria and innocent people are killed there is no condemnation from our leaders: their only condemnation has been of the secular Syrian government which is fighting radical Islamists and which our leaders and elite media commentators are desperate to have toppled. I’m confused.

Can anyone help me?

Then there’s gay rights. We are told that Russia is a very bad and backward country because it has passed a law against promoting homosexuality to minors. Yet our leaders who boycotted the Winter Olympics in Sochi because of this law visit Gulf states where homosexuals can be imprisoned or even executed, and warmly embrace the rulers there, making no mention of the issue of gay rights.

Surely the imprisonment or execution of gay people is far worse than a law which forbids promotion of homosexuality to minors? Why, if they are genuinely concerned about gay rights, do our leaders attack Russia and not countries that imprison or execute gay people? I’m confused.

Can anyone help me?

We are told in lots of newspaper articles that the Hungarian ultra-nationalist party Jobbik is very bad and that its rise is a cause of great concern, even though it is not even in the government, or likely to be. But neo-Nazis and ultra-nationalists do hold positions in the new government of Ukraine, which our leaders in the West enthusiastically support and neo-Nazis and the far-right played a key role in the overthrow of Ukraine’s democratically elected government in February, a ‘revolution’ cheered on by the West. Why are ultra-nationalists and far-right groups unacceptable in Hungary but very acceptable in Ukraine? I’m confused.

Can anyone help me?

We are told that Russia is an aggressive, imperialist power and that NATO’s concerns are about opposing the Russian ‘threat’. But I looked at the map the other day and while I could see lots of countries close to (and bordering) Russia that were members of NATO, the US-led military alliance whose members have bombed and attacked many countries in the last 15 years, I could not see any countries close to America that were part of a Russian-military alliance, or any Russian military bases or missiles situated in foreign countries bordering or close to the US. Yet Russia, we are told, is the ‘aggressive one’. I’m confused.

Can anyone help me?

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 am

On the day of the upcoming Ukrainian election, all of the Ukrainians I know will be visiting Washington DC, and won't get to vote.

Coincidence? Suspect 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Sat May 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Ballpoint Pen Parker Sonnet chiselled gold

Current bid: US $39.00 [ 1 bid ]

Item location: Kharkiv, UA, Ukraine

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 05, 2014 9:08 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 05, 2014 11:30 am

Putin probably wants to annex at least Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaporozhye and Kherson--but if he's on a roll at that point, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Mykolayiv and Odessa would round it out nicely. Neutral 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 05, 2014 11:50 am

Pooty has his own book club, just like Orpah Winfred.  He really expects all his most trusted adjutants & oligarchs to read the selections, and keeps a list of those suspected of skimming or fibbing.  I perused the offerings and some had titles like, translated as "Comprehensive Explanation of The Crimson Destiny of The Russian Soul" ... ... peeps make Pooty out to be so cold and cynical, but one can ascertain from his club picks that he surely is a dreamer ... this is a guy who can really make his mark, cuz he combines airy visions with methodical attention to detail and an iron memory

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 06, 2014 10:10 am

I believe that Putin is a dreamer--he dreams of the fabled exploits of the days long past, when Ilya Muromets and Alyosha Popovich mounted their noble steeds and rode across the fields, the fields of green, until they reached the mighty river and crossed it, and there did they meet and vanquish Svyatogor the gross and the fierce dragon, and they brought back the gold to their mothers, and won the hand of the fair Vasilisya Premudraya.  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 am

Vasilisa Premudraya:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 am

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 20, 2014 12:56 am

Ruslana says running in circles is not working.

"I am addressing this to all Ukrainians in the diaspora around the world!"

" ... we need to coordinate our actions in order to make them more substantial and more effective! 

Sometimes the process looks so that we are all doing something, but everyone is moving in their own direction. 

"I suggest immediate implementation of extensive promotions to publically put pressure on the world’s political leaders in regards to sanctions–real sanctions, and not fake! They can’t choose between money and the pressure of their businessmen, and human values and safety!"

"So, let’s begin to build a network of New Ukraine around the world for as many immense actions as possible!"

"Slava Ukraine!"

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu May 29, 2014 3:27 pm

From the "Did You Know" file:

Did you know that Donetsk, the great industrial center of Eastern Ukraine and hometown of Viktor Yanukovych, was founded by John Hughes from Merthyr Tydfil, where his father was head engineer at the Cyfarthfa Ironworks? Shocked

The original name of Donetsk was "Yuzovka" (as in Hughesovka).

The banner below says "Hughesovskaya Brewery."  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri May 30, 2014 4:18 pm

yes, knew.

In a sign of the humiliating times under "President" Obammer, NASA has to buy space tickets from Russia at $60 million a pop, to get our guys/gals to the International Moonbase etc. ... but all that could be changing with the arrival of the 7-passenger Dragon V2 Capsule by Musk's Brand SpaceX ...

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:45 pm

pinhedz wrote:Tetyana Chornovol ...

Her husband went to the Eastern regions as a volunteer--he's dead now:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 pm

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/hollywood-s-mickey-rourke-boasts-vladimir-putin-t-shirt-in-moscow/504905.html

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 am

The Russians have been publicizing this document from the Kuchma era, that says Tetiana Chornovol was diagnosed with hyperactivity syndrome and hints of schizoeffective disorder when she was a teenager, and that drugs and hospitalization were recommended.

The document is addressed to a 1st Lieutenant in the Ministry of Internal affairs. Suspect  It's probably really just a diagnosis of anti-authoritarian tendencies.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:34 pm

ITAR-TASS News Agency:

European party nominates Euromaidan activists for Sakharov Prize
September 10, 21:08 UTC+4

EPP vice chairman said that “Euromaidan has become a truly European voice for values, freedom and human rights and as such deserves the highest recognition of the European Parliament"

BRUSSELS, September 10. /ITAR-TASS/. The European People's Party (EPP) has nominated Ukraine's Euromaidan activists for the Sakharov human rights prize, the press-service of the EU's leading centre-right party said on Wednesday.

The nominees are Mustafa Nayem, Ruslana Lyzhychko, Yelizaveta Shchepetilnykova and Tatiana Chornovol, the party said.

Commenting the nomination, EPP vice chairman said that “Euromaidan has become a truly European voice for values, freedom and human rights and as such deserves the highest recognition of the European Parliament."

The Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought named after Soviet scientist and dissident Andrei Sakharov, was established in 1988 by the European Parliament to honor individuals or organisations who have dedicated their lives to the defence of human rights.

However, the EPP press-service could not answer an ITAR-TASS question whether the party excpected any completion of the investigation of sniper attacks in Kiev's central Maidan Square.

A major scandal broke out in Europe this spring after Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas Paet and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton discussed in a leaked phone call that the snipers could be hired by the opposition leaders, currently holding top government posts in Ukraine.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top