Invasion of the FAKE MEMOIRS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Invasion of the FAKE MEMOIRS

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Mingepaedia Blogging Guild

A number of fake memoirs in recent years have been published by renowned publishing houses and received critical acclaim only to be exposed as partial or complete fabrications. Five of the memoirs, Fragments: Memories of a Wartime Childhood (Binjamin Wilkomirski),The Blood Runs Like a River Through My Dreams (Nasdijj), Love and Consequences (Margaret Seltzer),The greatest, my own story (Muhammad Ali and Richard Durham) and Go Ask Alice (Anonymous) garnered praise from the New York Times prior to being exposed as mendacious.

Respected publishing concerns have been responsible for releasing many of the disputed accounts. Three memoirs, Love and Consequences (Margaret Seltzer), Angel at the Fence (Herman Rosenblat) and Odd Man Out (Matt McCarthy) were published (excepting Angel at the Fence, which had its release cancelled) by Penguin Group USA. Two memoirs, A Million Little Pieces (James Frey) and The Greatest: My Own Story (Muhammad Ali and Richard Durham) were published by Random House. And one, Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found (Jennifer Lauck) was published by Simon and Schuster.

As well, three of the mentioned authors, James Frey (A Million Little Pieces), Jennifer Lauck (Blackbird) and Herman Rosenblat (who was featured prior to writing Angel at the Fence), with the addition of an imposter assuming the name Anthony Godby Johnson (A Rock and a Hard Place), appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show. All eventually had their mendacity made public with Mr. Rosenblat suffering the cancellation of his book's release. James Frey, accompanied by his editor Nan Talese, was confronted by Oprah during a follow-up episode. The dust-up over falsified memoirs inspired Andrea Troy to pen her satiric novel, Daddy-An Absolutely Authentic Fake Memoir.

A number of recent fake memoirs fall into the category of "misery lit," where the authors claim to have overcome bereavement, abuse, addiction, poverty and other overwhelming losses. Several more have detailed fabricated stories of Holocaust survival, with at least one having been penned by an actual Holocaust victim.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Invasion of the FAKE MEMOIRS

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  e.g. on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:04 am

Bob is the singing...detective

(...can't wait to post these two clips again)

e.g.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 am

I had this Charles Burns book for years and I misread its title as HARD-BOILED DETECTIVE STORIES until one grey dey I realized its title really was HARD-BOILED DEFECTIVE STORIES.Laughing Laughing Laughing Neutral

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  e.g. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm

yeesus yuser, yesterday while I was considering changing myself here for The singing detective or The shrinking detective (had even designed the cover for the book! Rolling Eyes ) I thought of the movie titled Ferpect Crime and thought about calling myself The singing defective- like Bob, but you already know I guess not

e.g.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm

the lettering is pretty big for me to have misread the title for so long but what can i say, i've got badder fish to fish-fry.

It's about a Mexican wrestler named EL BORBAH who investigates CRIME

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:00 am

Out of those, I have only read 'A Million Little Pieces'. I remember liking it a lot. Can't say I give a shit whether it's all true or not.

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:55 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  yoder on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:14 pm

yoder

Back to top Go down

Post  yoder on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:52 am

yesterday I came across some post somewhere that read hard-boiled detective, not defective

that had a picture of a dressed big cat drowning

apparently the animals have human-noir like lives

yoder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 pm

The Hensel twins are real--you can't make this stuff up (or maybe you can, but you don't need to).  

Yakima Canutt wrote:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  yoder on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:18 am

A Mexican wrestler who investigates CRIME might not be an invention either  cyclops 

yoder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:06 am

pinhedz wrote:The Hensel twins are real--you can't make this stuff up (or maybe you can, but you don't need to). 
Their names are Abigail and Brittany.

Abigail says:

"The weirdest thing about us is that we're perfectly normal--but I am definitely more normal that Brit,"  

Having graduated from college in Minnesota, I believe their plan is to get a job(s) teaching. I assume their pupils will get some kind of advance counseling advising them that "Your teacher has two heads--try to act nonchalant." 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:16 am

two heads are better than fun, which reminds me, Patricia Highsmith once attended a London cocktail party with a gigantic handbag that contained a head of lettuce and dozens of snails

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Got this for $2.00 at a booksale/fundraiser.

It turns out that Otto is imaginary. Neutral

But I guess the $2.00 is going to a good cause. That's what they say. Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top