Look Back in Languor: Delugg on "Hoop-Dee-Doo" (takin' it to the streets)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Look Back in Languor: Delugg on "Hoop-Dee-Doo" (takin' it to the streets)

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 pm

There was an opening and they decided they could use an accordion player. In the thirties all the studios had staff orchestras and they had, user, staff song writers. At Paramount there was Frank Loesser, Hoagy Carmichael, Burton Lane, big time people. They would assign them pictures to write and you're scoring this picture. I became very friendly with Frank Loesser who was a dear man and one of the biggest talents that ever happened. He was a tremendous lyric writer and he was a little frustrated because he wanted to be words and music like Cole Porter. He needed, what you might call, a musical secretary. Because we were so friendly I turned out to be the guy. Incidentally, I wrote and played on King Records. Syd Nathan.

He wanted an accordion album and I had to write four instrumental songs. One was a polka and I called it Hoop Dee Doo. There was another Dizzy Fingers type of number called Rollercoaster and two more numbers I can't remember. I got lucky. I always said that luck beats the heck out of talent in our business. It really does, seven days a week, boy, if you're lucky. And I was lucky with those two songs. The polka I took to Frank Loesser and he liked it, so he did the lyrics. It was a number one song! All of a sudden I was a songwriter!

"Hoop Dee Doo! Hoop Dee Doo! I hear a polka and my troubles are through..." Now, about thirty bars later comes the end and Frank had a line, "Hand me down my soup and fish. I'm gonna get my wish! Hoop Dee Doin' it tonight." And I said, talking to the biggest lyricist in the country, "Frank, it's a pedestrian line." He said, "You got a better line than hand me down my soup and fish?" I thought I was very hip, so I had a line, "Check my hat and park my gum! California, here I come!" He very carefully and very slowly explained that I was a complete idiot.

All of a sudden you don't throw in a hip or funny line forty seconds after the song. If you haven't sold it by then, you weren't ever going to sell it. As much of a help as I was to him, he was a tremendous help to me. A number one song.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Look Back in Languor: Delugg on "Hoop-Dee-Doo" (takin' it to the streets)

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

I think you meant to post this in the "Lyrics too good to be by Bob" area.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:29 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top