The Everloving Roddenberry Bush

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Everloving Roddenberry Bush

Post  pinhedz on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 am

This is how rumors get started, and, in a larger sense, it's why people can't communicate. Mad 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  u on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:48 am

Last edited by Bot Walker on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Many of the points made there are meant to be humorous and or quibbling ( you can poke holes all day long in any fictional enterprise ) ... but some of the concerns raised are valid and have provoked scoffs in other quarters.  let us discuss-

Like a Star @ heaven the introduction of MAGICAL SUPERMAN KHAN BLOOD that brings you back from death is most probably a bridge too far, and would have momentous implications for civilizations in this timeline...

Like a Star @ heaven ...as would the appearance of PORTABLE TRANSWARP BEAMING DEVICES, which would seemingly make much of Starfleet irrelevant

it is hard to defend the MAGIC BLOOD, but as to the P.T.B.D. - I believe Orci has commented that they are intentionally introducing elements that make the known STrek multiverse go all topsy-turvy, you'll recall Old Spock Prime travelled back in time and introduced the P.T.B.D. in the 2009 film

... it was of course the meddling of Old Spock Prime and Crazed Romulan Nero which created this new bonkers timeline in which STID takes place

anyways, just some food for bot

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:18 am

But perhaps the best response to such gripes was made recently by RON D. MOORE, arguably the finest STrekisode writer of the Paramount era ( at least as far as compelling dramaturgy is concerned), and a gentleman among sharkbergs.

Ron said,

“I think [Strek's] home and its heart is really in television,” Moore said, when asked about Strek while promoting his latest project, Helix. “That’s really what STrek is – the core concept is really a TV show.”

Moore has nothing against Strek on the big screen though; he just believes that Strek would be better served on television. “I think the features are good and I admire what Jar Jar Abrams has done with the last two films; but the heart and soul of that franchise demands a return to television.”

“The kinds of stories that you’ll tell in the features space are not the kinds of stories that made that show so popular. The features all have to be action-oriented.

“They all have to have enormous stakes –the Earth or the Federation or the universe has to be in jeopardy – and the features always have to surround the Captain… and maybe one other character.

“The TV shows were often morality plays; they were more thematic; they were examining society in different ways. Sometimes the stakes were just one crew member’s life; sometimes the stakes were just one alien world or the Enterprise." [ and often the stakes were less, such as, should we really bother defibrillating these amoeba, or, can we let this Space Yeti borrow our replicator for a few minutes? or would the Emergency Medical Hologram be more useful as an opera star at the Alpha Centauri colony? - Yak C.]

“The TV show is really what STrek is to me. I think the features are great, but I think it has to return to TV if it’s going to remain an ongoing franchise.”

If STrek was to return to television, Moore would like to be part of it. “I’d love to do Strek again, in all honesty,” he said.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Correction - Old Spock goes back in time and gives Young Scott the equation for transwarp beaming, devised by Future Scott.  Later, Alternate Khan ( aka John Harrison) uses the equation as the basis for developing the Portable Transwarp Beaming Device, presumably under the aegis of Admiral Marcus.

Update- The Star Trek Into The Darkness will make its cable television debut on FX in 2015.

According to a report on Deadline, The Purge (Universal), Fast & Furious 6 (Universal), Man of Steel (Warner Bros.), This Is The End (Sony) and The Internship (Fox), Epic (Fox), Iron Man 3 (Paramount), Pain and Gain (Paramount), and Oblivion (Universal), in addition to J.J. Abrams’ latest Strek film installment, have also been acquired by FX for TV broadcast.

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm

This has to be made into a movie!

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:51 pm

I checked that book out from the library but then someone put a hold on it so I couldn't renew it so I only read a few pages of it.

Re: zombies and Strek, it's been pointed out that the Borg are very similar to zombies. Also there was an episode of 'Enterprise' that was about a ship of Vulcans that sort of got turned into zombies. Or maybe it was like a space zombie-vampire hybrid deal, I don't remember exactly.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  retrato hablado on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:16 pm

retrato hablado

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 am

well as Juan might've guessed, the Enterprise show has been roaring to the bluRay format, which means fresh batches of internet reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars, More Enterprise wanted:, January 12, 2014
By Shan Jeniah -

I need more than four seasons of this show! Brilliant writing, story arcs, acting. Might be the best Trek series of all.

3.0 out of 5 stars, The 'vulcan' character ruins the show for me, January 11, 2014
By Kimberly Connell -

I loved the concept of this series and it is funny to see the first use of the transporter and I love that a beagle is along on the voyage! But the vulcan female character is so annoying that I have a hard time watching the shows. Just the fact that she has the most ridiculously puffed up fake lips (and the other fake parts) that are such a distraction and you cannot help but cringe whenever she is onscreen her portrayal of a vulcan is smug, superior and angry. Really, really annoying ... no one has portrayed a vulcan as well as Leonard Nimoy but this character is extremely off puttiing. Too bad really, the other characters are ok and yet 4 episodes in I am done.

1 of 4 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, or just a bad idea?, January 11, 2014
By Tracy Baker (Omaha, NE, US) -

This could have been neat in the right hands, but from the ridiculously overwrought opening credits song you know the creators simply don't get it. Scott Bakula playing a tough, no-nonsense captain? The only worse choice would have been Corey Feldman, and the way this show was handled I'm guessing they tried to get him but failed.

This series is awful in every way. I'll put up with all the absurd plots you throw my way, but if you commit the cardinal sin of making your characters insufferable and/or boring, you've lost me. What a debacle.

Report abuse |

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 pm

2 of 14 people found the following review helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars the problem - Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, May 17, 2013
By
M. Lamoglia "Nostalgic Lamoglia" (Namibia)

This review is from: Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

For me to actually sit here and type a review can only mean one thing:
1) I absolutely LOVE something and want total strangers on the net to know, or
2) I HAVE to warn people about pending disaster, hate, evil, or if they are about to step into stinking doo-doo.

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Fri May 23, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  retrato hablado on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm

who is Juan? Is Juan Uwe? Who is Uwe?   

retrato hablado

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Uribe

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/movies/18schw.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Nettelbeck

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:48 am

T. Baker, Omaha wrote:Scott Bakula playing a tough, no-nonsense captain? The only worse choice would have been Corey Feldman, and the way this show was handled I'm guessing they tried to get him but failed.
Report abuse |

well it is looking like the joke is going to be on T. Baker of Omaha, because BAKULA has signed to star in an expansion of the CBS NCSI show, which is the biggest ratings bonanza in the world.  I'm still not exactly sure what NCSI is, I think it is about solving crimes and it has LL Cool J and Robin from BATMAN FOREVER, maybe the military is involved somehow, maybe they solve crimes for the military, also there are probably hacker characters who type on keyboards and make nerdy quips. Anyhow, BAKULA will be doing "NCSI New Orleans" and it is supposed to be a slambang corker.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:56 am

Yak C wrote:I'm still not exactly sure what NCSI is

It stands for "NORAD Crime Scene Investigation" which stands for "North American Aerospace Defense Command CSI"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am

Re: these attacks on the Enterprise show, isn't the truth really that the Voyager show is worse?

I'm not sure. Let's ask Robert Beltran, who plays Watergate Task-Force member Frank Sturgis, and also plays Commander Chocote.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:14 am

American Mexican from Bakersfield, Robert Beltran, aka Frank Sturgis, aka Space Commander Chocoltay

(Gripe #482) Robert Beltran on his scenes -
       "When you're given these throwaway scenes with not much thought put into who's saying it and its importance to the whole story - and I'm talking mostly about seasons five and six here - it just makes me feel like the writers don't care. Therefore the producers don't care, therefore the show isn't that important, therefore why am I busting my ass trying to make this stupid scene worth anything?"

(Gripe #543) Robert Beltran on his character -
       "Although they come up with a scene here or there that's tolerable, I think the character has not progressed since season four. In fact, he may even have regressed a little."

(Gripe #037) Robert Beltran on his character again -
       "I just felt let down, ignored and insulted. I think they did a grave disservice to what I thought could have been an interesting character."

(Gripe #667) Robert Beltran on the destruction of Kes in "Fury" that caused much fan outcry -
       "What they asked her to do with her character, I didn't understand. I think our writers aren't that far from brain damaged. I don't get them. But we were happy to have her. She's great. We love Jennifer. I wish she had never left the show; she's a really fine actress. But it was just the same old indication of our writers and producers having their head firmly up their collective ass. Sorry, kids. You see, this will all get back to them. That's why I'm saying it. That's fine. Maybe they'll let me go by the middle of the season. I'll be a regular on ER or something."

(Gripe #245) Robert Beltran on his scripts -
       "I wouldn't say I had a bitter taste about the show, but it makes me a lot less caring about the show when the writers don't seem to care about all the cast. When that happens, I check out right away and give as little as possible emotional involvement as I can. So I would have to say, honestly, that for probably the last two or two and a half years, I haven't quite read a full Voyager script. It's not necessary, because I already know what's going to happen. I don't want to put myself to the aggravation."

(Gripe #802) Robert Beltran on the series finale -
       "This is what we're going out with?"

(Gripe #769) Robert Beltran on the series finale again -
       "I was right, [the writers] are idiots. So I feel vindicated but unfortunately, you're going to have to sit through it."

(Gripe #798) Robert Beltran on the series finale again -
       "Frankly, I don’t think [the writers] really cared what happened at the end. Voyager has been the ugly step-child of the Star Trek family, and that’s the way we’ve been treated. We’re also the only show that’s had to carry a whole network [UPN]"

(Gripe #827) Robert Beltran on the series finale again -
       "[...] The ratings are down because it’s not being seen by as many people in the world who could see "ER". Then they took it out on us by saying 'This show’s no good. Let's get it over with as quickly as possible so we can fix it for the next one."

(Gripe #806) Robert Bealtran on the series finale again -
       "I was very disappointed. [...] From mid season onwards I kept waiting for them to start making a move towards wrapping up some of these story arcs, but they didn't.[...] [This] was meant to be about nine people on the ship, trying to get through some really extraordinary circumstances. Frankly, I'm not sure what it ended up being about."

(Gripe #812) Robert Beltran on the series finale again -
       "[They] had a whole year to prepare, but they waited until the final two episodes to fix things. To me, that’s just a symptom of their uncaring cavalier attitude towards the show."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Beltran recently did a Reddit Ask Me Anything Session.  So did Martha Stewart, she says she changes her bed sheets every day.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:
       (Gripe #482) Robert Beltran on his scenes -
       "When you're given these throwaway scenes with not much thought put into who's saying it and its importance to the whole story - and I'm talking mostly about seasons five and six here - it just makes me feel like the writers don't care.

Interesting Beltran singles out seasons 5 and 6, as those were the two with Brannon Braga as "showrunner" ... in his recent Reddit Session, Beltran again took a swipe -

"Jeri Ryan [ the 'sexy borg'] insisted on a kissing scene with me. It would've happened earlier but Brannon Braga only caved after she threatened to break up with him. She's a great kisser by the way."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Which begs the question- should Fred Freiberger be blamed for the lack of quality of The Original Series season 3?

He has been the scapegoat for the past 40-odd years, but that's really a little unfair. Just about all the writing staff from seasons 1-2 had moved on, and Roddenberry had pretty much abrogated his responsibilities to the show, not bothering to contribute substantially to the writing in season 3. So Freiberger and his story editor Arthur H. Singer had to take over the show from scratch without any guidance from their predecessors, any help in getting a handle on what the show was and how to approach it. That's not a great situation to be dropped into.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:04 am

more excerpts from the Beltran Reddit AMA Session -

[–]garnteller 309 points
What is your most interesting story of interacting with Trekkies/Trekkers?

[-] robertbeltran74[S] 684 points
One day I was met by a delegation of Trekkies at my front door and when I asked them what they were doing here, they reminded me I had said to them "I hope to see you again someday soon." They only understood what I meant after I ran to get my shotgun.

[–]N8theGr8 333 points
It's not every day one gets a chance to shoot a delegation of Trekkies.

[-]robertbeltran74[S] 392 points
True. Unfortunately, they were gone by the time I locked and loaded. There is always a chance this could happen again.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri May 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Blaster Jackson assembles some STID probs:

The underwater Enterprise: Watching the legendary starship rise up out of the sea in Into Darkness' opening sequence was certainly visually stunning, but many viewers also called it implausible, a claim backed up by a real-life engineer.

Magic blood: in addition to all the problems raised by Khan Magic Blood, it didn't make sense (at least not on the surface) that Spock had to get blood from Khan instead of from one of the other frozen 72 superhumans already on the Enterprise.

Where was the rest of Starfleet?: The central conflict of the film all takes place on two starships, both of which come crashing down to Earth during the climax. While it's true that Khan managed to cripple Starfleet with his attacks early on in the film, it seems strange that, as the Enterprise and the Vengeance are both barreling toward the planet, not a single other starship tried to step in to either save people on board the ships or try to steer them away from populated areas. It's the future. Shouldn't somebody notice when giant ships start falling from the sky?

Khan's plan: So, Khan wants to get revenge on Starfleet for what he's been made to do. No wait, he wants to do that while saving his people, who he's put in active torpedoes that he knows will be in the hands of a Starfleet Admiral who he just betrayed so that he could...You know what? It's probably better for all of us if we just stop thinking about this now. Headaches are no fun.

Jupiter: Marcus built his super-secret military shipyard on the other side of Jupiter. We've got the ability to see Jupiter pretty clearly right now. How easy do you think it is to spot something going on over there 300 years in the future?

Old Spock Prime breaks his own rule: Though he was determined to never reveal anything about his own timeline in an effort to let events in this universe transpire as they may, Leonard Nimoy's Spock sees fit to make an exception when his younger counterpart asks him about Khan. Why? Well, you can make moral arguments, but when you watch the film it really seems like the only reason he's there is to fill in non-Trekkies on why Khan is significant to the mythology (and to make a snappy cameo).

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri May 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Khan's plan is goofy, to be sure, but I think he was trying to smuggle out his 72 super-friends in the torpedos when he was discovered by Admiral Marcus. So I wouldn't consider this point to be a major boondoggle.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 26, 2014 6:43 am

No, the bigger gripe is with the plan of Admiral Marcus.  He wants Kirk to fire the supermen-filled torpedos at Khan on Kronos, thereby offing the lot of them ... but the risk seems high that the Enterprise crew would discover the supermen inside the torpedos, and furthermore, you might not use all 72 torpedos to kill one guy, in which case there would be leftover torpedos and thus lingering megalomaniacal supermen / superwomen.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:09 am

IT'S OFFICIAL

Star Trek 3 will be released in 2016, in time for the 50th jubilee.

The announcement by Paramount came at CineEurope Spain.

Other movies coming in 2016 include Paranormal Activity 5, Ben Hur: The Remake, Beverly Hills Cop: The Reboot, Transformers 5, GI Joe 3 and Hansel and Gretel 2.

Before then, Paramount 2015 movies will include The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water in 3D, Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Almanac Project Almanac, Birth of the Terminator Origins: Genesis, Friday the 13th in 4D, Impossible Mission Episode V, and The Gambler.  ( is this a remake of Irwin Winkler's Jimmy Caan flicker?  dunno)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top