The Everloving Roddenberry Bush

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Everloving Roddenberry Bush

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 am

Simon the Peggster addresses the controversy that is shaking USA to its warp core

Well, this has been interesting. What was initially intended as a moment of progressive affection has drawn comment and debate from the unlikeliest corners. What is heartening is that the vast majority of comments have never questioned the decision to include an LGBT character in Star Trek, just whether or not it should be existing characters or new ones. Those who have whined about the secret agenda of the liberal left, spreading ungodly perversions, through the evil mouthpiece of homosexual Hollywood, can go fuck themselves (apologies to serial masturbators if you find that offensive, we get so little support from the mainstream media).

The main thrust for those who aren’t keen on our LGBT Sulu, seems to come down to two things. Firstly, why Sulu? It’s a good point, I mean it could have been anybody: Kirk is a pansexual fun seeker; who knows why Bones got divorced? Nobody said Spock and Uhura were exclusive; Chekov is just permanently horny and let’s face it, there’s more to Scotty and Keenser than meets the eye. The fact is, we chose Sulu because of George, there was something sweet and poetic about it. Introducing a new gay character had its own set of problems, as I mentioned before, the sexuality of that character would have to be addressed immediately and pointedly and the new characters in Star Trek Beyond have enough on their plate, without stopping to give us the intimate details of their personal lives. We were concerned it might seem clumsy, tokenistic or worse, too little too late, raising an exasperated, “finally!” from those who’ve been waiting for representation for the last 50 years.

So why persist when George Takei wasn’t keen? The thinking behind embracing an existing character was that it felt as though it retroactively put right something that had long been wrong. By the time, we mentioned it to GT, the idea had taken shape, it felt good, interesting and worthy of thought and conversation. We were disappointed that George didn’t see it that way but, truth be told, Sulu Prime seemed to be missing a very important point. With galaxies of respect to the great man, this is not his Sulu. John Cho does not play a young George Takei, nor does he play the same character George Takei played in the original series. He is a different Sulu. This brings me to the second point of contention, Canon.

With the Kelvin timeline, we are not entirely beholden to existing canon, this is an alternate reality and, as such is full of new and alternate possibilities. “BUT WAIT!” I hear you brilliant and beautiful super Trekkies cry, “Canon tells us, Hikaru Sulu was born before the Kelvin incident, so how could his fundamental humanity be altered? Well, the explanation comes down to something very Star Treky; theoretical, quantum physics and the less than simple fact that time is not linear. Sure, we experience time as a contiguous series of cascading events but perception and reality aren’t always the same thing. Spock’s incursion from the Prime Universe created a multidimensional reality shift. The rift in space/time created an entirely new reality in all directions, top to bottom, from the Big Bang to the end of everything. As such this reality was, is and always will be subtly different from the Prime Universe. I don’t believe for one second that Gene Roddenberry wouldn’t have loved the idea of an alternate reality (Mirror, Mirror anyone?). This means, and this is absolutely key, the Kelvin universe can evolve and change in ways that don’t necessarily have to follow the Prime Universe at any point in history, before or after the events of Star Trek ‘09, it can mutate and subvert, it is a playground for the new and the progressive and I know in my heart, that Gene Roddenberry would be proud of us for keeping his ideals alive. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, this was his dream, that is our dream, it should be everybody’s.

Ultimately, if we love Star Trek, we are all on the same page, we all want Gene’s idea of a tolerant inclusive, diplomatic and loving Universe to become a reality. For those who have joined this debate in the spirit of discussion and forward momentum, it’s been a pleasure to see your reactions. For those who have seen it as an opportunity to sling abuse, or be rude and presumptuous, please take a long hard look in the mirror and remember we are discussing the personal details of a fictional spaceman. In the words of Martin Blank, who are you mad at? Because it’s not me.

I am so excited for you all to see Star Trek Beyond, whether you’re a 50 year veteran or this is your first time around. We made it with love and we made it for everyone.

LLAP

SP

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:20 am

but what are the limits of tolerance? how tolerant should we be of other cultures that practice traditional intolerance?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 am

Star Trek has explored that question often. I recall one time when Captain Picard had to grapple with how tolerant Federation personnel should be toward Klingons who want to kill themselves after experiencing dishonor.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:25 am

You mean they were being intolerant toward themselves?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:27 am

George W. Bush says "tolerance" doesn't go far enough. What you have to do, says George, is walk at least a kilometer in another's sneakers.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:28 am

I imagine virtual reality technology could go some ways in embiggening the kingdom of empathy.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:30 am

heoh, i was looking at a demo for a video game in which you play as a Syrian refugee, it seemed sorta tedious.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:49 am

BREAKING NOW - Justin Lin isn't really a "car person"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:30 pm

On holiday in Montana, George Takei extends olive branches to Lin, Cho, Pegg
Facebook Wednesday

Good morning from Montana! I’ve been here relaxing on vacation, but have noticed that many of you have been following the “gay Sulu” story and wanted to know why I’m being such a sourpuss. I’m writing to set the record “straight,” if you will.

When the news first broke, I gave a lengthy telephone interview, but the headlines have been misleading. Apparently, controversy makes for better sales! Let me be clear: I am not disappointed that there is a gay character in Star Trek. On the contrary, as I made clear, I am delighted that the Star Trek franchise has addressed this issue, which is truly one of diversity. It is thrilling to know that future generations will not see LGBTs go wholly unrepresented in the Trek universe.

On the specific question of Sulu being gay, when I was first approached with the concept, I responded that I hoped instead that Gene Roddenberry’s original characters and their backgrounds would be respected. How exciting it would be instead if a new hero might be created, whose story could be fleshed out from scratch, rather than reinvented. To me, this would have been even more impactful. While I understand that we are in an alternate timeline with the new Trek movies, for me it seemed less than necessary to tinker with an existing character in order to fulfill Gene’s hope of a truly diverse Trek universe. And while I am flattered that the character of Sulu apparently was selected as an homage to me, this was never about me or what I wanted. It was about being true to Gene’s vision and storytelling.

Gene had wanted long ago to include LGBT characters, and we spoke personally and specifically about the lack of them. Gene understandably felt constrained by the sensitivities of the time. Some fifty years ago, even TV’s first interracial kiss, between Kirk and Uhura, caused our ratings to plummet as the show was censored across much of the South for that scene. Gene made a conscious decision to make the main characters heterosexual, and worked within those parameters to tell incredible stories that still challenged many cultural values of the time. So the lack of gay characters was not some oversight by him; it was a conscious decision with which he grappled. I loved Gene as a friend, and I respected his decision and the context under which he created these stories. On this 50th year anniversary of Star Trek, my hope was to honor his foresight and bravery, as well as his ability to create discussion and diversity despite these constraints.

But Star Trek has always pushed the boundaries and opened new opportunities for actors, including myself. I am eternally grateful to have been part of this incredible and continuing family. I wish John Cho well in the role I once played, and congratulate Simon Pegg on his daring and groundbreaking storytelling. While I would have gone with the development of a new character in this instance, I do fully understand and appreciate what they are doing—as ever, boldly going where no one has gone before. Star Trek will live long and prosper.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:33 pm

well, just to be clear, Star Trek did depict lesbian Trill in the 1990s in what was national television's first alien lesbian kiss

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Krall's Not Quiet on the Western Front

Krall has a very valid philosophy and/or Krall is a nihilist.

Idris Elba is not a rapper.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:14 am

Jaylah ... you've got us on our knees

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:21 am

Pegg reveals the Pegg-Jung process:

"We were trying to create this very independent character. But we didn't have a name for it. So we just called it 'Jennifer-Lawrence-In-Winter's-Bone.' That's a long name. So it started getting tiring always saying, well Jennifer-Lawrence-In-Winter's-Bone is fighting here. So then we started calling her J-Law. And then she became Jaylah."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:12 am

Beyond expectations

The tagline for next year’s much-anticipated CBS All Access Star Trek television series – “New Crews. New Villains. New Heroes. New Worlds.” – applies perfectly to STAR TREK BEYOND, the latest in a thirty-seven-year run of big screen Trek adventures, which arrives in theaters on July 22.

Directed by self-confessed “Star Trek kid” Justin Lin, who takes on his first science fiction motion picture after building Universal’s Fast and Furious franchise to staggering success, BEYOND is an extremely satisfying deep-dive into five decades of Star Trek lore.

The film quite literally soars beyond expectations, giving fans a taste of modern-day, adrenaline-fueled, summertime fun mixed with the deep layers associated with sci-fi’s most cerebral franchise.

The pillars that have supported Star Trek’s longevity across five decades are on full display in STAR TREK BEYOND – from complex character motivations and reveals to strong continuity, the exploration and discovery at the core of the franchise’s best episodes and films is featured throughout the two-hour feature.

New Crews

Well, maybe not a new crew, exactly, but for the first time in the Kelvin Timeline, we find James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and the rest of the Enterprise officers entrenched in their five-year mission of exploration.

Beginning nine hundred and sixty-six days into their mission (a cute reference to the September ’66 television debut of the Original Series), STAR TREK BEYOND is equal parts exciting and routine for the original seven – and in just a few short scenes, we get to see a slice of Starfleet life portrayed with a depth never before showcased in a Star Trek motion picture.

Lin is well known for working with ensembles, and he exceeds all expectations in BEYOND by giving each Original Series crew member a critical role to play. Along with screenwriters Simon Pegg (pulling double-duty, also appearing as Scotty) and Doug Jung, the trio has placed our heroes in interesting combinations to not only raise the stakes, but dig deeper into their psyche.

We see Kirk mentoring Chekov (the late Anton Yelchin) extensively, hearkening back to original series episodes like “The Gamesters of Triskelion” and “The Apple,” and the film teams up Sulu (John Cho) and Uhura (Zoe Saldana) to face adversity together in dark, revealing ways.

In more than mere homage to the classic McCoy-Spock shenanigans from the Original Series, the paring of Bones (Karl Urban) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) – verbally sparring with each other in one film-stealing scene after another – is the heart and soul of BEYOND, providing a backbone for all of Kirk and Spock’s personal motivation.

The tragic loss of Anton Yelchin, who was sadly killed in June, is felt whenever he appears on screen interacting with his bridge mates – but thankfully, that twinge of sadness is often overshadowed by a role that ultimately is a celebration of the man and his craft.

While the entire ensemble continues to be a strength in these new Star Trek films, it is Pine who stands out in a way he hasn’t previously. Captain Kirk is in full hero mode throughout the movie: leading, cajoling, inspiring. His emotions run the gamut, but his internal crisis never approaches unsympathetic self-loathing.

Pine can thank Pegg and Jung for that – they have written a film that matches Lin’s frenetic direction and pacing with humor, action and reverence. While including poignant callbacks to “The Cage” and “The Wrath of Khan,” Pegg and Jung have enabled Pine, Quinto, and Urban to easily slip back into their original trinity roles by scrutinizing their core personality traits – with both heart and humor.

Callbacks to Trek’s past are layered throughout the prose and are too numerous to count – everything from names of obscure TOS redshirts to one particularly cheeky reference to the original crew’s adventures on Pollux IV – and if you’re a fan of the four-season Star Trek: Enterprise prequel series, you’ll definitely be pleased with the ingenious way that show has been infused throughout the film.

New Villains, New Heroes

Without giving too much away, it’s easy for us to tell you that Krall, played by multiple-Emmy Award nominee Idris Elba, is a villain for the ages.

Explaining the complexity of Krall’s backstory has been described by both Pegg and Jung as their biggest challenge in bringing this story to the screen. They are mostly successful, keeping heavy, exposition-laden dialogue to a minimum – just enough for audiences to connect the pieces – but understanding the full scope of just what he’s up to will likely take a second viewing for those not deeply versed in Trek lore… or some online research when you leave the theater.

Long-time fans of Star Trek, however, will be catching their breath once his mysterious motivations come into satisfying focus.

Elba’s performance is emphatic and unrelenting, and is matched only by his amazing makeup and creature design from Joel Harlow, who has created a number of remarkable aliens and makeups throughout the film. As part of the fifty-year celebration of Trek, the producers tasked themselves with creating 50 different alien makeups for the film, and many of them are showcased prominently.

At the top of that list are the sleek, cat-like black-and-white lines of Jaylah (Sofia Boutella), a mysterious alien who matches wits with Scotty and the rest of the crew in their battle with Krall.

If you’ve been following the film’s promotional path the last month and were worried that your expectations for Jaylah might be too high, you can rest easy: Jaylah is a character with purpose and very real emotional depth. None of her screen time is wasted as she seamlessly integrates herself into the crew dynamic.

In fact, so successful is her presence, that if and when development starts on a fourth film in the Kelvin Timeline, you’d be hard-pressed not to include her in some capacity moving forward.

New Worlds

The visual effects in STAR TREK BEYOND quite simply set a new standard for Star Trek films. Double Negative, the effects house responsible for the award-winning work seen in Interstellar and Ex Machina, has created a new world in the Yorktown space station that rivals anything ever seen on screen.

Its expansive environment is well thought out and practical – clearly designed to take advantage of every bit of living space inside an artificial gravity sphere in the middle of space. The concept is grand and the visuals are a match. It’s an amazing achievement.

Of course, the Yorktown station is more than just a shiny, pretty object to look at. The filmmakers have superbly made it feel like home, making it an essential catalyst to much of the film’s plot development, including the much-discussed personal revolutions for Cho’s Sulu – where the station is home to his family.

Care and detail have also been given to the Enterprise makeover, with some sleeker lines in the nacelles and a clever new warp bubble effect we glimpsed in the trailers. The effect is mesmerizing and sets a new standard when compared to the oft-repeated “stretched lights, flashing into the distance” effect – not that there’s anything wrong with that classic effect!

As he has done in the two previous incarnations of the Kelvin Timeline, master composer Michael Giacchino has infused the film with both the familiar and the foreign, creating a score that opens with a tonal nod to Alexander Courage’s original Star Trek theme, and only gets bigger and more majestic from there.

While his work on the previous films certainly hasn’t been overlooked, this third film score will likely be the one that garners the most attention (and is available for preorder now).

All that being said, Lin’s take on the Trek universe doesn’t breezily move past the dark tones that permeated STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS – as Krall has more than a few dark moments to match anything seen previously in Trek – but there is certainly a different feel to this incarnation.

Replacing the ubiquitous JJ Abrams’ lens flares are a number of new visual flourishes, including several uses of twisty, long-range camera movements layered between fast-paced cuts and quick camera pans that will rocket viewers around at warp speed.

In addition, Lin’s inclusion of some modern story-telling beats may not be to everyone’s liking – including the much-discussed use of a motorcycle in a pivotal action sequence – but the director’s style clearly jumps off the screen in critical ways… in both sound and fury.

At its heart, though, STAR TREK BEYOND is about the core relationships that have bound the crew of the Enterprise in tales spanning half a century.

The film integrates and honors the passing of Leonard Nimoy in a number of emotional scenes, while never ignoring the critical backstory laid out in the previous two films surrounding the destruction of Vulcan.

Nimoy’s loss is felt throughout the film. His absence resonates emotionally and powerfully, but is also celebrated in a tear-inducing scene that is more than worthy of this franchise benchmark.

In the simplest terms, the humor, action and pacing of this film will satisfy both summer movie aficionados and hardcore Trek purists alike. The film is epic and balanced, kinetic and thoughtful, and connects Trek across 50 years of continuity in ways that could never have been expected.

It’s an exceptionally worthy mic drop for Star Trek’s golden anniversary.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 am

prepare to be jammed

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:51 pm

SPOILER ALERT: stay far away from newest promo “Be Ready”

In what seems to be a marketing misstep, Paramount UK has posted a new promo that we feel reveals far too much about Star Trek Beyond’s villain Krall, it is titled “Be Ready”. We recommend everyone avoid this video. It is making the rounds, and people who noticed it when first posted, watched it, and now regret it. We will not be posting a link to it, however it is already out there on social media, so you’ve been warned!

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 am

PARAMOUNT PICTURES, SKYDANCE AND BAD ROBOT
ANNOUNCE A FOURTH “STAR TREK” FILM

CHRIS PINE AND CAST TO BE JOINED BY CHRIS HEMSWORTH, WHO RETURNS TO THE BLOCKBUSTER FRANCHISE AS GEORGE KIRK

HOLLYWOOD, CA (July 18, 2016) – Paramount Pictures, Skydance and Bad Robot today announced that the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise will return to the big screen for another voyage.

In the next installment of the epic space adventure, Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father.

Chris Hemsworth, who appeared in 2009’s “STAR TREK,” will return to the space saga as George Kirk to star alongside Pine.

The remaining cast is expected to return.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, practicing Mormons, will write the screenplay. J.J. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance will executive produce.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:12 am

Clerkenwell, London Borough of Islington

Idris Elba has gone beyond his fears of heights and garish street murals.

Clerkenwell took its name from the Clerks' Well in Farringdon Lane (clerken was the Middle English genitive plural of clerk, a variant of clerc, meaning literate person or clergyman). In the Middle Ages, the London Parish clerks performed annual mystery plays there, based on biblical themes. Part of the well remains visible, incorporated into a 1980s building called Well Court. It is visible through a window of that building on Farringdon Lane. Access to the well is managed by Islington Local History Centre and visits can be arranged by appointment.

The Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem had its English headquarters at the Priory of Clerkenwell. (The Blessed Gerard founded the Order to provide medical assistance during the crusades.) St John's Gate (built by Sir Thomas Docwra in 1504) survives in the rebuilt form of the Priory Gate. Its gateway, erected in 1504 in St John's Square, served various purposes after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. For example, it was the birthplace of the Gentleman's Magazine in 1731, and the scene of Dr Johnson's work in connection with that journal.

In modern times the gatehouse again became associated with the order and was in the early 20th century the headquarters of the St John Ambulance Association. An Early English crypt remains beneath the chapel of the order, which was otherwise mostly rebuilt in the 1950s after wartime bombing. The notorious deception of the "Cock Lane Ghost", in which Johnson took great interest, was perpetrated nearby.

Adjoining the priory was St Mary's nunnery of the Benedictine order, now entirely disappeared, and St James's Church, rebuilt in 1792 on the site of the original church which was partly of Norman provenance. The Charterhouse, near the boundary with the City of London, was originally a Carthusian monastery. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the Charterhouse became a private mansion and one owner, Thomas Sutton, subsequently left it with an endowment as a school and almshouse. The almhouse remains but the school relocated to Surrey and its part of the site is now a campus of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.

As it was a suburb beyond the confines of the London Wall, Clerkenwell was outside the jurisdiction of the somewhat puritanical City fathers. Consequently, "base tenements and houses of unlawful and disorderly resort" sprang up, with a "great number of dissolute, loose, and insolent people harboured in such and the like noisome and disorderly houses, as namely poor cottages, and habitations of beggars and people without trade, stables, inns, alehouses, taverns, garden-houses converted to dwellings, ordinaries, dicing houses, bowling alleys, and brothel houses".

During the Elizabethan era Clerkenwell contained a notorious brothel quarter. In Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 2, Falstaff complains about Shallow boasting of 'the wildness of his youth, and the feats he has done about Turnbull Street'. Known now as Turnmill Street and adjoining Farringdon station, it had an infamous reputation for brothel-keeping and was described in Sugden's Topographical Dictionary as 'the most disreputable street in London, a haunt of thieves and loose women'. The Clerkenwell Bridewell, a prison and correctional institute for prostitutes and vagrants, was known for savage punishment and endemic sexual corruption.

In the 17th century South Clerkenwell became a fashionable place of residence. Oliver Cromwell owned a house on Clerkenwell Close, just off the Green. Several aristocrats had houses there, most notably the Duke of Northumberland, as did people such as Erasmus Smith. Before Clerkenwell became a built-up area, it had a reputation as a resort a short walk out of the city, where Londoners could disport themselves at its spas, of which there were several, based on natural chalybeate springs, tea gardens and theatres. The present day Sadler's Wells has survived as heir to this tradition, after being rebuilt many times and many changes of use including pleasure gardens, theatre, aquatic display venue, circus, music hall. Today it is a leading theatre and modern dance venue.

Clerkenwell was also the location of three prisons: the Clerkenwell Bridewell, Coldbath Fields Prison (later Clerkenwell Gaol) and the New Prison, later the Clerkenwell House of Detention, notorious as the scene of the Clerkenwell Outrage in 1867, an attempted prison break by Fenians who killed many in the tenement houses on Corporation Row in trying to blow a hole in the prison wall. The House of Detention was demolished in 1890 but the extensive vaults and cells beneath, now known as the Clerkenwell Catacombs, remained. They were reopened as air-raid shelters during the Blitz, and for a few years were open as a minor tourist attraction. Various film scenes have been shot in the catacombs.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 am

FOURTH AND FINAL TRAILER REVEALS SEXY GREEN GIRL

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:13 am

Collector's Alert - Gallery 1988 has produced a series of poster variants that will be displayed at various chains for 3D Beyond screenings

note: little people are not to scale

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:32 am

Pre-order Beyond 4K today. Don't delay.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IS31NQK

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:03 am

JUSTIN LIN: My parents had their little fish and chips shop. It would close at 9:00, we had dinner at 10:00 and then Star Trek came on at 11:00 on Channel 13 in L.A. We had just immigrated to the states and at 8 years old, I didn’t understand what a rerun was. But that one hour a night became our routine for 10 years, until I was 18 and left for college. It’s where the fan fiction element started building in my head. I started thinking, what happens when they’re not working? Where does Sulu hang out, and do Bones and Spock even like each other? You start building a whole universe outside the screen, while you’re engaging with the characters onscreen. That was my level of engagement with Trek and the basis of my love for it. There were five of us, we’d just come here, I was learning how to speak English…

DEADLINE: Did you learn English by watching TV shows like Star Trek?

LIN: As much as by following sports and reading encyclopedias and absorbing everything at that age. But I had my family, and in Star Trek there was this group of people from varied backgrounds on these journeys. It was really powerful because my reality was the five of us, in this new place. Now, because of the friends and relationships I’ve built through my own film journeys, my 7 year old has uncles and aunts who aren’t my blood. He’s got Uncle Vin [Diesel] and people like that and that is his life. All of my definitions of family were heavily influenced by my Star Trek experience.

DEADLINE: Why did your parents connect so strongly with Star Trek?

LIN: We had a pretty good life, growing up in Taiwan, and I think my dad really made a concerted effort to say hey, we’re going to take a chance and go halfway around the world so that my kids can have more opportunities. He was a pilot; he did all these things there. Growing up, I felt there was nothing my dad couldn’t do, but didn’t get the chance to do when we moved. I think he latched on to Trek because of the sense of exploration and discovery, and hope. I think that’s what he connected to.

DEADLINE: So when he came here, this pilot who was grounded in a fish and chips store, he got to vicariously be the explorer through William Shatner’s Captain Kirk?

LIN: It was more that we were just a working-class family, and he’d done so much when he was young and then basically said he had to settle down for us. So he just worked his ass off, all day. And then, every night he was able to keep exploring, his sense of discovery fueled by that show.

DEADLINE: When JJ Abrams stepped away from this film to reboot Star Wars and called you, how much of your personal connection to Star Trek made him connect with your vision for this film?

LIN: If you talk to JJ you’d probably get a better answer. But he called me on a Thursday and asked me to think about it and sit down the following Monday. I told my parents and drove over to have dinner with them that weekend. Just talking with them, I realized how much of this decision would be personal and emotional. I also knew that there was all this pressure, that this was going to be a logistical nightmare. This film went from a new idea to production in six months. That’s never really been done before on a film of this scale. That was definitely in my head. I also understood it was necessary because the 50-year anniversary for such a celebrated franchise was important. Even though all this was in my head, the family passion made it something I just couldn’t resist. I felt like it was almost like a rescue mission in a way and I felt like I could go in there and do it. You have to separate the commerce from the art form with these movies, separate yourself as a filmmaker from all the things people are saying, and focus on what is important. In those conversations where people were saying the movie should be more like this, or more like that, my appreciation for the uniqueness of Star Trek grew. It’s the only property in the history of cinema that’s thrived in TV, and then features. I thought that instead of trying to make this movie something else, we should double down on what Star Trek is. It has to be equally compelling, whether it’s two characters in a room talking, or a giant space battle. That’s what‘s so cool about Star Trek. For me, it became about embracing all the essence in all these great characters while recognizing the mission statement mandate has to be about being bold and exploring and discovery.

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/justin-lin-star-trek-beyond/

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Congratulations to Paramount, Bad Robot, and Skydance for delivering the most acclaimed blockbuster of the summer season

Star Trek Beyond: Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes website, a whopping 90% approval rating

"'Star Trek Beyond' Is the blockbuster America needs right now ... a paean to unity, teamwork, and the best qualities of humanity."
-David Sims, The Atlantic

"A proud addition to a canon that even the ghost of creator Gene Roddenberry would appreciate ... it gets there at warp speed, and with a full tank of fresh ideas."
-Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post

"What a load of fun."
-Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun-Times

"This movie isn’t just fun; it’s sincere and sweet and downright inspiring."
-Matt Singer, Screen Crush

"'Star Trek Beyond' is much more than a mere refresh. Thanks to Lin's steady directorial hand and knack for visualizing improbable set-pieces, the new film is bold, breathless and propulsive, a distillation of the action movie to its purest elements."
-Barry Hertz, Toronto Globe & Mail

"While this is not your father's 'Star Trek,' it still feels like a fan's - and just the kind of warm, inclusive, feel-good entertainment this summer needs."
-Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

"The script injects a welcome strain of humor that's true to the original Gene Roddenberry creation, delivering nostalgia without stiff veneration."
-David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter

"Lin keeps this tense adventure ... from stumbling over its own excess: he knows that any good 'Star Trek' needs wit as well as spectacle."
-Stephanie Zacharek, Time

"One of the abiding pleasures of 'Star Trek,' in its old and newer iterations, lies in its balance of stubborn consistency and canny inventiveness."
-A.O. Scott, New York Times

"Not since the original crew stepped down have we felt such a vivid sense of adventure and comradeship ... This is all fun all the time, a dizzying carnival of wisecracks, fisticuffs, explosions, chases and truly eye-popping effects."
-Tom Huddleston, Time Out London

"That very fidelity to the show’s original values that will keep fans trekking to the box office."
-Dana Stevens, Slate

“Scriptwriters Simon Pegg and Doug Jung made a clever plot move that gives 'Beyond' the most breathing room for its characters in years.”
-Jim Slotek, Toronto Sun

"There’s a wonderful shot of Captain James T. Kirk (Chris Pine), safe in his ejection pod, gazing through the windshield at the flaming corpse of his beloved ship, which plunges down toward the crags of an unwelcoming planet. Even agnostics, unmoved by the remorseless reboots of the 'Star Trek' franchise, may find themselves mourning the loss ... Such is the surprise that is sprung by the latest film: it’s not just a blast but, at moments, a thing of beauty, alive to the comic awesomeness of being lost in space."
-Anthony Lane, The New Yorker

"What's most notable about the new film is how closely it hews to Gene Roddenberry's original TV series, at least in spirit."
-Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic

"It might even feel like you're back in your rec room, circa 1967, drinking Tang and waiting for the Tribbles!"
-Ty Burr, Boston Globe

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:32 am

THEY'RE BAAAAAAACK
Sisko, Janeway, and Archer return to strip syndication after long hiatus

Starting Sunday July 24 at 8 PM ET, all five live-action Star Trek series will air on Heroes & Icons TV network. (H&I - 1137/137 nationwide on AT&T, check listings for other providers)

“Heroes & Icons will broadcast all five series, beginning with the first episode of each one, all on one network, for the first time in the history of the franchise.”

“if there is one television franchise that fits the Heroes & Icons brand best, it is the five legendary Star Trek series that will be airing together for the first time in our All Star Trek programming block,” said Neal Sabin, Vice Chairman of Weigel Broadcasting Co. “The captains and crews of each series define the term heroic, and over time, each one of them has become truly iconic.”

The shows will air six nights a week.

SUNDAYS starting at 8PET | 5PPT & WEEKNIGHTS starting at 6PET | 3PPT

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top