Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  eddie on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 am

pinhedz wrote:I see there are now three glowing reviews.

Five, now. Smile

Thanks to all UK-based ATUheads who bought "The Well of Shadows: Underground London" on Amazon Kindle. x

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:23 am

What a time to lose my credit card. Mad

MasterCard says I'll have the new one in less than a week.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:03 pm

pinhedz wrote:I have to decide the best time and place to plant my angry indignant review bounce (of course some of you'all will have to be ready to argue with me when I do ).

I'm uncertain about your cunning plan, Pinz. Too many things could go wrong. Main problem is that if nobody argues with you (and why should they?) all we're left with is a bad review! pale

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:57 am

I was thinking the same thing--what if no one comes to your defense? What if they're all fair weather friends? Neutral

But of course, the rating would still be a 5. What a Face

The cunning plan (which might in fact be too cunning) is that none of the negative points made by the reviewer (who's a bit of a prig--and American, too) are actually negatives. Everybody will catch on to that, right? Very Happy Or not. Crying or Very sad

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:20 am

pinhedz wrote:But of course, the rating would still be a 5. What a Face

I'm not at all sure it would. If stars are awarded on the basis of averages, wouldn't a negative review lower the rating? pig

Unless you mean YOUR rating would still be a 5...but how would that square with a negative review? What a Face

It's all too subtle for me.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:55 pm

eddie wrote:Unless you mean YOUR rating would still be a 5...but how would that square with a negative review? What a Face
It would still be a 5, square or not.

But I think I might be getting a different idea now--maybe even more subtle and pinheded. Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:52 pm

eddie...are you online? We got in last night. Took 5 days to steam home through the most appalling weather imaginable...but I can pay for my daughter's wedding dress now Very Happy and on friday I'm doing another delivery to Port moresby, and that's going to pay for a new computer...how's everything going?

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Moony! cheers cheers cheers

I'm glad to see you're still alive
You're looking like a saint

Glad to hear the pirate expedition was prosperous.

"The Well of Shadows: Underground London" has been published on Amazon Kindle UK since your last visit here, but, as Pinz wisely anticipated, publishing the bloody thing is only half the story; there follows the small problem of actually marketing it.

So I've been adapting to hitherto unfamiliar technology like Twitter @edoregan to spread the good word.

I think that's me done with Literature for the time being; I've started sending out job applications. But...just in case nothing turns up...I also bought myself some spiral notebooks today in case I feel like starting the new all-fiction opus. Stationery is important in these things....

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm still a little dazed from the adventure on the high seas eddie. it's going to take me awhile to be lucid. And the delivery trip is looming...didn't realise it was going to happen so soon.

Shocked

I've thought a lot at sea about a joint-venture re the literary thing but it would take more brain cells to outline than I currently have.

Talk soon x

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:40 pm

blue moon wrote:Talk soon x

OK. x

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 pm

pinhedz wrote:But I think I might be getting a different idea now--maybe even more subtle and pinheded. Suspect

scratch study

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Ha ha, I don't believe it. "The Well of Shadows" has just garnered a 5-star review on the Amazon Kindle book page from a certain T.H. Lloyd, author of "The English Wool Trade in the Middle Ages". There's glory for you! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 pm

^

Well, at least T.H. was nice about it:

Fantastic, 12 Jun 2013
By
t.h.lloyd - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)

This review is from: The Well of Shadows: Underground London (Kindle Edition)
A beautifully written, captivating memoir. Sometimes dark, sometimes funny, always engaging and erudite. It was a real joy to read, and hopefully the first of many from Ed O'Regan.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 pm

^

Seems I can relax. It's not the same TH Lloyd, but a completely different- and unrelated in every way- TH Lloyd. I find this strangely disappointing. The book-reviewing TH Lloyd turns out to be someraven from ER.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 am

I just got my Kindle all set up and my Amazon.co.uk account all updated, and still got the no-go message. Mad

I still left a review (not the one you saw before) though.  It will be interesting to see if a review from colonies makes it to press.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:37 am

Looks like pinhedz review made the cut--but somebody put a typo into it. Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm

pinhedz wrote:I just got my Kindle all set up and my Amazon.co.uk account all updated, and still got the no-go message. Mad

I still left a review (not the one you saw before) though.  It will be interesting to see if a review from colonies makes it to press.

It's as I feared, Pinz: UK availability only for the time being, necessitated by the substantial copyright costs involved in using certain quotations & images worldwide.

Thank you for your review. Rather curiously, the Amazon Kindle UK site won't let you buy the book, but it will allow you to review it! Go figure. The review itself might put the cat amongst the pigeons, typo notwithstanding.

Nine 5-star reviews thus far, but sales remain sluggish. How "word of mouth" is generated is a mystery, like the change of the seasons or the tides of the sea....

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:50 am

I just noticed the book got a heckuva a review from a certain Derek W. Fulker, who seems to be originally from the UK but now rides the MBTA in Boston.

Somehow he got the book in Boston. scratch Maybe he knows about a side door into Amazon UK. Cool 

Mr. Fulker, are you one of us?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Some time before Xmas, all being well, you ought to be able to order a 'real' printed paperback copy of "The Well of Shadows: Underground London" from a print-on-demand online publishing company. They're working on it now. I'll publish the details here when everything is set up and ready to roll.

Meanwhile, UK residents can still order an Amazon Kindle copy of "The Well of Shadows: Underground London" from http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Well-Shadows-Underground-ebook/dp/B00CPRIEU4

There's no doubt that the internet has changed the face of contemporary publishing, perhaps forever.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 am

Most years everyone on my Christmas list gets a copy of my latest CD. Very Happy 

But this year I didn't produce a CD.

What's the solution? scratch

Idea Idea Idea  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:29 pm

i was reading the reviews of the tube-book on the website, it sortof reminds me of this hippie-dippie friend i had from high school who decided to join the Marine Corps based on interpretations of Nordic Rune flippings, it didnt work out that great for him, he was caught distributing cocaine on base in 29 Palms i think, but somehow avoided dishonorable discharge and just got a regular discharge. now he is a Holistic Masseuse in Austin Texas and he has a small bastard son, and his philosophy with the son is to basically give him zero parental guidance whatsoever, it is some kind of zen parenting or whatnot, meh

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:21 pm

user wrote:i was reading the reviews of the tube-book on the website, it sortof reminds me of this hippie-dippie friend i had from high school who decided to join the Marine Corps based on interpretations of Nordic Rune flippings, it didnt work out that great for him
lol! Good to know that I've got a future in holistic massage.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:17 pm

he was an odd fellow, he would make absurd choices, but then really follow thru with them, like a good-natured Alf Jarry or whatnot... after the marines he joined the oriental Falun Gong cult for a spell, and i dont think he really believed in the tenets of the cult.

did O'Reagan believe in some kind of metaphysical integrity of the i ching in determining occupation, or was it more the idea that a coin flip is as good as anything else, a la Two-Face/Harvey Dent

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:29 pm

user wrote:did O'Reagan believe in some kind of metaphysical integrity of the i ching in determining occupation, or was it more the idea that a coin flip is as good as anything else
I think it was a combination of desperation, superstition and Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead". And maybe a touch of having nothing & therefore nothing to lose.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:02 pm

The superstition component came as a surprise to the pinhed, but it probably should not have, considering that O'Regan might have at least some overlap with a Celtish gene pool.  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top