View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AWESOME NEWS!

Post  blue moon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Shocked

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm

I've thrown towels over it. Inadequate response but not much else I can do. I'm not going out in the storm to dig ditches...it's dark out there and a bit scary.

That was a prize-winning response, by the way Very Happy

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Well, the television satellite reception buggered off a few hours ago. The electricity usually goes off within a few hours of that. I'm going to find the torch and candles and have a cup of tea while I can still boil the jug.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 am

Sounds stressful. Is it a common occurrence?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 am

(nods head wryly) It's the Wet, pinz. When I was a young girl in the heart of the dry country I read 'The Rains of Ranchipur' and seriously, I couldn't imagine it. But I can now!
I used to worry through the Wet season when the girls were young and living with me. Now I don't.
Most of the land for hundreds of miles around is little more than flood-plains...light covering of dust over grey clay. Can't drain away when the rain's prolonged and heavy.

It's never come into the house though. The image of Noah's ark on your climate-change thread keeps springing to mind. Very Happy

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 am

...and I know where there's a shitload of boats Wink

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 am

just gotta say, after your long search, I think you have finally found the perfect avatar. Very Happy

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:12 am

GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS:

MADRID — A year ago, Cecilia Gimenez’s botched attempt to restore a fresco of Christ inspired ridicule. Now, the 81-year-old Spanish artist is having the last laugh.

Since gaining worldwide attention, the disfigured fresco has drawn more than 40,000 visitors and raised more than $66,000 for a local charity in the town of Borja.

The art has also prompted the town to put the likeness on merchandise. And Gimenez has even had her own art exhibit, with two dozen of her other works showing through Aug. 24 in the town of 5,000.

Gimenez and a local council are set to sign a deal next week that splits profits from merchandise featuring the image, with the artist getting 49 percent, said councilor Juan Maria Ojeda.

The turnaround is apparently quite the relief for Gimenez, a retiree who was overwhelmed by the attention a year ago.

“Now it seems like everyone’s happy,” local paper Heraldo de Aragon quoted the once-media-shy Gimenez as saying in Sunday’s edition. “I’m grateful that things have quieted down.”

The fresco originally depicted Christ wearing a crown of thorns in a style known as “Ecce Homo” (“Behold the Man”). The church painting was for decades a little-known piece of religious art by a minor Spanish artist. It had remained in peaceful obscurity in the Misericordia sanctuary since it was painted in 1930.

That was until Gimenez, a longtime devotee of the work, decided that it needed some attention because damp church air. was causing it to flake. Her attempt didn’t go so well, and some dubbed Gimenez’s retouching of it “Ecce Mono” (“Behold the Monkey”).
But the retouched version grew popular. The image started appearing — without authorization — on T-shirts and cellphone covers, coffee mugs and wine labels. People arrived in Borja asking to see the painting.

The council started charging an entrance fee of $1.30 and giving the money to the Sancti Spiritus charitable foundation, which used the windfall to help pay bills at a care home for elderly people. The council also got lawyers to establish copyright and draw up a merchandising agreement, which will see the image put on plates, postcards and cigarette lighters, among other items.

“It’s a timely agreement,” Ojeda, the councilor, said by phone from Borja. “The money is going to good causes.”

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  glue moon on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 am

^ the priest has been arrested hahaha

glue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Old Mack