Tempest

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tempest

Post  pinhedz on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:08 am

I should have noted one more intertexuality--the lover in "Tin Angel" is not Blackjack or Gypsy Davey, but Henry Lee, no less, who was killed by his lover in another song (also recorded by Bob in the 1990s):

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Befor Carbondale was callled Carbondale, it was calledd Ragged Island, then it wass caled Barrendale before it was caalled Carbondale

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  felix on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 pm

user wrote:Befor Carbondale was callled Carbondale, it was calledd Ragged Island, then it wass caled Barrendale before it was caalled Carbondale

Why? Jus wonderin ... rendeer

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:48 pm

"Lake Wobegon" Minnesota was originally named "New Albion." Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:03 am

I find 'Tempest' a little underwhelming to be honest. There is some nice songs but there are a few I can happily never hear again, which is a shame.

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:40 am

I had low expectations, so it came out better than I expected.

Which are the songs you never want to hear again? The long ones?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 am

pinhedz wrote:I had low expectations, so it came out better than I expected.

Which are the songs you never want to hear again? The long ones?

Narrow Way is the kind of pedestrian dullard that has become standard for a Dylan album. Early Roman Kings is pretty dull. Scarlet Town is OK I guess, but just strikes me as a poor man's Ain't Talkin. I've listened to the album quite a few times now, but still can't remember Tin Angel. Nonetheless, I enjoy Long and Wasted Years, Roll on John and Tempest. Can happily listen to Duquesne Whistle and Soon After Midnight, although they aren't remarkable. Which leaves Pay in Blood, not really sure what to make of that one. It sounds like 80s Dylan, which isn't a good thing, but at least it's different. I remain open to liking that song. I like his vocals on this album, but Christ, they are shockingly awful on Pay in Blood - in a fun way maybe....

Have you got any favourites?

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 am

"Duquesne Whistle" is nice and bouncy, but now that I've heard it 3 times, that's probably enough.

"Soon After Midnight" is nondescript enough that I can't recall what it sounds like.

"Scarlet Town," "Tin Angel" and "Tempest" all recall the "Anthology of Folk Music," and I like them for that, but I like Tin Angel best, for the unexpected plot twists. The others are pleasant in the background, but I don't really listen.

"Narrow Way" and "Early Roman Kings" are both just new lyrics set to classic blues riffs. For some reason, I kind of like "Narrow Way" and actively dislike "Early Roman kings."

"Long and Wasted years" -- I like the guitar, the voice not so much.

The "Pay in Blood" melody sounds like it could have been a motown tune, but the production is if anything anti-motown (that actually makes it kind of interesting).

"Roll on John" I guess I kind of like, but when he talks about what "they" did to John Lennon, I wonder who he means by "they."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:09 am

Another thing about "Tempest" that catches my attention--he sings the first line of each verse sounding exactly like Tom Waits.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:20 am

"Roll on John" might be growing on me.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  nombre de otro on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 am

Lee Van Queef wrote:I like his vocals on this album, but Christ, they are shockingly awful on Pay in Blood - in a fun way maybe....
I agree. It was Pay in Blood the one that shocked me for the vocals. And then I read some people said it was the best vocals in the album... scratch But there are nice vocals on other tracks in the album. Like in Narrow Way - which I also agree is the same song that says nothing (Early Roman Kings is awful for me). Roll on John has my favorite vocals on the album (do you like them, pinhedz?). I like Long and Wasted years because it is simple, repetitive and short and it works well like that. Duquesne Whistle is nice

But I've only listened to the album the first few days after I got it. My interest dropped soon, maybe because I'm not in the mood. But I'll be listening to it some other time.

nombre de otro

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 am

pinhedz wrote:Another thing about "Tempest" that catches my attention--he sings the first line of each verse sounding exactly like Tom Waits.

One of the first remarks I posted to Twitter about "Tempest" was: Dylan is becoming more & more like Tom Waits for me - I love it in theory, but my ears aren't quiet so fond of it. bounce

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 am

As for the song 'Tempest': isn't there a law in fysics saying that anybody who keeps up a waltz for longer than 3:45 makes a fool out of himself?
It made me cringe to be frank.

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:06 am

Andy wrote:As for the song 'Tempest': isn't there a law in fysics saying that anybody who keeps up a waltz for longer than 3:45 makes a fool out of himself?
It made me cringe to be frank.
Has Bob ever been afraid to make a fool of himself?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm

random ego of otro nombre wrote: Roll on John has my favorite vocals on the album (do you like them, pinhedz?).
I think "Roll on John" is the most successful song on the album in many respects.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 am

I like the album, it's growing on me. I think Bob sounds good too.

The Titanic one is my fave, what's it called?

Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:I like the album, it's growing on me. I think Bob sounds good too.
When I first listen to it I thought...well it's OK, alot better than TTL.

After numerous rotations it has really grown on me BUT half the time I think... Dam, I wish this was in his BOTT voice.

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Old Mack wrote:
Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:I like the album, it's growing on me. I think Bob sounds good too.
When I first listen to it I thought...well it's OK, alot better than TTL.

After numerous rotations it has really grown on me BUT half the time I think... Dam, I wish this was in his BOTT voice.

I was listening to it again last night, I think the tunes suit old Bob's voice. BOTT voice was good too, but different. Nashville voice different again. I think that's the appeal of Bob that his voice alters over the decades.

Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

UPDATE: WHAT A AWESOME ALBUM...IT'S UP THERE WITH BOBBYS SECOND LAYER OF HIS BEST !

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:22 am

Last edited by rotfl on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:47 am

Last edited by woo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm

The link to "Tempest" here seems a bit strained, but I guess there's nothing we can do about it.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top