Reconsidering ERSKINE MAY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reconsidering ERSKINE MAY

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:20 am

Erskine must be a good example of the way in which an historian may fall into error through an excess of brilliance. His capacity for synthesis, and his ability to dovetail the various parts of the evidence carried him into a more profound and complicated elaboration of error than some of his more pedestrian predecessors. He inserted a doctrinal element into his history which, granted his original aberrations, was calculated to project the lines of his error, carrying his work still further from centrality or truth. I mean, I'm not aiming to be uncharitable but what the fuck...
Rolling Eyes

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Reconsidering ERSKINE MAY

Post  pinhedz on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 am

He's not even unique. Too many other historians do exactly the same thing, thinking it makes them superior to historians that just try to tell the straight truth. They think that BS is their "value added." Rolling Eyes

I don't want to be charitable--the pompous twits. Mad

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 am

racist rupert wrote:They think that BS is their "value added." Rolling Eyes

The flimflam in the Humanitays and Soc Sciences started to become toxic as Ohira in the 1970s when French "Post-Structuralistmammerjammer" "theory" became fashionable.

Now, the kind of thing that E.O. Wilson proposed way back when- unifying various discrete fields to attain baller status, i.e. incorporating microbiology and quantum mechanics into a study of history, this has to be attempted... or else The Others already have won ...

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum