More Falklands veterans have commited suicide since the war than died in the war

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More Falklands veterans have commited suicide since the war than died in the war

Post  eddie on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:04 am

Steve Bell

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Re: More Falklands veterans have commited suicide since the war than died in the war

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:29 am

What are the actual numbers? I don't recall hearing about British casualties during that war (I got the impression it was a bit one-sided).
I suspect that the Falklands war was probably safer than the Washington DC beltway during rush-hour.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: More Falklands veterans have commited suicide since the war than died in the war

Post  eddie on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:37 am

A search on the Guardian web page came up with this:

During the war, Britain suffered 258 killed and 777 wounded. In addition, 2 destroyers, 2 frigates, and 2 auxiliary vessels were sunk. For Argentina, the Falklands War cost 649 killed, 1,068 wounded, and 11,313 captured. In addition, the Argentine Navy lost a submarine, a light cruiser, and 75 fixed-wing aircraft.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 am

That's more than I thought.

The suicide rate among British men in the general population is about 17 per 100,000 annually. So, if the Falklands invasion force was 10,000, we would expect the suicide rate to have averaged about 1.7 annually for the last 30 years: 1.7 x 30 = 51.

That means--if more than 258 have committed suicide--that the suicide rate among Falklands vets is more than 5 times higher than the general population.

Unless they are counting--as veterans--all of the British servicemen that have served time in the Falklands over the last 30 years. That number might be 50,000 instead of 10,000. If that is the case, then the veterans' suicide rate is closer to the general population.

We kill about 20 per year on the DC beltway (34 in 2007 alone).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top