Who was Jack the Ripper?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Who was Jack the Ripper?

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:16 am

eddie wrote:... this letter- the most credible of the thousands written to the authorities- received by George Lusk of the Mile End Vigilance Committee and containing half a female kidney was unsigned:

“From hell

Mr Lusk
Sor
I send you half the Kidne I took from one women prasarved it for you tother piece I fried and ate it was very nise. I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer

signed
Catch me when you Can Mishter Lusk.”

I was wondering if it was written that way on purpose...

Wiki:
Its author did not sign it with the pseudonym "Jack the Ripper", distinguishing it from the earlier Dear Boss letter, the Saucy Jack postcard, and their imitators. The "From Hell" letter is also written at a much lower literacy level than the other two, though scholars debate whether this is deliberate, as the author observed the silent k in 'knif' and h in 'whil'.

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:09 pm

asdf wrote:Seriously I'm wondering about the people that sent the fake letters ("hundreds of letters"), "fakes written by either newspaper men trying to start a story or fools trying to incite more terror." There must be frustrated killers among the fools.

'Fools' is about right.

After the 1970's serial killer The Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe) claimed his 13th victim, crowds (of men, of course) on the terraces at football matches started singing "Ripper 13, Coppers 0".

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:15 pm

asdf wrote:
Mr Lusk
Sor
I send you half the Kidne I took from one women prasarved it for you tother piece I fried and ate it was very nise. I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer

signed
Catch me when you Can Mishter Lusk.”

I was wondering if it was written that way on purpose...

...or perhaps phonetically, in the accent of the sender?

Did an Irishman write this?

There's a curious account by a Post Office clerk in Philip Sugden's "The Complete Jack the Ripper" of an Irish clergyman making inquiries about Mr Lusk's address...

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:23 am

About ten years ago I answered a questionnaire that a psychologist gave me. There were all kind of questions but I remember one of them was something like "are you very interested in news about crimes?". Since then I've always wondered about what that question implied... what kind of psychological information they think they get if the person answers yes...

When I saw this thread I thought "me? not interested" but it really is interesting. I have only read a few posts but I want to read it... sometimes I'm a bit lazy about reading...

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:26 am

Nobody would care about Jack the Ripper if the crimes had been solved, but because the culprit was never apprehended it's the perfect Whodunnit? mystery.

It's now become a whole industry: Ripper walks, Ripper books, Ripper theories etc.

I think I've already commented earlier in this thread about how historical distance lends a certain patina of enchantment to violence.

The nearby Tower of London, another popular London tourist attraction, was a dungeon, torture chamber and execution site- attracting millions of tourists every year,

Last edited by eddie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:37 am

eddie wrote:I think I've already commented earlier in this thread about how historical distance lends a certain patina of enchantment to violence.
you're right... it's not the same given some distance in time

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:46 am

There's a mystique ...

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:40 am

Buffalo Bill... Van Gogh ... Old Nichol Gang ... Reverend Runt ... Guild of the Juwes Conspiracy

a French businessman [Rene Secretan] who had known V. Van Gogh in Auvers, where Van Gogh died... He told this interesting story about how he and his brother used to tease [Van Gogh], and follow him around, and buy him drinks just to get him drunk, and parade their girlfriends in front of him because he seemed very sexually frustrated. They put a snake in his paint box, salt in his tea, and hot pepper on his brushes, because he used to suck on his brushes. And [Secretan] happened to have a pistol. He says it right in the story. He had a .380 peashooter that malfunctioned (sometimes you’d pull the trigger and it wouldn’t go off), that he bought so he could accessorize a Buffalo Bill costume he had bought at the Universal Exposition [in Paris, 1889] the year before Vincent’s death.

So here was this guy with a gun, and we know Van Gogh was shot with a pistol, and we knew from the doctors that examined Vincent that the gunshot was from a very strange angle for a suicide. First of all, he was shot in the abdomen, and only one per cent of suicide attempters try to shoot themselves in the abdomen. And according to the doctor, the gunshot came from too low, so it missed the heart, and it came from too far out, so there were no powder burns or anything like that. Anyone who watches the CSI show would figure out that this was not a suicide.

So we, for the first time, put two stories together in a speculative way. Here’s this guy that [Van Gogh] used to get drunk with, this kid who was really kind of overactive, a little hyper, and loved guns, and loved to shoot things, and loved to tease Vincent. Vincent was also prone to fits of anger. And [the two] often met in a bar. So all these pieces sort of fit together in a way that wasn’t clear.

Then later in the research, we found, in an obscure article about Vincent’s mental disease, a footnote that said the author of the [article] had interviewed [famed art historian] John Rewald in the 1930s. Rewald had gone to Auvers in the 1930s and interviewed the peasants who were still there and remembered the incident when Van Gogh was shot. They said the story was that he was shot by two boys, and that he decided he’d just take the rap for them so they wouldn’t get into trouble.

*Exposition Universelle (1889)
Buffalo Bill recruited American sharpshooter Annie Oakley to rejoin his Wild West Show which performed for packed audiences throughout the Exposition. Other prominent visitors included the Prince of Wales and his wife, Princess Al; artists James McNeill Whistler, Edvard Munch, Rosa Bonheur, Paul Gauguin and Vince van Gogh; U.S. journalist and diplomat Whitelaw Reid; author Henry James; Filipino patriot Jose Rizal; and inventor Thomas Edison.

will not be blamed for nothing?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top