Closure of coal mines while they are still making a profit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Closure of coal mines while they are still making a profit

Post  pinhedz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 am

The first time I saw the effects of long-term lung damage was when my grandmother died. She took up smoking at the age of 35 and chained smoked for 50 years. Eventually, her lungs lost so much capacity that she could only take in enough oxygen to stay alive while sitting still. In this condition, a common cold is life threatening.

I saw the same thing in coal miners when I worked at a hospital in Virginia. The difference was that they were dying in their 50s instead of in their 80s.

It happens in the movies; Loretta Lynn's father died that way in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter."

And it happened in the movie "Brassed Off," while the townsfolk were lamenting the closure of the mine--which was still making a profit.

Watching "Brassed Off," I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would want to preserve such a way of life. I understand that their options were limited, but that would seem to be all the more reason to start looking for a way out sooner rather than later, and to make one's escape a top priority.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Closure of coal mines while they are still making a profit

Post  eddie on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:58 pm

pinhedz wrote:I understand that their options were limited

Far too many of these individuals (with limited education, it must be said) failed to consider ballet dancing as an alternative career:

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 am

One guy--7 girls.

A guy that can really dance is always in huge demand (high school guys take note).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  felix on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:28 am

A slight diversion here, as you've mentioned "Brassed Off". The late Pete Postlethwaite took so well to conducting the brass band for his role, he was invited - and accepted - to conduct for the Knighton Town Silver Band, which task he performed to much acclaim, I'm told.

(His last home was at Bishops Castle, close to the Welsh border town of Knighton. Knighton was glad to claim him as one of their own)

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top