How are you celebrating the invention of Black History Month?

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How are you celebrating the invention of Black History Month?

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:19 pm

I know December was the wrong month. Is it next month? study 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Well gang, it's that spesh time of year again, and Tiny sez we should spice things up this go-round... so here's a scream-out to

WHITE STUFF THAT BLACK PEOPLE LIKE.

First up- JAMES TAYLOR.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:05 am

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

pinhedz wrote:I know December was the wrong month.  Is it next month? study 

The trick to remembering is to remember the familiar riff by the negro comedians - "And you muthfuggin know if the cracka gon give us a month, it dam well gon be the shortest month of tha year, skeeeeeeeeeet"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Yakky C. wrote:WHITE STUFF THAT BLACK PEOPLE LIKE.

Well I always knew down deep deep down that this forum twas a classy place, like San Diego, and I want to personally thank all you veritable Mister & Missus Sewards out there for avoiding the obvious joke in response to the question "what WHITE STUFF DO BLACK PEOPLE LIKE?"  "Answer: crack cocaine and chicken."   that would be an obvious, shabby gag and hot-damn, the Sewards here passed the test, see

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm

and the tit parade continues, next up The McDonald

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-24-2014/denunciation-proclamation

http://youtu.be/zB7MichlL1k

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I watched that programme and Ronan Farrow was on it.

To celebrate Black History Month, LeVar Burton has appeared on Canadian chat show Stroumboulopoulos Tonight

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:54 pm

well it has been another really good Black History Month.  if i may, i'd like to give a shout about to ELBERT TUTTLE, someone who did an awful lot for Black History.  peace

ELBERT TUTTLE ELBERT TUTTLE ELBERT TUTTLE

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 am

as i sed it was a pretty durn good Black History Month, but now it is back to reality and back to brass tacks.

and now it needs to be discussed, is this Time Magazine reposte against Spike Lee an indication that Irrational Angry Black Man Syndrome (IABMS) [ not to be confused with the less common Rational Angry Black Man Syndrome (RABMS)] is on the wane?

Spike Lee’s Racism Isn’t Cute: ‘M—–f—– Hipster’ Is the New ‘Honkey’

What’s really bothering Lee is that he doesn’t like seeing his old neighborhood full of white people, which makes him historical detritus.

By John "Black Guy" McWhorter
Feb. 28, 2014

It’s interesting that the director of the richest oeuvre of black films in the history of the medium doesn’t understand what the Civil Rights revolution was for. In his expletive-laced comments about the gentrification of Fort Greene during an interview at the Pratt Institute, Spike Lee seemed to think that what we Overcame for was to be grouchy bigots.

Basically, black people are getting paid more money than they’ve ever seen in their lives for their houses, and a once sketchy neighborhood is now quiet and pleasant. And this is a bad thing… why?

Lee seems to think it’s somehow an injustice whenever black people pick up stakes. But I doubt many of the blacks now set to pass fat inheritances on to their kids feel that way. This is not the old story of poor blacks being pushed out of neighborhoods razed down for highway construction. Lee isn’t making sense.

“Respect the culture” when you move in, Lee growls. But again, he isn’t making sense. We can be quite sure that if whites “respected” the culture by trying to participate in it, Lee would be one of the first in line to call it “appropriation.” So, no whites better open up barbecue joints or spoken word cafes or try to be rappers. Yet if whites walk on by the culture in “respectful” silence, then the word on the street becomes that they want to keep blacks at a distance.

In his interview with Anderson Cooper on Wednesday to clarify, Lee mentioned the controversy in Harlem some years ago over park drumming, which new white residents protested. Lee thinks whites were supposed to put up with being woken up on weekend mornings by the drums. That was a subtle issue. I refer to it in my Western Civilization class as a difficult judgment — the kind that shows that real life offers few easy answers.

Lee seems to think it was an open-and-shut case – but then how would he feel if it were whites drumming and blacks moving into the neighborhood and complaining? Maybe he thinks blacks are supposed to be accommodated as payback for the past. But for how long? Pity is not respect. W.E.B. DuBois once said that “Black America needs justice and is given charity.”

But on gentrification Lee doesn’t have time for making sense or trying to, despite the nuance he so brilliantly displays in his films. His comments are instead a tantrum, and an ugly one. What’s really bothering Lee is that he doesn’t like seeing his old neighborhood full of white people.

Or whitey, perhaps. Just as “thug” is a new way of saying the N-word in polite society, Lee’s “m—–f—– hipster” epithet for the new whites of Fort Greene is a sneaky way of saying “honkey.” Lee is less a social analyst than a reincarnation of George Jefferson with his open hostility to whites.

But George had grown up in Jim Crow America. We let his bigotry pass as “cute” because it was just desserts for a nasty past that was barely even past. But it’s been 40 years.

Surely what bothers Lee is not that Fort Greene is now a cushy neighborhood. He just wishes it had gotten that way with all black faces. He’s yearning for the multi-class black communities that people of his generation regret the dissolutions of after the end of institutionalized segregation (when black people like my parents, for example, moved out to mixed or white neighborhoods).

But let’s face it: The reason there were black communities like that was because of segregation. If there still were black communities like that, no matter how beautiful they would look when shot lovingly in films like Lee’s, it would signify racial barriers. The neighborhood would be prime fodder for people like Lee to intone with smug indignation about how non-post-racial America is. “You barely see a white face on the streets. What’s that about? What are they afraid of?”

Enough, Mr. Lee. Enough.

When racial barriers come down, people mingle, cohabitate, and mate. People grumbling on the sidelines about the losses and appropriations and whatnot that this involves are historical detritus. That becomes ringingly clear in how impossible it is to scorn the multiracial children who grow from processes like this, who grow up to be perfectly normal adults — and life goes on.

And black will go on — but hopefully not the way people like Lee would prefer. There are those who think recreational contrarianism is the soul of blackness — surely, if we aren’t mad, we aren’t truly black.

But history records no human group whose core essence was eternal indignation. Lee’s films, ironically, teach much about what black is and what it will be. Odd that in real life he thinks hearkening back to the social politics of Fred Sanford is moving on up.

-John McWhorter

John McWhorter is an associate professor of English and comparative literature at Columbia University and the author of What Language Is (and What It Isn't and What It Could Be). The views expressed are solely his own.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  retrato hablado on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 pm

When I saw TEN MINUTES OLDER: The Trumpet, although I guess each director was doing what they do hah, I remember Spike Lee's We Wuz Robbed appeared as out of tune

And his version of Old Boy looks like it'd fail for me the same way, changing it too much to the stuff in his mind
like "I don't care, man"

retrato hablado

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:18 am

"Old Boy" would not be on my list of Top Ten Korean Films Crying Out to be Remade with Johnson Brolin.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:22 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 am

Amid reports of gang ties, the Eagles cut DeSean Jackson. I grew up with him. I believe him to be a good person. I also know why NFL players from inner-city neighborhoods like mine in L.A. keep friends from when we were nobodies.

I’m not going to tell you that DeSean Jackson isn’t in a gang, because I can’t say unequivocally that he isn’t. I can’t tell you whether his friends have done the things police have accused them of doing, because I wasn’t there. I can’t tell you what DeSean does with his time, because we play football on opposite ends of the country. I can only tell you that I believe him to be a good person, and if you think, say or write otherwise without knowing the man, you’re in the wrong.

And if it’s true the Eagles terminated his contract in part because they grew afraid of his alleged “gang ties,” then they did something worse.

I look at those words—gang ties—and I think about all the players I’ve met in the NFL and all of us who come from inner-city neighborhoods like mine in Los Angeles, and I wonder how many of us could honestly say we’re not friends with guys doing the wrong things.

I can’t.

I grew up in Watts, and I played baseball with DeSean in elementary school on a team coached by his father near Inglewood. His father, Bill, picked me up from elementary school 30 minutes away from his home for practice and games because my parents both worked and didn’t finish until later, and I wanted to play baseball with some childhood friends. Bill was a great coach, and a great man. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2009, the summer after his son’s rookie season. DeSean and I didn’t hang out then like we did as kids.

Those men with DeSean in the social pictures and the police reports weren’t his closest friends in childhood, but when his father died and few people were there for him, they were there. When a tragic event like that happens, the people who are around are the people who are around, and they were there for him.

Was DeSean supposed to then say, “Thanks guys, but now that I’m a millionaire, please leave me alone?” Even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t have. In desperate times for people who come from desperate communities, your friends become your family. I wouldn’t expect DeSean to “distance himself” from anybody, as so many people suggest pro athletes ought to do despite having no understanding of what that means. Going to college and playing in the NFL creates a natural distance, but we can’t push people away just because they’re not as successful as us. I can’t change who I grew up with, but what I can do is try to educate them on the right way of doing things, help them when they need it, and try to keep them out of trouble.

There is, of course, a tipping point. There have been times when I realized that someone can’t be helped, because they continue doing the wrong things. Typically, the only time I cut someone off is when they’re in jail, because I can’t help them there.

And if they’re accused of a crime, as DeSean’s friends have been, should that reflect poorly on me? Consider that for every several guys I try to help who end up dead or in jail, there’s another person I was able to rescue from a similar end. Should I give up on everybody out of fear of being dirtied by the media?

Sorry, but I was born in this dirt.

NFL teams understand that. The Seattle Seahawks get it. The Philadelphia Eagles apparently do not.

This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, “I will fight every nigger here.” He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he’s not a racist, at least has “ties” to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the nigger word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.

Commit certain crimes in this league and be a certain color, and you get help, not scorn. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had “ties” to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.

But DeSean Jackson is the menace, right? He’s just as bad as those guys he parties with because he threw up a Crip sign in a picture and he owns a gangsta rap record label. If only all record label owners were held to this standard, somebody might realize that Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg weren’t the bosses behind NWA. Jim Irsay lookalikes in suits were.

But go ahead and judge DeSean for the company he keeps. While you’re at it, judge me, too, because I still live in Los Angeles, and my family does, too. We didn’t run from where we grew up. We aren’t afraid to be associated with the people who came up with us. We brought some of our money back and started charities and tried to help out a few guys who were with us when we were nobodies.

I won’t apologize for that, and I suspect neither will DeSean when he’s back on the field doing what he’s always done: grinding through adversity.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Dobis o lay? Attorney Genral Eric Holden plans to make it illegal for itinerants to consume dirt in the Florida Panhandle, and Holden also wants to ban anniversary remembrances of The 1855 U.S. Army importation of 70 camels for help in managing the country’s hinterland sod. Dairy Queen corp has announced a symbolic protest of these maneuevers- by way of offering free Creemy Tang Baco-Rollers next Black History Month ... to the first 900 customers February 11 between 11 am and 1:15 pm .... but even that heavy duty probably wont bring out the duty in Holden's "soul"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri May 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Maya Angelou is dead.

Long live Maya Angelou.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu May 29, 2014 1:56 pm

So many pics of her now, all of them with her in her 80s.

I reckon those probably aren't her favorite pic of herself.

"… How can I explain that I see you like you were on that first date, you were so sassy, your shoulders used to ride high like the breasts of young girls …"

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:47 pm

a phunny video, but for a portant cause, check the kickstarter and donate if u can

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c61f805aa7/reading-rainbow-s-new-theme-song-with-levar-burton

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:34 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:16 pm

The Chocolate Drops tribute to the invaluable contributions of the Snowden family.  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am

RUBY DEE DEAD

[

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:10 am

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am

one thing i am worried about is that the death of Bobby Womack will totally overshadow the death of the delightful Meshach Taylor

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top