Brazil

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brazil

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:59 pm

A brute inside the ring, Sonny Liston also was a brute outside it, condemned to a life of trouble. Born Charles, he was called Sonny. He was a man of mystery. No one is sure when he was born. No one is sure when -- or even how -- he died. More pressing to boxing fans is the questionable ways in which he lost two heavyweight title fights to Muhammad Ali, who was known in the first as Cassius Clay.

Each fight had its own set of ambiguities. The first, held in Miami Beach, provoked cries that Liston went into the tank when he didn't come out for the seventh round. The second, held in a small town in Maine, was even more questionable, as Liston was knocked out in the first. Many openly wondered whether the fights were fixed.

What can be said with certainty is Liston was one of the most imposing figures to lace on boxing gloves. "In the ring, Sonny was a killing machine," said Johnny Tocco, one of Liston's trainers.

The 6-foot-1½, 215-pounder used his 14-inch fists to make his mark, sometimes at inappropriate times. Along with a 50-4 ring record that included 39 knockouts, he had 19 arrests. He pleaded guilty and served separate stretches for armed robbery and assaulting a police officer.

Liston had ties to organized crime. In 1952, after serving two years in prison, he was paroled to a team of boxing handlers with ties to John Vitale, a St. Louis underworld figure. Six years later, Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo, top Mafia figures in the Northeast, became the majority owner of Liston's contract. Carbo was later indicted on conspiracy, multiple counts of undercover management of prizefighters and unlicensed matchmaking. Liston fought 12 fights under their control.

In 1960, the man who never learned to read testified before a Senate subcommittee probing underworld control of boxing.

When Liston beat the popular Floyd Patterson in 1962 to become heavyweight champion, he was perceived as an indomitable -- if evil -- force.

Liston believed his birth date was May 8, 1932, but he was never sure and that led to speculation he was actually a few years older. The 24th of 25 children fathered by Tobey or Tobe Liston (one of 10 with his wife Helen), Sonny came into the world in a tenant's shack 17 miles northwest of Forrest City, Ark. "I had nothing when I was a kid but a lot of brothers and sisters, a helpless mother and a father who didn't care about any of us," he said. "We grew up with few clothes, no shoes, little to eat. My father worked me hard and whupped me hard."

Helen left her husband and moved to St. Louis in 1946. Sonny ran away from home to join her. Unable to read or write, the burly teenager attempted to make a living on the streets of St. Louis. In 1950, he and two others were arrested for armed robbery of two gas stations and a diner. Pleading guilty to two counts of first-degree robbery and two charges of larceny, he was sentenced to five years on each charge to run concurrently.

While at the Missouri State Penitentiary in Jefferson City, he started boxing. On Oct. 30, 1952, he was released on parole and he turned professional the following September. His first pro fight lasted 33 seconds: Liston leveled "Don Smith" with his first punch.

Liston was a marked man in St. Louis, where police were known to stop him on sight, sometimes without cause. On May 5, 1956, he erupted. When a cop confronted him and a friend about a cab parked near Liston's home, he assaulted the officer, breaking his knee and gashing his face, and took his gun. Liston received nine months in the city workhouse.

After his release, Liston had another altercation with a cop -- this time he left an officer headfirst in a trash can. A police sergeant put out the word that Liston should leave town or else. Sonny heeded the ultimatum, and went to Philadelphia. His managers sold his contract to a group headed by Carbo and Palermo. While Liston began working into shape with hopes for a heavyweight title shot, he also continued his anti-social behavior. Two more arrests -- for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and another for impersonating a cop -- led to Liston being suspended by the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission on July 14, 1961. The suspension was honored in all states.

Liston's license was reinstated three months later. In December he knocked out fourth-ranked Albert Westphal to position himself for a shot at the champ, Patterson. Despite protests by the NAACP, which wanted Patterson to avoid fighting Liston, whose reputation as a thug was deemed detrimental to the civil rights movement, thea fight took place on Sept. 25, 1962 in Chicago. It lasted only two minutes, six seconds.

But Liston found a chilly reception waiting in his adopted hometown. "A celebration for Philadelphia's first heavyweight champ is now in order," Philadelphia Daily News sports editor Larry Merchant wrote. "Emily Post would probably recommend a ticker-tape parade. For confetti we can use shredded warrants of arrest."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Brazil

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Geoff Muldaur's rendition of Brazil is not as good as Bing and Rosemary's. bounce

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Some interesting insights in Michael Palin's Diaries into the making of Brazil- fellow Python Terry Gilliam was, of course, the auteur- in which Palin, uncharacteristically plays the bad guy.

Love Jonathan Price's central performance: one of my favourite actors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aErDEFpoD_0
Pryce is brought before his friend Palin to be tortured- Brazil.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 am

I like the part when the simpleton chick with serious orthodontical concerns is trying to make conversation with Sam Lowry over supper but all she can come up with is to offer him salt. That masterstroke should be taught in all introductory screenwriting courses at the Learning Annex, because that is how it is done.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:51 am

Bing and Rosey - the frothing chemistry between the two 50% Irish Catholic commoners turned meggastars can never be denied. As some liner notes explain - Rosey was one of the precious few to be admitted into the elite Bing Inner Circle of Golfy Destiny.

*Bing is often described as Irish Catholic, but recall that his paternal line descends from Mayflower Puritan PATIENCE BREWSTER.

Last edited by user on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:34 am

user wrote:*Bing is often described as Irish Catholic, but recall that his paternal line descends from Mayflower Puritan PATIENCE BREWSTER.
Bear in mind that if you trace Bing's family tree back 12 generations, he is a direct descendant of 4096 individuals of 1610 vintage.

So, those few Puritans are diluted down to a mere trace of DNA, and the Catholic gene is always dominant regardless.

A pinhed would do the math:

1/2 Harrigan

1/4096th Brewster Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:43 am

Um, Bing's father's side be English stock by way of New England and over to Tacoma (yes, I have seen the relevant genealogical data) and his mother was second gen Irish.

So like I said, the math is 50% Irish, 50% English ... ALL AMERICAN.

But, I suppose being Irish is a bit like being black, get a little on you, and you're screwed.

Razz Razz Razz Razz
Razz Razz Razz Razz
Razz Razz Razz Razz

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:23 am

Catherine Harrigan was Minnesotan. She was no doubt raised on the same tunes as Whoopie John Wilfahrt and Bob Dylan, which in turn explains Bing's musicality.

"He [Nathaniel Crosby] married Catherine Harrigan in Tacoma, Washington, 4 Jan 1894. Catherine was born in Stillwater, Minnesota 7 Feb 1873. Catherine was the daughter of Dennis Harrigan Jr. and Catherine Ahearn. Catherine died 1964 at 91 years of age. She was baptized in Stillwater, Minnesota, 11 Feb 1873. Religion: religion unknown."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Minnesota clearly is the most glorious locale in the northrn hemisphre. You may have doubts because Bob Dylan moved to MALIBU, Charles 'Sparky' Shulz moved to Santa Rosa, John Earl Madden left to attend Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Daly City and now lives on the world's largest mega-bus, Encephalohed moved to HARPER'S FERRY, Prince Rogers will be moving to LA FRANCE, and the only reason Garyson Keeler partly moved back to Minnersota was cuz his family 'guilt-tripped' him about depriving his daughter of Minnesot-aunts and deadly winters. Why would anyone get sick of Olsons and sweater vests?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

There are great places to be, and there are great places to be from. Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Q&A: Terry Gilliam

'My most unappealing habit? Farting in small, enclosed spaces'

Rosanna Greenstreet

The Guardian, Saturday 21 January 2012

Terry Gilliam: 'Swamp gas, the smell of it brings back memories of my childhood in Minnesota.' Photograph: David Levene

Terry Gilliam, 71, was born in Minnesota. Having worked as an animator and strip cartoonist on Help! magazine in New York, he moved to the UK in 1967, where he began working on the children's TV show Do Not Adjust Your Set. In 1969 he launched the comedy TV series Monty Python's Flying Circus, with Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman and John Cleese. The series spawned four movies, including Monty Python And The Holy Grail, which Gilliam co-directed with Jones.

The Wholly Family
Production year: 2011
Runtime: 20 mins
Directors: Terry Gilliam
Cast: Cristiana Capotondi, Guido Primicile Carafa, Pietro Botte

When were you happiest?
Lost in a piece of music.

What is your greatest fear?
Any harm to my children.

What is your earliest memory?
Hallucinating with scarlet fever that the refrigerator in the next room blew up, killing my parents.

Which living person do you most admire, and why?
Maggie, my wife – for putting up with me.

What was your most embarrassing moment?
I've wiped it from my memory.

Property aside, what's the most expensive thing you've ever bought?
Anything over £5 is expensive to me.

Where would you like to live?
On the outskirts of a medieval village on a mountain overlooking the sea, with a funicular to the beach and a ski-lift to the slopes above and a level road to the shops. Where? Obviously in my imagination.

What would your super power be?
To fly a few feet off the ground.

What makes you unhappy?
Not being able to work.

What does love feel like?
Miserable.

If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
The ability of a man to recite the entire Iliad and Odyssey.

What is your most unappealing habit?
Farting in small, enclosed spaces.

What is your favourite smell?
Swamp gas – it brings back memories of my childhood in Minnesota.

What is your favourite word?
Erudite

What is the worst thing anyone's ever said to you?
That I was a genius.

What do you owe your parents?
The forbearance they gave me.

What was the best kiss of your life?
With an orangutan on the set of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Which living person do you most despise, and why?
Jerry Springer – for encouraging the worst in people.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Stuff and fuck.

What is the worst job you've done?
Cleaning out barrels that had contained salt beef.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?
The Renaissance in Italy.

How do you relax?
Building stone walls.

What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
The ability to delegate.

What keeps you awake at night?
Dreams.

What song would you like played at your funeral?
You mean I'm going to die?

How would you like to be remembered?
On my tombstone I want the words, "He giggled in awe."

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Don't die young.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

Terry Gilliam talks apps, iPad and interactivity

Film director and Monty Python star on why 'there's no way of being a Luddite any more' when it comes to technology

Terry Gilliam is going with the flow for Monty Python's iPhone and iPad apps

"We're in this position of having survived, with people interested in any new iteration of Python, and if we can squeeze any money out of our fans, we're quite rapacious..."

Tongue firmly in cheek, Terry Gilliam is referring to the two Monty Python apps released in 2012.

The Holy Book of Days is an iPad app collecting video, audio, animations, 360-degree spinnable props and memories from the 28-day shoot for Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Meanwhile, iPhone app Python Bytes gathers 22 sketches from the first series of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

"iPads are here, apps are here: there's no way of being a Luddite any more! You have to go with the flow," says Gilliam.

"I'm impressed by both apps: the Holy Grail is very nicely done, with a lot of work put in to make it a nice-looking thing. And the iPhone app is really elegant – it's the way I want to see more of our stuff put out."

Gilliam doesn't have an iPhone himself, but he's borrowed one from Python Bytes developer Heuristic Media – co-founded by longtime friend and fellow filmmaker Richard Loncraine – to practise scribbling his signature on the touchscreen using a stylus, for its App Signing feature.

Gilliam and fellow Pythons Michael Palin and Terry Jones will be making use of that feature, as well as discussing the app, at an event in Apple's Regent Street store in London on 3 May.

One interesting thing about the Python Bytes app is the way it randomises the order in which sketches are played: users shake their iPhones to skip to a new clip.

"When we made the shows, we spent so much time making sure they went out in the order we planned them, untouched," says Gilliam, referring to the infamous re-editing of the series for transmission in the US.

"Now we're letting them be used any way. It doesn't bother me any more, although at the time it might have. Certain sketches work better than others, so let's edit out the weak stuff. And I do like the randomness: the serendipity of it."

Python Bytes shows sketches from the first series of Monty Python's Flying Circus

Gilliam gracefully bats back a suggestion that his use of animation in the original shows was as technologically advanced for its time as a slick app is in 2012 – "It was very crude animation!" – but he has interesting views on interactive media.

He actually worked on a CD-ROM game in the mid 1990s, which Gilliam says he really enjoyed, even though the project ultimately fell apart before it could be released. More recently, he was involved in the promotional campaign for console game Heavy Rain.

"I don't like interactivity when it comes to doing films. That's being a storyteller," he says.

"A movie to me is something I make, and you can watch it. Hopefully I engage you, and you like it and are stimulated by it. But you don't get to share in it. But in video games, you can, and that's interesting. The two worlds should both exist."

Gilliam notes that games are having an impact on some filmmaking aesthetics now though – he cites Inception as a prominent example – and talks approvingly of the fact that filmmakers like Heuristic's Loncraine are bringing their storytelling skills to apps.

"Richard's running with this thing, and we're delighted with his enthusiasm and inventiveness," he says.

"The problem with Python now is that we're not together enough to make the decisions we used to when we were working together every day. But with Richard, I trust him, and know he's going to do a good job and make interesting choices."

In the meantime, Gilliam remains a critical yet engaged observer of the world of apps and tablets, including from the standpoint of his day-to-day work on a computer with Wacom tablet, and on pen and paper.

"I've got an iPad, but it frustrates me, because it's not really a computer," he says. "Some of the things I want to do, I can't do well on it. I have this Bamboo Stylus now to do drawings on the iPad, but the nib is too big: I find it very cumbersome still."

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 03, 2012 1:44 pm

James Bond Villain Jonathan Pryce just left the Duckminster Theatre in San Freakydeakycisco with his nomadic production of Harry Pinter's DAS KARETAKER. I was gonna go but the dates conflicted with my Executive Package booking of THE PHANTOM MENACE in 3D plus Jimmy Smits / Warwick Davis Jamba Juice Meet 'n' Greet. I hear that bit of Pinter play-acting can be the helix of power trips that are hilarious and horrifying?!? Remember when Pryce was the smooth bemused pitch-man for INFINITI automobiles? And then Mike Meyers parodied the spots with refined, modren INFINITI toilets?

Those were some times ... when Queen Latifah's FOX sitcom LIVIN SINGLE was just beginning its mythic flight and life was cheap.

farao

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Rolling Eyes Uh OK. Rolling Eyes

If one is watching the 2009 flim which was called The Star Trek ... one can look closely with eagled-eyez and be noticing that, after Admiral Tyler 'Cameo' Perry is alerted to the Vulcanian Distressed Signal, the shuttle being boarded by Fleet of the Stars cadets is named the Gilliam.

Last edited by user on Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Great. Thanks for that. Really great stuff there. I mean it.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 19, 2013 1:41 am

pinhedz wrote:Catherine was the daughter of Dennis Harrigan Jr. and Catherine Ahearn. Catherine died 1964 at 91 years of age. She was baptized in Stillwater, Minnesota, 11 Feb 1873. Religion: religion unknown."
Is Irish a religion?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 19, 2013 8:24 am

yes and no, it's a variety of funereal, breakfast, breakfast tea, coffee, whisken, soap & alcoholisme.

Which reminds me of O'Brien. Miles O'Brien. How much Brien? miles & miles & miles & miles o' Brien. O yeah.

Which is leading to the kwestion that is like the gargantuan fifer in tha room ... OK ... maybe we can finalee suss this pannystye out eh ... :

When Captain Picard is in the transporter room ... and he's all "Good lord, did not anyone else build ships in bottles when they were boys?" And douching Will Riker just has this blank staring.

And Worf's all, "I did not play with ... toys."

And Data's all, "I was never a boy."

Then there's this awkward silence ... and Miles O'Brien pipes in ... "I did, sir."

And Picard's all, "Thank you, Mr. O'Brien."

And Riker is all glaring at Miles O'Brien.

And Miles O'Brien is all, "Honest I did ... ships in bottles ... great fun."

Colm Meaney, who is proforming as Miles O'Brien, is a first-rate thesper, but in a really non show-offy way. And just in this little scene, one can be seeing the layers that Colm Meaney is bringing to what started out as a very bit part. it was Meaney's seemingly effortless dignity, decency, and cheeky humours that pretty much demanded to the Paramount Large-Wigs that O'Brien be promoted ... ultimately becoming the most important player after the featured stars ( with the possible exception of Whoopis Goldbreg as 'Texas Guinan' - Synthahol tender on the decks of 'Ten-Forward')

And with Deep Space Nine, Colm-Brien is promoted once more to fully-fledge starring proformer. And let us break this down... unlike pretty much every other starring Starsfleet character ... O'Brien is a NON-COMMISSIONED enlisted engineer ... a regular dude ... a workring mann ... but look what happeninged ... this 'Joe Beverage-Thermos' becomes basically the heart and soul of the Deep Space Nine Space Station ... and thru the discovery of a stable worm-hole and thru the epic confrontation with THE DOMINION of The Gamma Quadrant ... Deep Space Nine Space Station becomes the heart/soul of the Alpha Quadrant of the Milky Way Galaxy ( this is where Earth is, chumpz)

... hencepost lowly pleeby-weeby Miles and Miles O'Brien becomes the soul-love and heart-beats of humanity's swath of the MILKY WAY ... and this is a great message to average kids to stay in school because one day prehaps they will be able to be acquiring a George Foreman Grill which as you know 'knocks out' the fats but also make really beautiful grill marks. Look at the grill marks ... see how pretty they are?

Butt OK bak to the original questioning : as often Colm Meaney's textured preformance is open to several interpretings and so when MILES O'BRIEN is saying "Honest I did ... ships in bottles ... great fun." there are numbered interpretations, namely being:

1. MILES O'BRIEN is being a suck-arse towards Captain Picard

2. MILES O'BRIEN is pretending to be a suck-arse to Captain Picard just for the cheeky humours

3. MILES O'BRIEN really did play with ships in bottles as an Irish boy.

4. MILES O'BRIEN really did play with ships in bottles as an Irish boy, yet realizes saying so makes him come across as a suck-arse to the Captain, especially since he's also in front of the first officer and security chief, and Miles sees the slight humour of the scenario

AND more ... ...

Last edited by user on Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm

I was raised in the Irish-American Religion--which differs from both Lutheranism and Italian-American Catholicism. geek

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 pm

MASAKA IS COMING.

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 19, 2013 9:21 pm

MASAKA IS COMING.

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 pm

user, I was looking at what you were typing about Bing Crosby and er, do you like believe in weird outmoded racialist theories or something?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Eh, if I take your meaning, no ... vis-a-vis Bing and ancestries, I was more talking about cultural information (memes) being passed down amongst generations rather than genetic informations (genes) per se.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Ah ... tanks for clearing that up.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

It's really no problem.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down