all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why? (hic)

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

why? (hic) Empty why? (hic)

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:17 am

Christopher Hitchens

Reflecting on the lifestyle that supported his career as a writer, Christopher Hitchens said:

I always knew there was a risk in the bohemian lifestyle... I decided to take it because it helped my concentration, it stopped me being bored — it stopped other people being boring. It would make me want to prolong the conversation and enhance the moment. If you ask: would I do it again? I would probably say yes. But I would have quit earlier hoping to get away with the whole thing. I decided all of life is a wager and I'm going to wager on this bit... In a strange way I don't regret it. It's just impossible for me to picture life without wine, and other things, fueling the company, keeping me reading, energising me. It worked for me. It really did.

why? (hic) Hitchens

Back to top Go down

why? (hic) Empty Re: why? (hic)

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:26 am

Ernest Hemingway

“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”

why? (hic) Hemingway102411

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:35 am

Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

why? (hic) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkyG74TAlL6QapCCX6dfOdgDLYfF0SXuQV4EfXJCgEA2KlfqdGE14vJ-8qZQ

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:38 am

I'll dedicate one of my favorite aforisms of Nietzsche to Hitch, I'm sure he would appreciate it:

The Dying Socrates. I admire the courage and wisdom of Socrates in all that he did, said and did not say. This mocking and amorous demon and rat catcher of Athens, who made the most insolent youths tremble and sob, was not only the wisest babbler that has ever lived, but was just as great in his silence. I would that he had also been silent in the last moment of his life, perhaps he might then have belonged to a still higher order of intellects. Whether it was death, or the poison, or piety, or wickedness something or other loosened his tongue at that moment, and he said: "O Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepios." For him who has ears, this ludicrous and terrible "last word" implies: "O Crito, life is a long sickness!" Is it possible! A man like him, who had lived cheerfully and to all appearance as a soldier, was a pessimist! He had merely put on a good demeanour towards life, and had all along concealed his ultimate judgment, his profoundest sentiment! Socrates, Socrates had suffered from life! And he also took his revenge for it with that veiled, fearful, pious, and blasphemous phrase! Had even a Socrates to revenge himself? Was there a grain too little of magnanimity in his superabundant virtue? Ah, my friends! We must surpass even the Greeks!

Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science, 340.

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 am

TOday I said "it's silly marihuana is not legalized here... while alcohol is"
My brother - "They should ban alcohol also" (not sure if serious)
And I replied "La gente necesita ilusiones" which isn't easy to translate Razz

Edit: they translate ilusiones as hopes so it would be "People need hopes" but I think hope is not the word here...
Oh I just discovered a new word for me: zest

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am

Hunter S. Thompson

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

why? (hic) 5F3A0547-E28C-B274-768BB6E2954E138C

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:53 am

Vera Cruz wrote:TOday I said "it's silly marihuana is not legalized here... while alcohol is"
My brother - "They should ban alcohol also" (not sure if serious)
And I replied "La gente necesita ilusiones" which isn't easy to translate Razz

Edit: they translate ilusiones as hopes so it would be "People need hopes" but I think hope is not the word here...
Oh I just discovered a new word for me: zest

Hello asdf. Zest goes well with this thread (hic) because as well as meaning excitement or enjoyment it is also the peel or skin of an orange or lemon, used as flavouring in drinks, etc.

why? (hic) 220px-Zesting_an_orange
zesting an orange

The Old Fashioned 101

1 1/3 ounce Wild Turkey Bourbon
1/2 ounce apple cider
3 sage leaves
1 pinch of saffron
1 tsp brown sugar
2 orange twists
1 tsp orange zest
1 fresh cherry
1 ounce Amaretto

Slice cherry from top to bottom five times around pit, and soak in a cup of Amaretto. Muddle cider, sage, saffron, brown sugar, orange twists and zest together in glass. Add Wild Turkey Bourbon and stir. Strain and serve over ice.

why? (hic) 8678

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:59 am

Is 'People need something to hang onto' what you are looking for?

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 am

Andy wrote:Is 'People need something to hang onto' what you are looking for?

Hello Andy. I'm afraid I was being frivolous with this thread (although I think it's interesting that so many gifted people are heavy drinkers).
I thought I'd quote humourous things these famous heavy drinkers had to say about their propensity for drink. I'm certain there would be a much darker set of commentaries on their lifestyle if I looked for it...but I've opted for levity at this time. Very Happy

Last edited by blue moon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:24 am

Oscar Wilde

"I don't drink water, fish fuck in it."

why? (hic) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh7FaiMYhGc6wcuFJXIu3av6scXkYhtQI4egon7uriJv0iXLuwz09tcnb98w

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:38 am

why? (hic) Avatar842_38

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:43 am

A man who was fond of wine was offered some grapes at dessert after dinner. "Much obliged," said he, pushing the plate aside, "I am not accustomed to take my wine in pills." ~Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

why? (hic) Brillat_savarin_syouzou

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 am

No poems can please for long or live that are written by water-drinkers. ~Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus), Satires

why? (hic) Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 am

Teetotallers lack the sympathy and generosity of men that drink. ~W.H. Davies

why? (hic) The-Villain--by-W-H-Davies-by-Mary-Carslake

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:57 am

Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink. ~Mark Twain, Note-Book, 1935

why? (hic) Mark-twain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Charles Bukowski
from Factotum (1975)

"Frankly, I was horrified by life, at what a man had to do simply in order to eat, sleep, and keep himself clothed. So I stayed in bed and drank. When you drank the world was still out there, but for the moment it didn’t have you by the throat."

why? (hic) Bukowski

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

Last edited by blue moon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:35 pm

“One more drink and I'll be under the host.”
― Mae West

why? (hic) 782104_f520

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 pm

“I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom.”
― Edgar Allan Poe

why? (hic) Edgar-allan-poe-6

“Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain —
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.”
― Edgar Allan Poe

Last edited by blue moon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:49 pm

“I don't have a drinking problem 'Cept when I can't get a drink.”
― Tom Waits

why? (hic) Tom_waits

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 pm

“Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to.”
― Martin Luther

why? (hic) Martin-luther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:00 pm

“At the time I started in ballet they were dancing 'The Spirit of Champagne' on pointe, in Paris. I thought, 'I don't want to dance the spirit of champagne, I want to drink it!”
― Martha Graham, Blood Memory

why? (hic) Biography%2BMartha%2BGraham%2BDancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:06 pm

“The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words which were better unspoken”
― Homer

why? (hic) Homerst

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:24 pm

blue moon wrote:Oscar Wilde

why? (hic) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh7FaiMYhGc6wcuFJXIu3av6scXkYhtQI4egon7uriJv0iXLuwz09tcnb98w

Mr Picky inquires: Wasn't that said by WC Fields?
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:32 pm

... study ...you are correct cheers

why? (hic) 782104_f520

W.C.Fields.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:30 pm

blue moon wrote:Charles Bukowski
from Factotum (1975)

"Frankly, I was horrified by life, at what a man had to do simply in order to eat, sleep, and keep himself clothed. So I stayed in bed and drank. When you drank the world was still out there, but for the moment it didn’t have you by the throat."

why? (hic) Bukowski

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

Some People
by Charles Bukowski

some people never go crazy.
me, sometimes I'll lie down behind the couch
for 3 or 4 days.
they'll find me there.
it's Cherub, they'll say, and
they pour wine down my throat
rub my chest
sprinkle me with oils.
then, I'll rise with a roar,
rant, rage -