Advertising

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advertising

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:42 am

Anybody else is getting unexpected advertising? Not in this forum (apart from the usual)... I mean in other sites such as youtube or facebook where there wasn't any of this kind before.

I don't know if it could be something in my computer or what... I don't even know if that's possible

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am

...extra and excess advertising is all over those sites in my computer as well asdf.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  pinhedz on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:47 am

'tis the season, I suppose.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11538
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 am

blue moon wrote:...extra and excess advertising is all over those sites in my computer as well asdf.
Do you use mozilla firefox?
I do
and I just visited those sites using google chrome and there's no advertising

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  felix on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:03 am

Someone asked this question on another forum I visit. There is an answer - I'll look and get back to you. Very Happy

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Posts : 831
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : see the chicken?

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  felix on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:36 am

Isa and Moonie

Here's what a poster recommended on the other forum - and others confirmed that it does the job:

You need simple adblock, gets rid of all the junk and ads.
It's safe, I've been running it for ages.

http://simple-adblock.com/

Enjoy

Very Happy Very Happy
I've not tried it myself. Let us know if you use it and it works for you? cat

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Posts : 831
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : see the chicken?

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:47 am

That one is for internet explorer

I'll look for the version for firefox

Thanks, Felix

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 am

For Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

It works cheers

I don't even see the ads I used to see here

(I hope it does not block other things)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:46 am

felix wrote:Isa and Moonie

Here's what a poster recommended on the other forum - and others confirmed that it does the job:

You need simple adblock, gets rid of all the junk and ads.
It's safe, I've been running it for ages.

http://simple-adblock.com/

Enjoy

Very Happy Very Happy
I've not tried it myself. Let us know if you use it and it works for you? cat
Thanks felix...do I want to 'run' or 'save' the program?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:14 am

That site only allows me to download it. However in the other site (for firefox) I run the application and that's how it worked

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  felix on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:25 pm

blue moon wrote:
felix wrote:Isa and Moonie

Here's what a poster recommended on the other forum - and others confirmed that it does the job:

You need simple adblock, gets rid of all the junk and ads.
It's safe, I've been running it for ages.

http://simple-adblock.com/

Enjoy

Very Happy Very Happy
I've not tried it myself. Let us know if you use it and it works for you? cat
Thanks felix...do I want to 'run' or 'save' the program?
You need to 'save' the program - this'll download the installer to your hard disc; then when the download completes, 'run' the installer program to install the ad-block program.

I see that the initial download installs a 30-day trial version ... so it'll stop working after a month if you don't pay for it, I'm guessing.

I'm also having trouble with the initial configuration screen of the program! (Like, I can't configure it 'cos it 'hangs' while trying to download some .png picture, ffs! Evil or Very Mad )

So I'd say 'use it if it works for you', but beware, it doesn't work for everybody (ie, me!! No Sad scratch )

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Posts : 831
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : see the chicken?

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Do you both use internet explorer?
I think Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome are much better. Internet Explorer is very slow... or at least for me

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for the research and advice felix. I'm going to just continue to ignore the ads, though. I'm afraid of inviting anything into my computer.
Yes asdf, I use explorer. For no other reason than because it's familiar. Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  felix on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 am

OK, update:

simple_ad_block IS installed on my PC in its free, trial version. The terms of the trial are as follows:



[after the trial period,] the Free version is limited to blocking 200 adrequests per day.
To enjoy unlimited adblocking, please support the Simple Adblock project by
upgrading to the Pro version for 29,95 USD.


I've activated it. Now let's see if it does what it promises ...

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Posts : 831
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : see the chicken?

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:43 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum