all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nativity Scenes

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nativity Scenes Empty Nativity Scenes

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:17 am

Does anybody here create a nativity scene for Christmas. I haven't since I was a child. It was great. We put it with sawdust and moss and the stable, the houses and all the figures. But we never had a caganer... I always wanted one.

Nativity Scenes Caganer

These figures are caganeros - From cagar (to shit) - from the Latin: cacāre.

A Caganer is a figurine appearing in nativity scenes in oringinally Catalonia and also extended to the rest of Spain. The figure is depicted in the act of defecation.

Back to top Go down

Nativity Scenes Empty Re: Nativity Scenes

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:27 am

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:34 am

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:37 am

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:34 am

I watched the Barry Levinson film "Diner" again a few evenings ago. Unfortunately I can't find on youtube the scene where a drunken Kevin Bacon, in his underwear, trashes the local church's Nativity tableau.
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:42 am

Nativity Scenes 981220_G2XmasWar
Steve Bell. Nativity scene.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg
Happy Xmas (War is Over). Official video- John Lennon.

WARNING! Strong Content.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:59 am

eddie wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg
Happy Xmas (War is Over). Official video- John Lennon.

WARNING! Strong Content.
A youtuber says: "too graphic .... totally ruined the song"
I don't think it ruins it. It is the contrast- war (although over) and happy Christmas- what makes it a great song, no?

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:06 am

Ambiguous about it. I'm no longer a conventional Christian believer, but I accept the power of the mythology. John makes his point, though. So good luck to him.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 am

This photo is much to the point:

Nativity Scenes Christmas_Truce_1914
British and German troops meeting in No man's land during the unofficial [Christmas Day] truce. (British troops from the Northumberland Hussars, 7th Division, Bridoux-Rouge Banc Sector).
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:27 am

Man gets finger bitten off at school nativity
By Adam Parris-Long | Yahoo! News.

Nativity Scenes RexfNATIVITY_105053
A father had his finger bitten off by another parent as a brawl erupted at a school nativity in South Shields, Tyne and Wear.

The fight occurred at Harton Primary School, as one man bit another’s finger off and “spat it out like an animal”- according to a witness. The brawl began in a room prior to the nativity starting with shocked parents looking on.

The 32-year-old victim has been discharged from hospital after being treated for his injury while a 39-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault and later bailed by police.

“Two men started to fight in front of all the mums and dads,” a parent told ‘South Shields Gazette’. “One bit the finger off the other and spat the blood out like an animal.”

“I heard a bit of commotion from the back of the room and looked around to see what was going on,” another said. “A man in a white hat stormed in and went for another dad. They were fighting and blood was flying. It was broken up by teachers quite quickly and the man in the hat disappeared.”

It is thought that no children witnessed the incident as they were preparing for the nativity. A spokesman for the school said the children were not “at risk at any time” and they are assisting police with inquiries into the attack.

“On Tuesday at about 1.50pm an incident occurred at Harton Primary School,” a police spokesman said. “There was a disturbance between two male parents, and one sustained an injury to his hand which required medical treatment. The other man was arrested by police for assault and released on bail.”
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:53 am

Life of Brian - 3 Wise Men

you do a lot of this then? this praising? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:51 am

ULTRALIBERAL MENTALITY

Nativity Scenes Hatecrime
Old Mack
Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Vera Cruz wrote:Life of Brian - 3 Wise Men

you do a lot of this then? this praising? Laughing

Ha ha. Thanks for the reminder, Vera.

It will be noted by all but the more obscurantist that your clip (and, in fact the entire Life of Brian movie) makes a perfectly clear distinction between the nativities of Brian and Jesus. No blasphemy here. None at all.

And your very first post in this thread parallels the earthy humour of "The Second Shepherd's Play" in the medieval English miracle cycles.

Furthermore, the Christian message of the Mr Bean nativity sequence ought to be obvious to all but the most bigoted polemicist.

Happy Xmas.

Ed.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:07 am

A caganer is usually placed in big nativity scenes... not in the same stable as Jesus... but they're funny, the detail that among the three wise men, shepherds, baby Jesus and Virgin Mary, someone feels the call of nature.

I just remembered when I was a child I was watching a nativity scene in a school that wasn't mine... and I wanted those figures... my memory is not clear about whether I stole a few or not for my nativity scene at home. Anyway, that's the Christmas spirit... Laughing

Have a happy Christmas time, Eddie

I'll put a nativity scene depicting the birth of Eddie today so you don't feel discriminated alien

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:56 am

Vera Cruz wrote:I'll put a nativity scene depicting the birth of Eddie today so you don't feel discriminated alien
Here it is

Nativity Scenes 607892753664f50fdfd6z

I assume you were born in a hospital... but who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:05 am

WTF?? Shocked

Perivale maternity hospital, West London, in fact- although I don't remember much about it.

Except that I apparently arrived in this world courtesy of the UK's National Health (NHS) service.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:09 am

btw nice navel... your mother's

Edit: oops I don't know if this can sound disrespectful... it is not my intention

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Yesterday I was trying to be nice but I don't know if in my clumsiness my posts upset you somehow, Eddie... if so, sorry

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Vera Cruz wrote:Yesterday I was trying to be nice but I don't know if in my clumsiness my posts upset you somehow, Eddie... if so, sorry

I'm not in the least upset, sweetie. Au contraire, pretty amused. Smile
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:13 pm

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:04 pm

A note-perfect Nativity by Piero della Francesca

Jonathan Jones continues his seasonal series of best-loved wintry artworks with a 15th-century reimagining of the birth of Jesus, set against a tranquil Tuscan tableaux

Jonathan Jones

guardian.co.uk, Monday 12 December 2011 10.09 GMT

Nativity Scenes Piero-della-Francesca-The-002

This is one of the most beautiful nativity scenes ever painted. Even though it was left unfinished, it has an invincible calm authority. Piero has set the Christmas story in the Tuscany of his own time – this was painted in the 1470s – with a town that resembles his own, Borgo San Sepolcro, and rocks and water that evoke the landscapes of the river Arno. Most moving is the stable, a rough creation of grey stone, a decayed ruin on the outskirts of town. But when you look at the choir of angels, realism ends. Their limbs are rounded like the geometrical shapes Piero studied as a noted mathematician. The harmonies of their forms make you hear the perfect note they sound. Everything from the crystal sky to the prayer of the virgin adds to the sense of revelation

Photograph: National Gallery
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 am

Night of revelation: The Nativity at Night by Geertgen tot Sint Jans

Continuing with his series of favourite wintry artworks, Jonathan Jones feels a warm glow looking at the tender beauty of Geertgen tot Sint Jans's The Nativity at Night (c1490)

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 21 December 2011 11.07 GMT

Nativity Scenes The-Nativity-at-Night-by--001
The tender beauty of this little painting pulls at your heart when you come across it in London’s National Gallery. The artist’s name means 'little Gerard of Saint John', and he worked in Haarlem in the Netherlands. His art seems frozen in religious contemplation. This is a believer’s Nativity. It is a mystic attempt to imagine that holy night. The darkness is illuminated by the child in the manger: the golden glow around the infant Christ lights up adoring angels and the pearl-smooth oval of Mary’s reverent face. Joseph is in the shadows. And all around the stable hangs the deepest dark of a night of revelation

Photograph: The National Gallery, London
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:07 am

The Son shines in The Adoration of the Shepherds by Guido Reni

In the runup to Christmas, art critic Jonathan Jones is selecting his favourite wintry works. Today it's this huge heartwarming canvas, as bright and bold as street theatre

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 22 December 2011 11.50 GMT

Nativity Scenes Guido-Renis-The-Adoration-008
This huge painting tugs shamelessly at heartstrings, yet also seems deeply felt and honest. Guido Reni painted an equally imposing version of the same story for the Certosa di S Martino in Naples, and it makes sense to think of this picture too – which is in the National Gallery – as a great uninhibited piece of popular Christianity, merging with the Baroque pinnacles of Naples that look like marble Christmas trees, and the carved crib-scenes sold there. As bright and bold as street theatre, this is a painting of the people, for the people

Photograph: The National Gallery, London
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:45 am

Nativity Scenes Steve-Bell-cartoon-004
Steve Bell. Cameron's Christmas.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder