Homer and the barnstormers--who were they REALLY?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homer and the barnstormers--who were they REALLY?

Post  pinhedz on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 am

They say this record is incredibly rare (shoot--I didn't know that when I bought it ).

The story goes that it was made by famous musicians that were signed with other record labels, so they did this in-cog-neato for a discount record label:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Homer and the barnstormers--who were they REALLY?

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 11, 2015 12:01 pm

There are forums where people talk about nothing but banjos. Very Happy

The second poster here thinks he's got it figured out Suspect (his links don't work tho. Neutral ):

Q: "Dad bought that LP when it came out back in the 1960s and we loved it, cause it had "new tunes" for banjo players to learn (actually old tunes, but not in the Earl repertoire). Loved the wild cover photography, and we sure wondered what brand some of those banjos were!"

"And how we speculated on the pickers! "Homer" surely must mean Homer Haynes of Homer and Jethro, so that led to speculation Jethro was on there too. Banjo picking guesses included Buck Trent, Sonny Osborne and vague unnamed "Nashville banjo pickers". We never did find out who they all were."

"That LP ranked high back in the 60s along with all those good Bill Emerson LPs, Walter Hensley, Stanley Alpine, and the other budget label banjo albums!"

A: "It's Buck Trent. I even posted sound clips from known Buck recordings of the same tunes. I could probably dredge all that up again…"

"Drag out your Homer LP, go to Side B and Play Camptown Races. I hear a great deal of Buck Trent in that - not just in the Camptown Races, but the second part of that tune they switch to Cindy. Well, Buck recorded Cindy on his "Sound of a 5-String Banjo" album. The two are amazingly similar. It's not just the lead, it's the back up too. I've posted both tunes here."

From the Homer LP:

toolrocket.com/jim/banjo/homer...races.mp3

From the Buck Trent LP:

toolrocket.com/jim/banjo/homer/02Cindy.mp3

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Youtubers dispute the Buck Trent claim:

Pickinbuddy 4 years ago
It is not Buck Trent, but a local player from the Media, PA area.  Dave Miller who owned this label, never used name musicians--but local radio bands, and paid them minimal money...the names of these musicians are known only to whoever has the recording session log sheets for Miller International.

mowog7 2 years ago
I read that the banjo player was Alan Shelton (of bending the strings fame). When asked outright if it was him he refused to confirm or deny it but smiled enigmatically.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:32 pm

pinhedz wrote:mowog7 2 years ago
I read that the banjo player was Alan Shelton (of bending the strings fame). When asked outright if it was him he refused to confirm or deny it but smiled enigmatically.

I have just learned that Allen Shelton of "Bending the Strings" fame has, as of June of last year, passed over into Glory Land.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top