Obsession

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Obsession

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:58 am

It's a recurrent theme in cinema: obsession. Unless they eat human meat there's something very attractive about obsessive characters. They're determined to do what they have to do or they just inevitably end up doing what they didn't plan to do. There's an obsessive mind and a subject of obsession... which is charming. Sometimes those who lose ground to move have to recover it somehow. Sometimes an specific need appears.

"The skin I live in" that I saw recently fits this thread... but I won't say more in order to not spoil your enjoyment of the movie.

Claude Chabrol's films centers on obsession. Don't they?
This is a movie I enjoyed a lot: The Bridesmaid

Back to top Go down

Re: Obsession

Post  Lee Van Queef on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:05 am

Spike Jonzes' 'Adaptation' deals with obsession in an interesting way. Worth a watch.

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 am

Not to despise your word but I've just seen the trailer and I think I wouldn't like it. The fact that Nicolas Cage is in the movie plays a part in it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 am

asdf wrote:They're determined to do what they have to do
I think Donald Sutherland fits this category in Fellini's 'Casanova':

"He's inexorably drawn by his inclinations and reputation into a succession of chilly, unfulfilling sexual encounters, culminating in making love to a mechanical doll"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 am

^ I don't know if it deals with obsession but there's a japanese movie some people talked me about: Air Doll.

"Middle-aged Hideo lives alone with an inflatable doll he calls Nozomi. The doll is his closest companion. He dresses it up, talks to it over dinner, takes it out for walks in the community (with the doll in a wheel chair) and has sexual intercourse with it. However, unbeknown to Hideo, Nozomi finds a heart."

Edit: I think he might be obsessed hehe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:38 am

Glenn Close's performance in Fatal Attraction was worthy of a new adjective:

"Bunny boiler is a pejorative term for an obsessive and dangerous person, referring to a former lover who stalks the person who spurned them. The term is normally used for a woman who stalks a male former lover.

The term derives from a scene in the 1987 film Fatal Attraction where a scorned woman (played by Glenn Close), seeking revenge on her ex-lover, kills his daughter's beloved pet rabbit and places the deceased animal in a pot of boiling water while the family's away when from home. The scene concludes with the family returning to the house...while the daughter's in the garden searching for her rabbit, the mother's lifting the lid off the bubbling pot to reveal her deceased pet (parts of the scene were cut from syndicated broadcasts.)"

I once used the term 'bunny-boiler' and had to explain what I meant.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 pm

asdf wrote:Not to despise your word but I've just seen the trailer and I think I wouldn't like it. The fact that Nicolas Cage is in the movie plays a part in it.

Cage is a turn-off for any sane person, although it should also be noted that he is actually in a number of very good films.

The film is excellent, written by Charlie Kauffman, the writer of "Sunshine of a Spotless Mind" and "Being John Malkovich".

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:26 am

Ossessione
Often considered one of the first examples of Italian neorealism, Luchino Visconti's first film was this adaptation of James M. Cain's steamy novel The Postman Always Rings Twice, which would also be made twice in the U.S., first in 1946 with Lana Turner and John Garfield and then in 1981 with Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange. Massimo Girotti stars as a drifter named Gino, who gets a job at a provincial inn. The handsome wanderer attempts to resist the advances of Giovanna (Clara Calamai), the estranged wife of nasty innkeeper Bragana (Juan de Landa), but he eventually gives in. Gino then allows her to talk him into killing Bragana to get the insurance money, with predictable results. Although the melodramatic story is a far cry from the post-war social statements of such later neorealist classics as Roberto Rossellini's Rome, Open City (1945) and Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves (1948), the movie began to feature some of neorealism's defining characteristics: above all, an emphasis on outdoor shooting and natural light and a relentless focus on the lives of the poor. Ossessione caused a sensation not just because of its lurid subject matter but also because Visconti's realist style makes you practically feel the heat and dirt and sweat of the film's environment. ~ Robert Firsching, Rovi

I saw it years ago and would like to see it again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 pm

I guess Almodóvar's movie Talk to Her fits here too.

The main character, a nurse, is obsessed with the girl in a coma he takes care of.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Paul Aufiero is a parking garage attendant who lives with his mother in Staten Island, New York. He relentlessly follows the New York Giants football team. He and his friend Sal faithfully attend each Giants game; however, as they can't afford tickets, they must content themselves with watching the games on a battery-powered TV in the stadium parking lot.

Paul is also a regular caller to the Sports Dogg's radio talk show, where he refers to himself as "Paul from Staten Island," rants in support of the Giants, and berates his mysterious on-air rival, Philadelphia Eagles fanatic "Philadelphia Phil." Paul's family criticizes him for doing nothing with his life. He disregards their scorn and happily devotes himself to his beloved team.

One day Paul and Sal spot Giants star and Paul's favorite player Quantrell Bishop and his entourage in Staten Island. They follow Bishop to a drug deal in Stapleton. Though the pair see Bishop buying something, they naively fail to recognize the transaction. They then follow him into a strip club in Manhattan.

Mustering their courage, Paul and Sal introduce themselves to Bishop. All goes well until the two fans innocently mention that they saw Bishop in Stapleton. The intoxicated Bishop becomes enraged and brutally beats Paul, who is hospitalized for his injuries.

Following the incident, Bishop is suspended from the team. Paul's personal-injury lawyer brother Jeff and NYPD Detective Velardi pressure Paul to bring charges against Bishop, but Paul refuses, worried about the effect on the Giants' performance if they permanently lose their star Linebacker. The charges against Bishop are eventually dropped and he returns to the team.

Jeff then files a $77 million civil lawsuit against Bishop "on Paul's behalf," claiming Paul is mentally incompetent to bring the lawsuit himself. When a reporter phones Paul to ask him "about the lawsuit," Paul becomes livid. He drives to Jeff's house, storms into Jeff's bathroom, and confronts him as he sits on the toilet.

Philadelphia Phil researches Paul on the Internet and reveals on Sports Dogg's show that the victim of the Quantrell Bishop beating is in fact "Paul from Staten Island," humiliating him.

Paul heads for Philadelphia to confront Phil.

Disguised as an Eagles fanatic, Paul identifies Phil in a local bar and gains his trust as they watch the Giants and Eagles play the season's pivotal final game.

As the Eagles dominate the Giants, the crowd in the bar begins to deride the Giants in increasingly enthusiastic fashion, much to Paul's consternation.

When time runs out and the Eagles fanatics celebrate their victory, Paul follows Phil into the men's room and pulls a gun on him, shooting Phil multiple times.

Phil, lying shocked on the men's room floor, stares at his hands, which are now covered in red and blue, the Giants' colors.

The gun is a paintball gun.

Paul utters "Eagles suck!" and flees from the bar.

Paul is arrested and imprisoned for the assault. Sal visits Paul in jail and reveals to him the Giants' schedule for the following season. A key game coincides with the week Paul is scheduled to be released---and naturally Paul is overjoyed.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:09 pm

Sponsored content