all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obsession

Go down

Obsession Empty Obsession

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:58 am

It's a recurrent theme in cinema: obsession. Unless they eat human meat there's something very attractive about obsessive characters. They're determined to do what they have to do or they just inevitably end up doing what they didn't plan to do. There's an obsessive mind and a subject of obsession... which is charming. Sometimes those who lose ground to move have to recover it somehow. Sometimes an specific need appears.

"The skin I live in" that I saw recently fits this thread... but I won't say more in order to not spoil your enjoyment of the movie.

Claude Chabrol's films centers on obsession. Don't they?
This is a movie I enjoyed a lot: The Bridesmaid

Back to top Go down

Obsession Empty Re: Obsession

Post  Lee Van Queef Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:05 am

Spike Jonzes' 'Adaptation' deals with obsession in an interesting way. Worth a watch.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 am

Not to despise your word but I've just seen the trailer and I think I wouldn't like it. The fact that Nicolas Cage is in the movie plays a part in it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 am

asdf wrote:They're determined to do what they have to do
I think Donald Sutherland fits this category in Fellini's 'Casanova':

"He's inexorably drawn by his inclinations and reputation into a succession of chilly, unfulfilling sexual encounters, culminating in making love to a mechanical doll"

Obsession Donald-Sutherland-and-Che-006

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 am

^ I don't know if it deals with obsession but there's a japanese movie some people talked me about: Air Doll.

Obsession Airdollposter

"Middle-aged Hideo lives alone with an inflatable doll he calls Nozomi. The doll is his closest companion. He dresses it up, talks to it over dinner, takes it out for walks in the community (with the doll in a wheel chair) and has sexual intercourse with it. However, unbeknown to Hideo, Nozomi finds a heart."

Edit: I think he might be obsessed hehe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:38 am

Glenn Close's performance in Fatal Attraction was worthy of a new adjective:

"Bunny boiler is a pejorative term for an obsessive and dangerous person, referring to a former lover who stalks the person who spurned them. The term is normally used for a woman who stalks a male former lover.

The term derives from a scene in the 1987 film Fatal Attraction where a scorned woman (played by Glenn Close), seeking revenge on her ex-lover, kills his daughter's beloved pet rabbit and places the deceased animal in a pot of boiling water while the family's away when from home. The scene concludes with the family returning to the house...while the daughter's in the garden searching for her rabbit, the mother's lifting the lid off the bubbling pot to reveal her deceased pet (parts of the scene were cut from syndicated broadcasts.)"

Obsession Draft_lens18239609module151927757photo_1311964731fatal_attraction

I once used the term 'bunny-boiler' and had to explain what I meant.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 pm

asdf wrote:Not to despise your word but I've just seen the trailer and I think I wouldn't like it. The fact that Nicolas Cage is in the movie plays a part in it.

Cage is a turn-off for any sane person, although it should also be noted that he is actually in a number of very good films.

The film is excellent, written by Charlie Kauffman, the writer of "Sunshine of a Spotless Mind" and "Being John Malkovich".
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:26 am

Ossessione
Often considered one of the first examples of Italian neorealism, Luchino Visconti's first film was this adaptation of James M. Cain's steamy novel The Postman Always Rings Twice, which would also be made twice in the U.S., first in 1946 with Lana Turner and John Garfield and then in 1981 with Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange. Massimo Girotti stars as a drifter named Gino, who gets a job at a provincial inn. The handsome wanderer attempts to resist the advances of Giovanna (Clara Calamai), the estranged wife of nasty innkeeper Bragana (Juan de Landa), but he eventually gives in. Gino then allows her to talk him into killing Bragana to get the insurance money, with predictable results. Although the melodramatic story is a far cry from the post-war social statements of such later neorealist classics as Roberto Rossellini's Rome, Open City (1945) and Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves (1948), the movie began to feature some of neorealism's defining characteristics: above all, an emphasis on outdoor shooting and natural light and a relentless focus on the lives of the poor. Ossessione caused a sensation not just because of its lurid subject matter but also because Visconti's realist style makes you practically feel the heat and dirt and sweat of the film's environment. ~ Robert Firsching, Rovi

Obsession Ossessione002

I saw it years ago and would like to see it again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 pm

I guess Almodóvar's movie Talk to Her fits here too.

The main character, a nurse, is obsessed with the girl in a coma he takes care of.

Obsession Hableconella

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum