Lou Reed

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lou Reed

Post  Andy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 am

He often said that he wanted his recordings to have an impact on listeners similar to that of a person sitting with you in the room, talking to you. There are very few artists who have had an impact on my personlality to the same degree as he has - only Jacques Brel, in fact.
So in away, losing Lou isn't really about the death of "rock-icon" or whatever the papers are calling it to me.
It's the loss of someone whom I felt to be quite close to me, in fact.

People die. A lot of them aren't as lucky as Lou has been. But dammit, I'm going to miss this man a lot.

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 am

Now the commenters are talking about how Lou was never a major suck-sess with top-40 hits and big record sales because he was underground.

News to me, because I was listening to the late-night Tony Glover show, where Lou was as big as anybody.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 am

Absolutely true: Lou was neither the marginalized artist some portray him to have been, nor the deeply revered leading example all those paying him their tributes are making him look like.

There's an article in Dutch by Belgian journalist Serge Simonart that probably has it right.
Everybody despises Serge because he thinks way too much of himself - to be frank: in Belgium modesty is valued to the point where self-confidence and an outspoken opinion are enough to make you come off as blatantly arrogant.
So his infamous quote 'I call Bowie David' is sometimes changed into 'David can call me Serge'.

Anyway: he obviously is speaking about himself rather than Lou, starting with how he sneaked in backstage back in the mid-70's as a very young teenager up through all the encounters he had with a cold and cantankerous man.
None of that is new or interesting.
But his conclusion, I think, is probably spot on: Lou had grown into a member of the Rock 'n' roll bourgeois and his underground though image was just that, an image. He says something to the effect that you were more likely to meet Lou in the luxurious restaurant of the 'Hotel Georges V' in Paris than on any true 'wild side' in New York City.

Nonetheless, I do believe that Lou - for better or for worse - is an interesting and beautiful example of a person shunning all too much compromise. Brel once said ''Mieux vaut se tomper que de se taire." - "It's better to be mistaken than to remain silent" Lou seems to have lived up to that maxim in an absolutely cool way.

Last night - my local time - I didn't lose an icon or a legend or anything like that. I lost someone whom I felt was somehow intimate to me. For lack of a better term: a friend.

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 am

Andy wrote:Brel once said ''Mieux vaut se tomper que de se taire." - "It's better to be mistaken than to remain silent" ... 
I take that to mean "Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all." I love you 

Alternatively (on speaking rather than loving), I might have to go with Mark Twain: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." jocolor

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 am

This one goes straight to my heart

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 am

The Tony Glover show came on at midnight in Minneapolis, MN. He said he had no boundaries, except that he didn't play Top-40 (no need, yes?).

Tony played Velvet Underground, but I never heard "Walk on the Wild Side" until I had resettled in NYC.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 pm

not exactly sure what point the Europeen is getting at, if Louis kept walking on the wild side, he would have died in his 30s or 40s instead of at 71. rockeroll undergrounding and gauntlet-tossin is for youth... the dude more than earned some nice meals in the Hotel du Rosbif Chevalier VII or whatev

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  glue moon on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 am

with Lolabelle

glue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  glue moon on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 pm

How lovely, duets of people killing each other

glue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:41 am

I'm thinking of changing my name to "Glue Reed."  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebottle on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:03 am

My friend Eccles telled me I should change my name to gluebottle. I don't know what he meaned. I think he was making a joke.

bluebottle

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:36 am

tween major motion pictures, advertisements, Canadian Idol, and Bono renditions, the powers that be are doin their best to ruin the Perfect Day. Tho it took all that overkill for me to realize the words are "drink Sangria in the park," you see i have a tendency to listen to lyrics as meaningless phonetic sounds, pehraps cuz of too much listening as a tweenager to doodoowop and Brine Weeno, natch

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 am

user wrote:not exactly sure what point the Europeen is getting at, if Louis kept walking on the wild side, he would have died in his 30s or 40s instead of at 71.  rockeroll undergrounding and gauntlet-tossin is for youth... the dude more than earned some nice meals in the Hotel du Rosbif Chevalier VII or whatev

OMG, do you realize how boojwah you sound? pshah

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 am

sorree, wot i meant 2 say wuz ... KILL WHITEY ... ... ... ...  BULGER

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  u on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Last edited by Bot Walker on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Doktor Evil wrote:
user wrote:
user wrote:not exactly sure what point the Europeen is getting at, if Louis kept walking on the wild side, he would have died in his 30s or 40s instead of at 71.  rockeroll undergrounding and gauntlet-tossin is for youth... the dude more than earned some nice meals in the Hotel du Rosbif Chevalier VII or whatev

OMG, do you realize how boojwah you sound?  pshah

No, you sound like a wise old man, with one eye, and a withered, weather face whose nose appears to be a banana.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 pm

?

Last edited by Woo on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:27 am; edited 3 times in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:29 am

While this is nothing like me, I can't help but admit his passing away 'somehow gets me down'. Sad 

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 pm

This is for you Andy.
I posted Lou's 'translation' of Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven' in the poetry section for you as well. I think it's awesome. Lou Reed was the first live musician I ever saw, way back...

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  glue moon on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

glue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:50 pm

damn lazy san Francisco hippies

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:45 am

Last edited by d e on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:34 pm

woo wrote:damn lazy san Francisco hippies

Wasn't Lou Reed more of the Eastern Coast persuasion?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:31 pm

pinhedz wrote:
woo wrote:damn lazy san Francisco hippies

Wasn't Lou Reed more of the Eastern Coast persuasion?

When my post are made up of blue letters, then you are to clicky click it...foo.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top