Lou Reed

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lou Reed

Post  pinhedz on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:52 am

Andy wrote:Dylan sounds like a muppet who had too much to drink reading a spanish newspaper. bounce
That's now. But Lou used to imitate 60's Bob back during the Velvet-Underground period. I doubt Lou would ever imitate present-day Bob. geek

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:32 am

There are some demo recordings from that first V.U. record that do sound very Dylanesque - I believe they are the only tapes on which you can Lou hear playing a harmonica.

But I'm not really sure what official VU-releases have a specific Dylanesque sound to them.
There are even some pre-VU records - 'Your love', 'Merry go round', ... - on which Lou actually sounds as a relatively good pop singer!

I have often said that one of the most fundamental differences between present day Bob & Lou is that Lou appears to be a lot more aware of his capacities and, more importantly, shortcomings than Bob. Lou may not always deliver stunning performances by sticking to his limitations but at least it isn't as embarrasing as what Dylan does.
From what I've heard from this new record, it would seem Lou may have crossed that line!

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 am

Andy wrote:There are some demo recordings from that first V.U. record that do sound very Dylanesque - I believe they are the only tapes on which you can Lou hear playing a harmonica.
You mean like the song I posted first in this thread?
I want to hear more like that one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 am

Andy wrote:Dylan sounds like a muppet

alien

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:15 am

asdf wrote:
You mean like the song I posted first in this thread?
I want to hear more like that one.

I hadn't listened to it yet, but that's one of them yes.
There was a VU-boxset called 'Peel slowly and see' that contained a disc filled with this type of stuff.
If memory serves there's also a version of 'I'm waiting for the man' that sounds very Dylan-folky.

I'm glad he quit that style after that afternoon or so.
I'd rather listen to stuff like this:

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:19 am

asdf wrote:

alien

Jesus, that sucks.
And to think he wrote such clever classics ...

The Bells, btw, IS a really good record if you ask me.

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Peep this

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Curzon on Demand: Lou Reed's Berlin

Julian Schnabel's film of a 2006 performance of Lou Reed's 10-song tragedy captures all the greatness of this bleak and beautiful album

Lou Reed's 1973 album Berlin is 'a beautiful downer'. Photograph: Axel Schmidt/AFP/Getty Images

Was there ever a more deliriously miserable album than Berlin, Lou Reed's anguished 10-song tragedy about two star-crossed junkies and what became of them? Recorded in 1973, when the singer was on the cusp of mainstream stardom following Walk on the Wild Side, it was the record that almost broke him. Berlin was a financial flop and a critical calamity; dismissed as "a disaster" by Rolling Stone magazine. Three decades on, the same publication was hailing it as one of the greatest albums ever made.

Lou Reed's Berlin
Production year: 2007
Cert (UK): 12A
Runtime: 81 mins
Directors: Julian Schnabel

Berlin, in short, is a beautiful downer. It burns and it bites and it should be approached with caution. For years it seemed that even its creator had no wish to revisit the thing; snubbing it in his live performances and bristling whenever interviewers attempted to draw him on the subject. But in December 2006, Reed (succumbing to a rare bout of nostalgia) agreed to recreate the album in full, over five nights, at a concert hall in Brooklyn. Visitors to St Ann's Warehouse are duly welcomed by the film-maker Julian Schnabel, who invites them to "turn off your cell-phones and have a good time." From here, it's a clear run through to the suicide.

Schnabel's camera frames Reed on stage: a foursquare figure against the watery back-projection, bookended by 12 choristers and a 30-strong band. He sings of Jim and Caroline, two footloose drug addicts who fall in love and fall on their fronts. Jim comes to hate Caroline; he thinks she's a "slut". Eventually, their offspring taken into care, Caroline reaches for the razor blade and opens her wrist. Poor Jim is left to pine for her, and eulogise her in verse although, even here, his resentment still bubbles ("Somebody else would have broken both her arms," he concedes on the album's wistful closing track).

By contrast, on the evidence of Schnabel's film, Reed looks to have made his peace with this unhappy duo. If Berlin was an album about loss, ruin and ghosts, then there's something fitting about the sight of the musician on stage, with grey in his hair and specs on his nose, turning back to re-open the old sores. The songs stand up; still pack a wallop. And yet Reed's gentle, world-weary delivery finds new angles into this material, making it bleed afresh to clean the wound.

Job complete, there is just time for some other classics from the Reed back catalogue before he takes his leave. This, I'm guessing is his concession to the audience; their reward for sticking with him on his return trip through hell. And when the electrifying Sweet Jane kicks in – spinning dreams of freedom and fireplaces, wine and roses – it's like the sun breaking through, the landscape opening out; like Larkin's arrow shower sent out of sight, somewhere becoming rain.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:57 am

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Dude, that's is soo much better. If you order that off of Itunes will they give you a free bowl of soup? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Fail.

Aloha, brah! Smile

Last edited by woo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Dude, that could be souper. A guitar tuned to D-D-D-D-D-D. Mahalo. This tuning is to be called the Ostrich Tuning. Choom Gang.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:19 pm

user wrote:

Awesome!

Last edited by woo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 pm

And Pickwick refuses to dine at Applebee's again. Hmm.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

So Ka Pua is all "who is Pickwick" and then the posting was liquidated. To understand Pickwick we must first realize that it encompasses DLP's, such as DLP 244- Latin American Dancing Party by Nono Morales & His Borrachestra ... and then you have a SHM 3100 like The New Erotic Dreams by Pasquale Dagorn & The Love Sounds Cotillion, OK. So there are those who deny with enthusiasm the existence of a God and are happy in a hobby which they call the Mistakes of Moses. I have not studied their labours in detail, but it seems that the chief mistake of Moses was that he neglected to write the Pentateuch. The lesser errors, apparently, were not made by Moses, but by another person equally unknown. These controversialists cover the very widest field, and their attacks upon Scripture are varied to the point of wildness. They range from the proposition that the unexpurgated Bible is almost as unfit for an American girls' school as is an unexpurgated Shakespeare; they descend to the proposition that kissing the Book is almost as hygienically dangerous as kissing the babies of the poor. A superficial critic might well imagine that there was not one single sentence left of the Hebrew or Christian Scriptures which this school had not marked with some ingenious and uneducated comment. But there is one passage at least upon which they have never pounced, at least to my knowledge; and in pointing it out to them I feel that I am, or ought to be, providing material for quite a multitude of Hyde Park orations. I mean that singular arrangement in the mystical account of the Creation by which light is created first and all the luminous bodies afterwards. One could not imagine a process more open to the elephantine logic of the Bible-smasher than this: that the sun should be created after the sunlight. The conception that lies at the back of the phrase is indeed profoundly antagonistic to much of the modern point of view. To many modern people it would sound like saying that foliage existed before the first leaf; it would sound like saying that childhood existed before a baby was born. The idea is, as I have said, alien to most modern thought, and like many other ideas which are alien to most modern thought, it is a very subtle and a very sound idea. Whatever be the meaning of the passage in the actual primeval poem, there is a very real metaphysical meaning in the idea that light existed before the sun and stars. It is not barbaric; it is rather Platonic. The idea existed before any of the machinery which made manifest the idea. Justice existed when there was no need of judges, and mercy existed before any man was oppressed.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 pm

^^And here I thought that Pickwick was me and Applebee's was ATU. I need to take a refresher course in Hermeneutics if I've ever gonna learn how to properly interpret User... Smile

wish this summer would never have ended.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:08 pm

perfect day... I always thought it was autumn

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:49 am

senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Severin?

Severin.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm

A seminal event in the history of what was to become Western Canada was the 1874 "March West" of the federal government's new North-West Mounted Police. Despite poor equipment and lack of provisions, the men on the march persevered and established a federal presence in the new territory. Historians [wha who?] have argued that had this expedition been unsuccessful, the expansionist United States would have been tempted to expand into the political vacuum.[citation like needed]

The construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway would likely have been delayed or taken a different, more northerly route, stunting the early growth of towns like Brandon, Regina, Medicine Hat and Calgary – had these existed at all. Failure to construct the railway could also have forced British Columbia to join the United States.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 pm

the lawsuit destined for an a-peel: the legendary sued the A. Warhol Foundation for illegally licensing the iconic banana cover from debut

a walk on the legal wild side: claimed the Foundation was wrongly peddling the banana image for use with Apple’s iPhone and iPad.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 pm

so i wondre-- what was the influencing of Loo Reed on first-run syndication broadcast television programming of the 1990s?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Weld for starters, Louseph Reed's "Metal Machine Musics" was the inspiration for the speaking voice of the disagreeable Breen on Paramount's Strek Deap Space Nine featuring Rene Auberjonois,,, according to showrunner Ira Behr.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Goddamit Lou, I'm gonna miss you. Sad 
Thanks for all you gave me and countless others.

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  glue moon on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Thought of you Andy, as you are the Lou Reed freak I know. Listening to Legendary Hearts album here

glue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top