all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sport is for winners

3 posters

Go down

Sport is for winners Empty Re: Sport is for winners

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Most people are winners when it comes to participation.
Eric the eel was well last in an Olympic race , but he is probably remembered more than the guy who woin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 pm

I've started exercising regularly, but I don't enjoy sports. I don't like the competition...

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:52 pm

I do cross country running each winter I have got slower and slower and now in my 62nd year can not run as fast as I used to. I finish well last in many races , however as I cross the line a cheer usually errupts as people appreciate the effort I put in.
3 years ago there was a 15 kilometre race . I decided to enter I told the organizers if I was not in sight when the second last runner finished that they could come and pick me up.
The race started after we settled down I was last by about 300 metres . I thought this would be the way the race would pan out. However as the race continued he had not gained any more on me by the half way mark. In fact I was actually staring to gain on him . By the 11 kilometre stage he was only 30 or so metres ahead of me. At the 13 kilometre post I edged past him and maintained a narrow lead until about 300 metres before the finish . I could feel him catching up and ran as fast as I could to the finish line just getting there before he did.
We shook hands and talked to each other despite being over 40 minutes slower than the runner who finished first we were both winners as we had finished.

Last edited by Doc Watson on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:58 am

yeah, I love competition......must be the testosterone.......haha

I'm an obnoxious little cunt when it comes to winning....... Like a Star @ heaven
ISN
ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 pm

it is not actually necessary to be first to win . You can try for personal bests etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Sport is a favourite subject..Sport is for winners 1969_leunig..for Aussie cartoonists like Leunig.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:43 pm

...and then there's the sport for people who just can't let things go...

Sport is for winners Leunig_catching_up_2

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:23 pm

That maybe American football which during my stay in Canada and the United States I tried to watch many times on TV. It was unrelated to any other type of football I have ever watched. Often I never saw the ball kicked , or if I did it was one or two kicks amid several stoppages, time outs and other things. I saw the bll thrown and carried .
In all other versions of football , the ball is actually kicked.
Brain injuries due to collisions and head crunching blows are common in Australian and American football as well as both types of rugby. However the sad thing is that generally these injuries are not diagnosed or recognized until the footballer has stopped playing . There needs to be a rule in every code of football that any player who is concussed can not play any further part in that game and in fact he should not play for a further fortnight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:54 pm

had he visited Australia and seen football his conclusions may have been different.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:55 pm

howevewr had he seen a game of Aussie rules , he may still be here.

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:12 pm

My dad loved Aussie Rules. Essendon. The Bombers. 
He used to call it aerial ping-pong.
blue moon
blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:06 pm

blue moon wrote:My dad loved Aussie Rules. Essendon. The Bombers. 
He used to call it aerial ping-pong.
He was not a real lover of the game "aerial ping pong is regarded as a term of derision.

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:30 pm

Oh. I guess it's my memory again. So unreliable these days. I often marry together things that never wed. Because he did love footy. is your brother doing Yungaburra this year? I think I saw his name on the programme.
blue moon
blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:03 am

blue moon wrote:Oh. I guess it's my memory again. So unreliable these days. I often marry together things that never wed. Because he did love footy. is your brother doing Yungaburra this year? I think I saw his name on the programme.
As far as I know he is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:That maybe American football which during my stay in Canada and the United States I tried to watch many times on TV. It was unrelated to any other type of football I have ever watched. Often I never saw the ball kicked , or if I did it was one or two kicks amid several stoppages, time outs and other things. I saw the bll thrown and carried .
In all other versions of football , the ball is actually kicked.
  Brain injuries due to collisions and head crunching blows are common in Australian and American football as well as both types of rugby. However the sad thing is that generally these injuries are not diagnosed or recognized until the footballer has stopped playing . There needs to be a rule in every code of football that any player who is concussed can not play any further part in that game and in fact he should not play for a further fortnight.

Kicking game can be huge though in USA Gridiron Football, one famous American team the USA 49ers, had very good winning record last season, but were pretty bad in the red zone (last 20 yards of field towards score zone) or would have stalled drives because of a run-centric attack, and so depended very much on abilities of place kicker Phil "The Phil" Dawson ... conversely, last week 49ers would've have probably won shitty game versus Rams had long-tenured punter Andy Lee NOT made one of the worst punts of his career, when Niners were already pinned back.

and also we can be remembering that the New Orleans Saints won their superbowl thanks in part to a sneaky "onside kick" to start the second half

and games are won or lost just about every week on last minute or last second kicking field goals
Australian rules players wear no protection, are involved in heavy physical bone crunching clashes several times a game, in a typical game of Australian rules the football will be kicked over 400 times , often 60 or more yards. Both sides will take many marks or catches often leaping great heights over opposition. There may be 60 or more of these in a normal game. As well each team will deliver around 400 handpasses , an action where the ball is held in one hand and punched with a clenched fist. All this action occurs in about 2 hours of no stop play , punctuated into 4 quarters of approximately 30 minutes each.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Be that as it may, when I watched , the stop start nature of Gridiron made it hard for me to maintain interest.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:but one can't understand what just happened until one takes the 30 seconds between plays to analyze the last one from 7 different camera angles and 5 different speeds.  It can be said to be the Brian De Palma of sport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashomon
Too much discussion and over examination of incidents in a game ruins it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:05 pm

ok

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 am

Sport has no logic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content